Headphone Choice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dreftar, Mar 25, 2007.

1. dreftar

dreftar

I finally made the decision and have ordered a pair of AKG 701s from
    www.thomann.de/gb/index.html I have done business with this site before and they are excellent - Great Price, Low delivery cost and good service.

Anyway the choice was between Senn 650s and the AKG 701, living on the Shetland Islands meant that it was impossible to try before buy so I asked for the forums assistance. Help from the site was ambiguous so I read everything I could on the net. Information about AKG 701 was scant in comparison with the Senn 650. I own a pair of Sennheiser 212Pros and a pair of AKG K 301s. They cost similar amounts to buy but the AKGs are in a different league. The AKG 301s are about 10 years old now and beginning to fall apart. I have had a great time with them and hope their replacement AKG 701s will give me as much enjoyment over the next 10 years.

Thank you to everyone for their assistance with making my choice!!

dreftar, Mar 25, 2007
  2. dreftar

Tenson Moderator

I'm sure you will be very happy with them. I have a pair of 401 and they did take some time to break in, so give them a week of non-stop music before making judgement.

Tenson, Mar 25, 2007
  3. dreftar

SMEagol Because we wants it...

RE headphones

for those on a budget (normally me!) I really like the grado SR80's, the leads not that long but you can get an extension. I use one of those blue dot valve headphone amps you can get on ebay. Its a really nice combo for about £150 quid!

Cheers all :)

SMEagol, Mar 28, 2007
  4. dreftar

DennyL

I bought my AKG K501s from Thomann, and the service was fine. The only thing I didn't like was that the courier left them at a nearby house of someone I'd never met before.

I bought my K701s from EarphoneSolutions.com in the US at a great price.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the K701s. Will you use a headphone amplifier?

DennyL, Mar 30, 2007
  5. dreftar

dreftar

I will use them with my REGA EAR Headphone amp. The headphone Amp on my Pre amp - Tag MacLaren PA10 is not really up to it. The difference is quite staggering. I listen a lot to music with headphones. SWMBO loves the TV so I get the phones on!!! I prefer listening via speakers tho'. Even tho the sound is smooth and detailed via the phones the whole musical experience is better via the speakers.

dreftar, Mar 30, 2007
  6. dreftar

DennyL

If you still have some spare funds you could risk visiting head-fi.org, where there are many threads on amps that are thought to synergise well with K701s, and get talked into upgrading that Rega Ear; I think there might be scope for improvement there. Many are raving at the moment about the Heed Canamp. I use a DarkVoice 336.

DennyL, Apr 1, 2007
Ask a Question