Hearing Marco's system again.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Steven Toy, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Steven Toy

The Devil IHTFP

That chest thump is rather fast actually. Don't the round earth geeks call it "slam" or something like that?

No they don't. They call it room-boom Steven. Actually you can call it what you like and you can even ignore it if you want to.

I had a similar effect years ago when I was using Rogers LS7s with a NAP 140 when I lived in hospital accommodation. It's rather fun for rock music but screws-up acoustic music, most classical and jazz.

The Devil, Nov 28, 2003
  2. Steven Toy

Marco

Ian, that sounds pretty reasonable to me, and could indeed be what's going on. However, I would stress that, to my ears (and everyone else's who's heard my system properly set up since the fire) there is no excessive bass overhang whatsoever. If you were to come and listen for yourself, I feel confident you'd agree.

I must say all this attention/speculation as to what's happening with my system/room is most heart-warming :)

As I'm sure you'll agree, there is no such thing as the perfect environment for a hi-fi, there will always be compromises, and the results achieved reflect this. All I can tell you is that I much prefer the sound I'm getting in my current room than the sound I had in the much larger room in my old house - and it's not just because I now have a much better system. The effect of using a different room is to me easily discernable compared to that of using better equipment.

As an aside, Ian, have you been to JW's new place yet and heard his system? I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts. In my opinion (and his), the sound he's getting now is much superior to what he had in his old place. John and I agree the smaller room is a significant contributory factor in the overall improved sound. We also agree another key factor is that his Briks 'drive' the room better than they did before. I was shocked and stunned when I first heard it... there was an authority to the presentation with all kinds of music, particularly in the bass, that simply wasn't there in his old place. Ian, John T and I just sat there grinning from ear to ear and said: "fuckin' hell, that's good!" :MILD:

I can't wait to hear it again later next month when I go and collect some more Stages, because he tells me it's even better now since he's improved areas of his mains set-up. The thought of that is frightening! :eek:

Anyway, I'm just pointing out that with regard to rooms, bigger isn't necessarily better: it's more a question of balance. Getting it right is the tricky bit, but when you succeed (as I have), the results can be outstanding.

Regards,
    Marco.

Marco, Nov 28, 2003
  3. Steven Toy

Ian Wright

Hi Steven,

"But there's no boom in the bass; i.e: bass output may indeed be the issue given his room, and not excess bass duration /overhang."

I haven't heard Marco's system but the room modes are very important and affect the sound dramatically. The result will be the addition of energy and reduction of energy in the lower frequencies. This distorts the sound. Whatever term you want to use for it is irrelevant, but what does matter is you saying it is not there when it is. Otherwise all that matters is whether you like it or not!

"That chest thump is rather fast actually. Don't the round earth geeks call it "slam" or something like that?"

And how fast is the speed of sound? It doesn't necessaryily take long for a resonant mode to build up or decay (but it can do). There are a lot of factors that affect the rates and magnitudes but they are there.

I had a long discussion / argument with John Toon re all of this. He has now changed the room his Hi-Fi is in and very graciously (it was quite a lengthy argument) admitted I was right.

As always I am trying to get people to think about what they are saying. In this case I have aimed it at you as I have heard it before and it is being repeated by you here.

Marco,

I only joined in becuase of John Toon's comments on the Mana and Naim forums. Not becuase it is your room that in part we are discussing. It relates to anybodies room to a greater or lesser or lesser extent.

I will be visiting John Watson shortly so will let you know what I think afterwards.

Ian

Ian Wright, Nov 28, 2003
  4. Steven Toy

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

You guys are much more entertaining when you are arguing and getting upset etc.

Sooooo ....

Mana is great

The LP12 is great

Spendors are great

Big rooms in Scotland are great

Small rooms in Wales are great

Taxi drivers are great

ATC's are great

I'm not ;->

Cheers

Jason

Edited so as not to offend Markus who was offended that I might have offended those who don't appear to have been offended by the original offensive post.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2003
    ReJoyce, Nov 28, 2003
  5. Steven Toy

Markus S Trade

Hutter is crap.

