Headphone listening - Which way is up??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by themystical, Dec 20, 2005.

1. themystical

themystical

The senheisser HD600 headphones coupled to an X-Can V2 headphone amplifier sound good imo but I would like an even better headphone experience. Is the way to go with the electrostatic Stax headphones? Or are there other ways to headphone nirvana!!! What is peoples experience on this forum?

themystical, Dec 20, 2005
  2. themystical

Garmt

I had the HD600 with X-Can V2 and largely prefer my Stax Lambda Signature + SRM-3. The HD600 is very easy to listen to, but was never able to give me what the Stax gives me: total musical insight. Maybe using a Rega Ears will be better with the HD600.

There are dynamic headphones that can be almost as good or better, depending what you listen to. One of the top BeyerDynamic models with Xcans V3 sounded very good to me as well, better than the HD600.

Just listen around for some options!

Garmt, Dec 20, 2005
  3. themystical

Neil

I'd recommend - not just because I have and am considering a change - some Ergo AMT phones. The listening experience is sublime. I moved through a variety of headphones - Senheisser to Jeklin to Stax and finally to the Ergo 'phones. They run from the speaker taps or using an amp such as the Macormack microdrive.

Neil, Dec 20, 2005
  4. themystical

Tenson Moderator

I would recommend the AKG K1000's. Best I have ever heard. Coupled to a £1k valve amp, they sounded rather good! I know they don't look all that, but they really are worth a listen if you are serious about headphones.

Tenson, Dec 21, 2005
  5. themystical

Dick Bowman

Stax is the way to go. HD600 is very thick and muddy by comparison. The problem with Stax is that their headset construction (except for the Lambda) looks like something Fisher-Price would be ashamed of.

Dick Bowman, Dec 21, 2005
  6. themystical

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

On the other hand, some people find Stax - despite the excellent out-of head oundstage experience - to be tonally thin, scrawny, bleached-out and the bass has gone missing. Try before you buy.

alanbeeb, Dec 21, 2005
  7. themystical

themystical

Which Stax Model?

Thanks for the responses guys! Okay there seems to be quite a lot of support for Stax here! I do remember the "wow" factor when I first listened to the X-Can V2 compared to not having a headphone amp! Being an impoverished serial upgrader, buying new is not an option so I am reliant on ebay or the like. Which model of Stax would give me a wow factor compared to my current set-up?

themystical, Dec 21, 2005
  8. themystical

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

Pretty much any of them. I found the SRS4040 system 2 was far far better than a Sugden HeadMaster or Naim Headline + either HD650, Grado 325 or Beyer 880. I would guess that even the entry combo, which is a total bargain at £350 http://www.cheshireaudio.com/acatalog/, would happily see off most dynamic systems. I am a total convert to the Stax way of doing things.

Regards

Jason

ReJoyce, Dec 21, 2005
  9. themystical

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

That was my experience too (I heard the whole range, albeit briefly).

A definate 'try before you buy' like you say

bottleneck, Dec 21, 2005
  10. themystical

Tenson Moderator

I found the K1000 was far clearer, quicker and more detailed than any of the Stax offerings. It is also a little bass light, but still warm with the right amp, non the less.

I think Stax are like the Ferrari of nice cars. They are pretty good, but common. If you want something with a bit of distinction, you want an Aston Martin ;)

Tenson, Dec 21, 2005
  11. themystical

Garmt

I have always wanted to hear an AKG K-1000. Must be fantastic.

Garmt, Dec 21, 2005
  12. themystical

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Me too.... would have taken the plunge and bought a pair unheard.... but after bad experiences with the Stax 4040 and then reading some reports of bass light behaviour of the AKG K-1000 I got cold feet and caution got the better of me! Nowhere up here to demo them either :(

alanbeeb, Dec 21, 2005
  13. themystical

Tenson Moderator

No, I had to import mine from Germany. However, the person I got them from says you can send them back if you don't like 'em. All you end up paying for is the postage.

I got mine from Jan Meier, of Meier Audio. http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

The RKV amp is supposed to have a synergy with the K1000’s but I haven’t heard it. I used them on the end of my Cayin A-88T amp.

Tenson, Dec 21, 2005
  14. themystical

Tenson Moderator

Hmm I don't see the K1000's on the website anymore, but it is always worth an email, hes a very nice guy.

Tenson, Dec 21, 2005
  15. themystical

Garmt

I don't think the Stax is bass light however, like many say. Just accurate and very deep and tuneful.

Garmt, Dec 21, 2005
  16. themystical

themystical

Had a quick look at the K1000's on the net! They seem ideal for a out of the head listening experience but isn't headphone listening meant to be a solitary experience? I mean these seem to rely on the sound from the left earspeaker reaching the right ear to make them function? Fascinating concept but too close for comfort to my current strategy which is just to listen to full range speakers and to hell with every body else!!

themystical, Dec 21, 2005
  17. themystical

Tenson Moderator

Well... they are still a lot quieter than speakers! I don't think your neighbour will be banging on your wall because you have the k1000's up too loud! :D

But... if you are trying to listen to them in the same room as somebody else is watching TV you won't find they block out the sound at all and you may annoy the person sitting next to you.

Tenson, Dec 21, 2005
  18. themystical

NilsTentacles

I have a pair of HD600 with a Rega Ear. I upgraded from the integrated amp, and whilst the sound got better in many ways, I found that the HD600 screws up the whole PRaT thingie. I say, keep your hp/amp ... and try a different pair of headphones.

I'm considering to swap mine for a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880.

NilsTentacles, Dec 21, 2005
  19. themystical

Garmt

If you want PRaT, definitely also try Grado.

Garmt, Dec 21, 2005
  20. themystical

Mr_Sukebe

I dem`d a pair of Stax 3030 against a pair of old Senn 540refs (not as good as HD600s, but not massively adrift) using a Creek OBH21 amp, fully expecting the Stax to walk it. I was rather surprised to find that I prefered the Senn/Creek combo. Not that I was complaining as it saved me a whole bunch of dosh. So I`d definitely dem before buying.

Mr_Sukebe, Dec 21, 2005
Ask a Question