Hearing Marco's system again.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Steven Toy, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Steven Toy

Marco

Michael, my guess is that your first question (above) was intended to be rhetorical, because, judging by the evidence of almost every one of Satan's recent posts (especially his last one), the answer is of course obvious :rolleyes:

The malevolent one (so aptly named) is currently on a mission to cause a rift between Steve and I - this would suit his purpose perfectly. However, the fact is, he's got even less chance of being successful in this regard than he has of acting like a responsible adult.

If I may answer your second question, 'childish' is what James always does best, along with holding grudges forever and ever (and ever)... :rolleyes:

Why should he change now?

Oh, btw, that question is rhetorical ;)

Regards,
    Marco.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2003
    Marco, Nov 26, 2003
  2. Steven Toy

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

And guess what, on our return from Germany in the new year, my new listening room is about 27ft x 13.5ft.

So Mike, have you found that much can be achieved by speaker and listener positioning or do you think I'm in for Helmholtz Resonator room traps and parametric or, horror of horrors, digital equalization?

7_V, Nov 26, 2003
  3. Steven Toy

The Devil IHTFP

Well, I'm always looking out for ways to improve my system ;) . I remain unconvinced by the multiple spurs approach, but I had an interesting dem last night of the new 'burndy' cable from the CDS3. Darren from Loud & Clear brought one over to try out. His conclusion was "whoever wrote that this was a big improvement [Mr "10%" Martin Colloms] was having a laugh". I failed to disagree with him.

I thought this was commendably honest of him seeing as he could easily have tried to flog me one.

I think you need 'golden ears' :) to appreciate this sort of improvement in a hi-fi system. Those, and an unhealthy predisposition to self-deception once the cash has been parted. ;)

Stallion, I think that you & Steve make a great double-act: it would be churlish of me to attempt to split you up. Steve has already written a testimonial about your system and implied fairly strongly that it isn't really his cup of tea. I'm just mildly curious why, but I doubt if I'll ever find out...

The Devil, Nov 26, 2003
  4. Steven Toy

michaelab desafinado

Marco - your response is just as bad I'm afraid :rolleyes: It seems like you are the one holding a grudge here.

Also - questioning James' professionalism in his job in a public forum is not on. Kindly edit out those comments please :mad:

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 26, 2003
  5. Steven Toy

Marco

Michael, consider it done :)

Regards,
    Marco.

Marco, Nov 26, 2003
  6. Steven Toy

The Devil IHTFP

Move the rig into the loo, you'll soon get the idea.

The Devil, Nov 26, 2003
  7. Steven Toy

merlin

Nah you're screwed mate!!

Double axial at 32hz with a second harmonic at 64, suggest getting reaquainted with some Roots!

Of course a digital EQ designed to give high Q correction at those two frequencies would work wonders, but then many would say they don't want to add anything to the sound.

Well how about adding two frickin' great bass humps, they don't seem to mind that:rolleyes:

merlin, Nov 26, 2003
  8. Steven Toy

Personally, I've got nothing against adding a bit of EQ to the mix - as long as I'm only fricking around with my Awesomes. Nonsuch nonsense on the full-rangers.

Mind you I've been playing around with the room response program and I should be able to achieve +/- 5dB with judicious placement of bass units and listening position.

7_V, Nov 26, 2003
  9. Steven Toy

Marco

Hi foxy, nice of you to join us.

I don't know where you got the 'turret room' thing from, are you sure you're not thinking of someone else? ;)

Bet your system sounds really good after your recent mods.

I have to chuckle at Satan's continual waffling about my room and my system. I suppose if it keeps him happy, why spoil the boy's fun? :D

His twisting of Steve's words makes not one iota of difference. My system excels in the areas most important to me (as correctly observed by Steve) - and that's all that matters :p

Btw, Phase 9 Mana under a CDS2 is rather special. I will soon have all my gear at Phase 9 (speakers are at Phase 4) via a 6-tier amp rack and eight Soundstages. That should be really nice :)

But I suppose that's a mere hors d'oeuvre to you...

Regards,
    Marco.

Marco, Nov 26, 2003
  10. Steven Toy

The Devil IHTFP

Marco, Marco, I'm sure it all sounds just fine. Don't let Steven's 'shut-in' remark get to you, just ignore him - what does he know anyway?

The Devil, Nov 26, 2003
  11. Steven Toy

Steven Toy

I know bugger-all. The shut-in issue does improve a bit when the speakers warm up. It takes abou half an hour of music playing before that happens though.

So, if you run Spendor SP100s, when you return home from a hard day's graft, put a CD on in listening room, leave it playing to itself for half an hour or so, go into the kitchen, make some tea and read the paper before starting your listening sesh.

Steven Toy, Nov 26, 2003
  12. Steven Toy

technobear Ursine Audiophile

That's good advice for most systems :cool:

technobear, Nov 26, 2003
  13. Steven Toy

Paul Ranson

Noise. Noise! Annoys....

