Headphones - Which?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dreftar, Jan 6, 2007.

1. dreftar

dreftar

mY current headphones are beginning to fall apart, so I guess its time to think about possible replacements. Currently I use AKG 301 which I have found to be adequate. They are especially good on classical and accoustic music, but sadly lacking on music driven by solid bass lines. I find then reasonably comfortable, light weight and open. I have another pair of phones that I use when the TV encroaches on my musical listening pleasure. The sennheiser 212 which are not real good at anything other than keeping out the noise of the TV. Sound is muddled and bass is way over the top.

Any Recomendations please

I live on Shetland so try before I buy is no option!!

dreftar, Jan 6, 2007
  2. dreftar

doomjeffs

I own a pair of Grado SR 80's, & would thoroughly recomend.

doomjeffs, Jan 6, 2007
  3. dreftar

Tenson Moderator

The K501 and K401 are the two top 'normal' models from AKG as far as I know. The K501, like the K301 is best suited to classical and acoustic. The K401 is basically the K501 but designed for more 'popular' music with a more balanced bass response.

I own the K401 and find them more than good enough for most stuff - I think they are limited by my headphone output more than anything as they are very power hungry. So yeah, K401 is a good one to go for since you know you like the K301 already.

Tenson, Jan 6, 2007
  4. dreftar

ShinOBIWAN

Consistantly top rated ones are AKG K701, Grado SR325 Prestige and Sennheiser HD650. All are around £200-250.

I have the AKG's but only really use them late-night and online gaming. Nice sound but a little lightweight in the presentation, lots of detail though without being harsh. I did audition the Sennheisers and found them to have a darker presentation but the bass was more full than AKG's.

ShinOBIWAN, Jan 7, 2007
  5. dreftar

Tenson Moderator

My only complaint about the HD600 when I head them (not much different from 650) was that they sounded closed in compared to the AKG. AKG make very nice all rounder IMO. The K1000 are still my all time fav headphone, I will buy another pair some time lol (though not an all rounder, that one)!

Tenson, Jan 7, 2007
  6. dreftar

dunkyboy

I've had Senn 600s for years now. Love 'em. Not perfect, but very very good for the money. One thing, though, they won't suffer a crap, wimpy headphone output! They're not as demanding as you might imagine (my Samsung MP3 player drives them great, though it does have a strong output, designed with an eye to quality) but they sound terribly flat and weedy on a low-quality output.

Not heard the 650s, but they supposedly correct the 600s' one main weakness - a certain "veiling" to the sound. Basically a slight lack of top-end sparkle.

The 600s are definitely have somewhat warm and full character, so if you're from the Grado skool of light 'n tight 'n airy you might not like them so much. That said, it's not a big thing - they're pretty close to neutral really.

Dunc

dunkyboy, Jan 7, 2007
  7. dreftar

dreftar

Looks like Ill need a trip to the mainland to try out the AKGs Vs The Senn's - or even have a listen to the grado's - The only problem in this approach part from the ferry trips and attendant mal de mer is that quite often what amazes on the first listen ultimately disappoints. Initialy i wasn't real fond of my AKGs but they did grow on me as I began enjoying the lightness and spacial, detailed quality that they posess. I still enjoy lovely bass too. I wonder if you can get your cake and eat it too!!

dreftar, Jan 7, 2007
  8. dreftar

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Sounds like you want something closed, to block out the TV noise?

I would check out the Beyerdynamic DT770 or Sennheiser HD25 if your budget allows. Both have good bass and the ability to rock.

If you've got a good enough system though, and dont mind open, i too will recommend the Senn HD650. I love mine, and they dont sound laid back at all in the right system.

PBirkett, Jan 7, 2007
  9. dreftar

Rory satisfied

i have compared the AKG 701 and Sennheiser HD600s on a Meier headphone amp/DAC thing

the '701s do have a more detailed top end and the bass is a tad deep than the 600s but they are not as comfortable and i found the 600s easier to listen to as well.

