Health of the Nation

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by leonard smalls, Jul 18, 2005.

1. leonard smalls

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Did anyone see the programme on Saturday eve assessing the health of a few celebs, plus interactive questions for the couch potatotes at home?

And if so, was anyone amazed at the arbitraryness of the questions?

I mean, how does riding a motorbike reduce your effective health, but riding a pushbike increases it? Their thinking is presumably that you may crash and die on the bike, but a pushbike gives you exercise - not that you could crash on a pushbike!
    And how can living in a house with 10+ people be healthier than living alone?
    It all seemed to be based solely on statistics and not on common sense - all it seemed to do was spread further misinformation and confusion..

OK, minor rant over.

Except for, booze-wise - it didn't distinguish between types of units of alcohol; surely a glass of red wine is better than a bottle of Baracardi Breezer? And the smoking questions - it made no distinction between someone who quit smoking after having 3 cigs a day for 6 months and someone who'd had 40 a day for 20 years!
    Utter balderdash, methinks.

leonard smalls, Jul 18, 2005
  2. leonard smalls

rsand I can't feel my toes

Riding a pushbike is healthier than a motorbike because you have to pedal it!! Unless you run out og petrol and have to push it (faulty fuel light on my Ducatti) then the motorbike probably raises your metabalism more.

I assume there was no qualification of why living with 10 people was better than being alone? I get more exercise and eat better since living alone (not that I have ever lived with 10 people at once.

With alcohol, agreed wine is better for you than suggar filled alco pops but they are talking units and to start seperating it out into beer/lager/wine/alco pop would stretch it out too much. Alcohol (one of my weaknesses) creates toxins in your blood which are related to formeldehyde (used in enbalming) regardless of which drink you get the unit from.

Wish I had seen it, might of bee interesting

rsand, Jul 18, 2005
  3. leonard smalls

The questions were completely arbitrary, in a nanny-state kind of way...
    Frinstance, it was unhealthy to live alone - if there were 2 of you it was neutral, 4 or 5 was unhealthy and 10+ was very healthy.. WTF??? You may be happy alone, and deeply unhappy crowded in with 9 messy party animals!
    Alcohol-wise they said 2+ units a day was unhealthy... So 14 units a week is now bad for you? I thought the last advice was 21 per week was OK for a man? And how can 2 units be equally as bad as 20 units? And red wine contains all sorts of cholesterol-reducing tannins, therefore it's actually good for you - so long as you're not drinking 2 bottles a night!
    I'm sure the Beeb could have made the programme in a less lowest-common-denominator kind of way, but perceived populism (or treating the audience as if they're stupid) seems to be the norm.
    Even Horizon's sh*te these days moan moan etc..

4. leonard smalls

I couldn't live with more than one other person (don't want kidz), I found the gf here a pain in the butt so asked her to leave although the right person (if they exist) would be a positive I guess.

rsand, Jul 18, 2005
  5. leonard smalls

Cloth-Ears

Cloth-Ears is a fat bastard.

Cloth-Ears, Jul 18, 2005
  6. leonard smalls

T-bone Sanchez

10! WTF! I'll take my chances and carry on living on my own, thats the way I like it and if a drop dead as a result Im not sure I'll miss much!

T-bone Sanchez, Jul 18, 2005
  7. leonard smalls

What kind of property would you need for 10? (tongue firmly in cheek and flamesuit on) Unless we are talking single mum again, in which case does a diet of oven chips, tesco value beans and take away pizza make you healthier than a single guy eating organic produce?

rsand, Jul 18, 2005
  8. leonard smalls

Perhaps it's simply because with 10 people in the house there be more folks to raise the alarm should there be a fire?

9. leonard smalls

Joe

Nah; it's cos with that many people competing for food there'd be no chance to get fat!

Joe, Jul 18, 2005
Ask a Question