Well Tempered is crap.

Dynavector is crap.

Shahinian is crap.

Jason, I think you should edit out your personal comment (carefully worded so as not to perpetuate the insult after it may have been removed). Comments about things are fine, comments about people less so, IMHO.

Markus S, Nov 28, 2003
  6. Steven Toy

Markus,

Which particular personnal comment? They are all personnal comments since we all know Marco lives in Wales and has a small one, Bub lives in Scotland and has a big one and Steven drives a Taxi while secretly sitting on Mana.

Has everyone else lost there sense of perspective as well?

Perhaps a smiley saves the post? I'll add one and see.

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Nov 28, 2003
  7. Steven Toy

Markus,

on second thoughts you are quite right. I was very rude and I will delete my failed attempts at humour abnd getting a rise out of anybody other than you.

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Nov 28, 2003
  8. Steven Toy

Markus as I construe the above comments as a personal insult i think you should edit your post.

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Nov 28, 2003
  9. Steven Toy

julian2002 Muper Soderator

jason,
    your puny attempt at sh*t stirring is laughable these are the only issues garuanteed to provoke madness.

transistors whoop valves asses.
    cd's are the high point of recording technology. those silly plastic circles are poo.
    air and space do not exist, PR&T is everything.

you will be able to bend any discussion towards all out forum war by making a tenuous connection between the origional topic and one of these.

there is of course the old 'amazing new discovery' ploy as well, this was overused in the past but it may be time for a resurgence.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 28, 2003
  10. Steven Toy

I have now realised that <<<retires sheepishly, looking at feet>>>

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Nov 28, 2003
  11. Steven Toy

Marco

Personally, I'm far more interested in muff flaps ;)

There's a rather quaint Glesga expression that runs:

"I'll buff yer muff if ye get rid of the fluff and the Dan Ruff" :D

Bet you ever so polite English folks can't compete with such unique turns of phrase :p

Ciao.

El Marcoz ze beast.

Marco, Nov 28, 2003
  12. Steven Toy

Markus S Trade

Aww. poor little ReJoycikins, there's nobody wants to play with you?

It's probably your toys. Try again with some others.

Markus S, Nov 28, 2003
  13. Steven Toy

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

wadia-miester, Nov 28, 2003
  14. Steven Toy

Marco

Tone, I fail to see what is the use of dragging that up :rolleyes:

Marco.

(Who's struggling once again to appreciate your unique sense of humour)

Marco, Nov 28, 2003
  15. Steven Toy

Steven Toy

Well, you see Marco, it's all got very polite and civilised round here on this thread of late.

Some folks, despite all protesting to the contrary actually enjoy the flames so Hi-fi Plush reviewer and Tone thought they'd bring back some of he old times :D

Steven Toy, Nov 28, 2003
  16. Steven Toy

I think you are right, I have the wrong brands and I feel left out.

What can I do to remedy the situation? Perhaps get a Wadia and out board DAC with elephant prick mains leads into a Les modified Nait 2 driving Briks on Mana.

Should cover all three of the forum bases and gaurantee acceptance.

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Nov 28, 2003
  17. Steven Toy

Failed though, just shows you can't force things, they have to happen naturally.

Am I the only one who enjoys watching the sparks fly? These fora get a bit anodyne if everyone is best buddies all the time.

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Nov 28, 2003
  18. Steven Toy

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Not with me it won't.

7_V, Nov 28, 2003
  19. Steven Toy

julian2002 Muper Soderator

marco,
    i think the classic and evergreen '**** off wanker' will suffice in this situation. ;) i must say that the muff buff stuff was slightly more lyrical though.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 28, 2003
  20. Steven Toy

Steven Toy

Somebody just admitted to being a shit-stirring w*****

Probably not. There are other like you. Most wouldn't admit it though because it's stoopid.

Steven Toy, Nov 28, 2003
Ask a Question