Bearing in mind you can find the 600s s/h for a ton or so and the 701s at least double that its a no brainer imo :)

Rory, Jan 8, 2007
  10. dreftar

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Jan 8, 2007
  11. dreftar

Snoo

I still have the Beyers that your reccomended me quite a while back. Though I don't think they are the 770's. Lovely set of cans.

Snoo, Jan 8, 2007
  12. dreftar

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Probably the DT531?

I had to get shot of mine in the end, once i changed to a new source i began to find them a little on the bright side, but yes they were very sweet, musical headphones for the money. Still one of the most comfy i've worn too.

PBirkett, Jan 8, 2007
  13. dreftar

Snoo

That's the ones. I rarely wear headphones too be honest. But when I do they always stagger me with their performance.

So thanks again for the tip off. :)

More on topic;
    www.veronica.co.uk are a great place to buy from.

Snoo, Jan 8, 2007
  14. dreftar

tones compulsive cantater

As a regular (but not expert) headphone user and an almost exclusively classical listener, I have never liked the Sennheiser "house" sound, which, to my ears, has a curious "hole" (for want of a better word) in the middle of the frequency range, which makes them sound quite dull (I have tried both the 600s and 650s and find that both display this trait).

The Beyerdynamic house sound suits my listening preferences much better - a much better mid-range while not losing anything significant in the bass department. I find the Beyerdynamic sound to be very similar to the Grado sound - I have Grado SR80s and then went on to Beyer DT880s. The sound quality is the same, but (a) the Beyers are much more comfortable, and (b) the lead of the Beyers comes out of one earpiece, an arrangement that should be compulsory by law (nothing getting tangled under your chin).

tones, Jan 8, 2007
  15. dreftar

dunkyboy

Tones, you have the strangest ears - you can't hear the difference between CD and vinyl (apart from surface noise, pops, crackles, etc) but you can hear a "hole" in the midrange of Sennheiser headphones! :p

Dunc

dunkyboy, Jan 8, 2007
  16. dreftar

tones compulsive cantater

Aha, but could this possibly be because, apart from snaps, crackles and pops, there actually isn't any difference? Oh...:D :p

tones, Jan 8, 2007
  17. dreftar

DennyL

I have a pair of AKG K701's and a pair of AKG K501's, and I have a headphone amplifier, and I am very pleased with them, particularly the 701's (the 501's have less bass). If anyone knows of a shop where one can demo phones like this I think quite a few people would be interested to know about it. I bought my 701's online from the US and my 501's online from Germany.

You will find many opinions on headphones at www.head-fi.org.

DennyL, Jan 8, 2007
  18. dreftar

themystical

Tenson really knows what he is talking about here! The K1000's are absolutely amazing. Whatever you go for (Sen or AKG) make sure you use a headphone amp as the difference between amp and no-amp is massive. The X-CanV2 is a cheap but excellent amp which matches most headphones.

themystical, Jan 8, 2007
  19. dreftar

dunkyboy

IME the difference between a budget headphone amp (in my case, Rega Ear) and a low-quality headphone output (e.g. some soundcard outputs) is huge, but the difference between said headphone amp and a high-quality headphone output is minor (it's there, and worth the £80 I paid for my Rega, but I can happily live without it). In my case, "high quality" includes my Samsung MP3 player and, amazingly, the minijack out on my bog-standard Dell workstation at work(!)

IME, your chances of a given device having a high- or low-quality headphone output are pretty much up in the air. Just a case of suck it and see. If you've got a pair of high-end 'phones and the sound is uninspired, a headphone amp may work wonders - but definitely try before you buy!

Dunc

P.S. - Mid- or high-end headphone amps may be a different story - haven't tried so couldn't say.

dunkyboy, Jan 9, 2007
  20. dreftar

Nomoretweaks Tourist on tilt

Yes, the amp is reaaly makes a huge difference. I am using an old Audio Alchemy headphone amp v1.0 - bought it 10 years ago for sthg like £250 - if you see one used - just grab it. THis is a real little headphone gem. Creek, X-Cans do not even come close.

Nomoretweaks, Jan 9, 2007
Ask a Question