Hearing is Believing

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mescalito, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Mescalito

Basil

Same old tired dogma.

I've probably asked this before but double blind tests seen to work in the medical field?

Basil, Oct 22, 2010
  2. Mescalito

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

No, in most cases they have simply reinforced what I initially suspected. Almost all the things I've tested have been accessories / tweaks, e.g. cables, tubes etc. I found it very easy to tell say NAC A5 from say Kimber 8TC, and similarly easy to tell certain different tubes and interconnects apart. I'm sure the things I could reliably tell apart measure differently, so there is no surprise here at all. The things I'd most like to blind test I've not had the opportunity to, e.g. good examples of different amp types e.g. SS, tube, SET etc and also different speakers, e.g. ESL, mini monitors, big three ways, high efficiency horns etc. I'd really love to do that one.

Tony.

PS I'm probably pretty unique on these forums in that the systems I run actually have little if anything to do with what I feel is 'best', I'm just going through a phase of playing about with some classic vintage kit, though I make no outlandish claims for it. I'm just enjoying myself and I hope no one reads anything ideological into any of this. Truth be told I'd be just as happy with say a new NAS, Sugden, Harbeth system or whatever. I'm developing a bit of an itch to try some Quad ESLs next...

TonyL, Oct 22, 2010
  3. Mescalito

Richard Dunn

Since when is medical practice working on an art form.

Richard Dunn, Oct 22, 2010
  4. Mescalito

Richard Dunn

That explains a lot :rolleyes: :D

5. Mescalito

Richard Dunn

Your house is big enough, why not organise a bake-off.

6. Mescalito

Dave Simpson Plywood King

I've had a few experiences mentioned earlier where the results of blind tests were misleading. In both cases that I remember it was setup issue that when corrected, revealed the differences. That's the danger I see for a beginner relying on this form of evaluation however.

Dave Simpson, Oct 22, 2010
  7. Mescalito

Basil

Basil, Oct 22, 2010
  8. Mescalito

Pete The Cat

I've been really curious that the most important component (more than source v speakers, room acoustics, mains conditioning...) doesn't seem to feature in any forum.

I suffered hearing damage after a gig a couple of months back. Incredibly my hearing is almost as good as it was but I've got threshold shift (over sensitivity to normal day to day sound) which may be temporary or permanent, and tinnitus like an angle grinder. Apart from wishing I'd taken as much care of my ears as my vinyl, as I've been going through various tests and learning about NIHL it's become more obvious to me than ever that we're all hearing differently anyway. For example - hands up everyone who struggles to pick out dialogue from the ambient noise in modern films. Quite a lot of over 40s I reckon.

The starting point (hearing) for each of us being if not unique then individual, on that basis hi-fi objectivism seems of limited relevance in proving anything. More than ever I now feel that if it sounds good it is good.

There's something about the 405's presentation that I find refreshing once in a while, but my Exposures soothe me, make me smile and move me to want to dance (albeit in an inept blokey way).

Pete

Pete The Cat, Oct 22, 2010
Ask a Question