Hearing Marco's system again.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Steven Toy, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Steven Toy

penance Arrogant Cock

No probs WM, of course youll buy just on my say.
    Dado rails and magnolia woodchip OK?

penance, Nov 21, 2003
  2. Steven Toy

The Devil IHTFP

Marco, I do know what I'm talking about. There's someone here (lowrider) who can calculate your resonant frequency (ies) if you supply the room dimensions and want to know what they are. Unless your council estate is exempt from the laws of physics, you will have a boom in such a tiny space with full-range speakers.

In any case, I don't need to hypothesise about it - I've heard it.

This afternoon is one of my paperwork sessions, and I've finished the paperwork, thanks.

The Devil, Nov 21, 2003
  3. Steven Toy

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

The classics, why change a thing :D how about a 6 foot potted plant, and full surround fireplace, gimmie gimmie :D

wadia-miester, Nov 21, 2003
  4. Steven Toy

penance Arrogant Cock

Wall ducks al la Hilda aswell:D

penance, Nov 21, 2003
  5. Steven Toy

Marco

Yep, way to go... Btw, have you done your list for Santa yet? :)

I think I'll add a big, 'proper-sized', room onto my list of wants this year... it seems that's what all the big boys have :D

Marco.

Marco, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Steven Toy

michaelab desafinado

FYI "madbadmutha" has been banned and all his posts (and ones commenting on them) have been deleted.

He clearly wanted to do nothing more than be offensive and cause trouble :inferno:

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 25, 2003
  7. Steven Toy

Markus S Trade

Curses. It sems like I missed some fun ...

Markus S, Nov 25, 2003
  8. Steven Toy

The Devil IHTFP

I still think it would be very interesting to know why Steven Toy doesn't want to emulate Marco's system. Steven has a CDX, whereas Marco is running the CDS2 with an XPS2, and top-of-the-(olive)-range Naim pre and power amps all on separate electric circuits. In theory, Marco's gear should walk all over Steven's...

So what gives?

The Devil, Nov 25, 2003
  9. Steven Toy

merlin

Actually James that is a tad misleading. I can calculate all room modes quite easily if Marco gives me the room's dimensions. Pretty much all living rooms will suffer from some resonance somewhere in the bass (unless of course Scottish living rooms have forty foot ceilings!), this does not neccessarily have to be a major problem. If the modes are evenly distributed, all you will see is room gain, and bearing in mind that the majority of albums are mastered to allow for room gain at 6db per octave, this really isn't too bad a problem.

The real issues lie with double and triple axial modes, easily determined by whether any one dimension of the room is divisable by any other.

merlin, Nov 25, 2003
  10. Steven Toy

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Merlin,

The ceiling in Marco's room is about 7'. Calculate away!

The Devil, Nov 25, 2003
  11. Steven Toy

michaelab desafinado

James - you need a little more than just ceiling height to do the calculation! Anyway, must you continue to stir by asking why Steve doesn't want to emulate Marco's sytem??

There are any number of reasons why it could be - not least different musical priorities. If, as I suspect, all you want is for Steven to say something negative about Marco's system isn't that a little childish?

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 25, 2003
  12. Steven Toy

Alex S User

I suspect its the superior performance of the Densen amps, although I'm still gobsmacked that Steven bought a CDX without listening to the Densen 400XS (which is better than a CDS2). Maybe also he doesn't have those terrible room boom problems that Marco has. Maybe things just sound crap in Wales (although things improve if you go offshore). Anyway, whatever it is, I've got the biggest out of all of you.

Alex

Alex S, Nov 25, 2003
  13. Steven Toy

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

So, your King dong then eh?, explains the hifi you got from the proceeds of those early 'entertaiment movies' you 'starred in', sly bugger :D

wadia-miester, Nov 25, 2003
  14. Steven Toy

Steven Toy

I do regard the Densen amps to be superior in many areas but not in all.

Marco's system grooves better than any other I've heard. In order to achieve tis grooviness sacrifices have to be made in other areas - sacrifices that I'm not prepared to make.

Absolutism isn't needed - it's not about better or worse just different priorities.

Steven Toy, Nov 25, 2003
  15. Steven Toy

Marco

Absolutely, Steve, and the sooner some people realise that fact, the better!

Although, like I said earlier, it's a wonder how you could hear the groovy-ness for the 'room boom' :D

Boom, boom shake da room... ;)

Best,
    Marco.

Marco, Nov 25, 2003
  16. Steven Toy

merlin

You have no idea how happy that makes me. Anyone unfortunate enough to live on an estate in Wrexham, deserves a break somewhere along the line.

merlin, Nov 25, 2003
  17. Steven Toy

Marco

Oi, watch it! :p

Merlin, o super duper one, aside from the obvious factual inaccuracies [I don't actually live on an estate], what's so great about where you live? ;)

Marco.

Marco, Nov 25, 2003
  18. Steven Toy

The Devil IHTFP

The other dimensions are elsewhere in this thread - approx 7' x 11' if memory serves.

Steven's already described it as shut-in, tune-challenged, etc. I am running similar gear to Marco and I am being encouraged down a separate spur for each thing / hard-wired hydra route. I'm just a little sceptical about the benefits of this approach, and I am asking for further information. I do find it mildly astonishing that Steven's CDX sounds better than Marco's CDS2, and I don't want to end up in the same boat.

ISTM that this electrical approach of Marco's might be worse than just having one single spur - the late Julian Vereker thought so, and the evidence from this thread suggests he was right.

The Devil, Nov 25, 2003
  19. Steven Toy

mick parry stroppy old git

Bub

The electricity is the same today as when Julian Vereker was alive and the NAC 52 is still the same. So nothing has changed.

JV was usually spot on when it came to Hifi and yes he did say that a single dedicated line was better than multiple spurs.

I had a single spur installed a couple of years ago and it was well worth it.

I must admit, I would be inclined to follow JV's advice. He knew his stuff more than anyone else.

As regards to room size, my lounge is 21ft x 14ft and the dining room is partly partitioned off from the kitchen and is 13 ft x 11ft and the sound in the small room is muffled in comparison to the larger room. It still sounds good but big rooms let the speakers breathe a lot more.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Nov 25, 2003
  20. Steven Toy

Alex S User

I think I got some improvement with each spur I added although by far the most when adding the first. I am now tempted to go back to 2 spurs: 1 for poweramp, one for the rest. This would also make any mains conditioning at the spur end rather than inline a lot cheaper.

I have heard the multiple spur approach bring huge benefits to a Naim/DV system.

Alex

BTW My mains/earth quality is being measured today - could be interesting (to me that is).

Alex S, Nov 26, 2003
Ask a Question