Paul

Paul Ranson, Nov 26, 2003
  14. Steven Toy

The Devil IHTFP

More noise

Quiz of the week, what's this all about then?
    A prize to the first identifier of the topic about which this pretentious nonsense, oops sorry, deep insight was written. Get over yourselves, o golden-eared ones!

The Devil, Nov 27, 2003
  15. Steven Toy

Re: More noise

Is it referring to the brain of an audiophile?

7_V, Nov 27, 2003
  16. Steven Toy

julian2002 Muper Soderator

james,

fraim glass.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 27, 2003
  17. Steven Toy

The Devil IHTFP

Good thinking, and close.....but it's the LP12 felt mat, believe it or not! Having owned an LP12 or similar since 1985, I have to say that I must have lead ears.

The author, who I suspect would probably prefer to remain anonymous, is careful not to commit himself as to which way up is the 'musical' one. Someone asked him directly which was the 'correct' way....."use your ears..." was the helpful response

It's the good old 'hi-fi versus music' bollocks yet again, which is the Hallmark of a diehard Naimie. Note the use of the all-important 'groove' word...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2003
    The Devil, Nov 27, 2003
  18. Steven Toy

Marco

Good advice, Steve, but I don't think it applies only to SP100s. Every speaker I've heard doesn't sound its best from cold, especially the bigger ones with large drive units. This is certainly the case any time I listen to DBLs, B&W 801s, JM Lab Mezzo Utopia, and the like. It was also something I noticed with James' ATCs, which to my ears, sounded a bit unruly until they got a good thrashing.

However, nothing is written in stone - it's all personal opinion. The good thing about you and I is that we can be critical of each other's systems without falling out :MILD:

We both have different priorities with regard to what we want from our systems, not to mention quite different tastes in music!! Your system certainly fulfils your priorities, as does mine, and that's what it's all about.

Incidentally, the fact my system grooves like a bastard is largely due to the mains set-up. When you run Naim gear un-fused with separate spurs for each piece of equipment, it simply allows more of its inherent character to shine through: that's why the pace, rhythm and timing are so spot on - more so than any other Naim system you've heard. Furthermore, it is also why it sounds so bloody loud! Removing all the 'bottle necks' and the 'restrictive effect' caused by plug and case fuses, especially in the power amps, really does have a dramatic effect on the system's loudness capability. That's why when I cranked it up to just under 12 o' clock on the 52 with Emiliana Torrini, there was no sign of any strain whatsoever - something in my experience that just doesn't happen when stock case fuses are in place. The sound is much more 'weedy', dynamics are restricted, and strain kicks in much earlier.

When you get your new place with Tasha, you really should look at installing the kind of mains set-up I have. Sound per pound, it's the biggest upgrade I've ever had.

Marco.

Marco, Nov 27, 2003
  19. Steven Toy

The Devil IHTFP

One thing about my set-up, Marco, which almost all visitors have commented on is that it doesn't sound 'like a Naim system'. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, mind you....good I think! The other thing is that it never really sounds 'very loud' even with very high SPLs on the meter. This is why I bought the meter in the first place - to protect my hearing.

The big black muthas have already caused permanent hearing loss in a friend of mine, and I don't want them to do the same to me. They are quite dangerous.

The Devil, Nov 27, 2003
  20. Steven Toy

Marco

Absolutely. But, of course, everyone's way of having 'fun' is different... ;)

Hehe, love it! :D

Listen, for me it's a simple equation: the better my hi-fi sounds, the more I enjoy my music. It is really that simple :)

No probs. You were partly correct. The room is 'strange shaped', in the sense that there are unusual slopes and angles with oak beams. The walls are also very thick. It is most certainly not the conventional rectangular shape of rooms in a modern house, nor would you expect it to be, as the lodge was built in 1887. Yes, the room is quite small, but I like the effect it creates with my system (room boom - pah! :D ), it lends a 'visceral', 'physical' quality to the sound that I enjoy very much and that I didn't get in the much bigger room in my old house I sold in Glasgow.

My old house was a large, detatched, Victorian property and the room the hi-fi was in was massive. You know the usual high ceilings with cornices, etc, but although there were certain aspects of the sound I liked better, the system lacked the drive and impact I get now where you can 'feel' crescendos in the music as well as hear them. Yes, there will have been many reasons for that, but I know the effect a room has on a system. Speaker/room interaction is such an important issue, and in my opinion, getting the speakers to 'drive' the room properly is absolutely essential to create the accurate and enjoyable listening experience you get when listening to a live performance.

I do miss some aspects of the sound I had in my old house, and it's nice to be able to relax in different areas of the room when listening to music and enjoy the space. But I'm really happy with the results I've achieved in my current 'little rabbit hutch' ;) And since it's been revamped and redecorated, it's a nice place to chill and relax to some tunes with a bottle of claret or two... :cool:

Marco.

Marco, Nov 27, 2003
Ask a Question