heathrow hi-fi show.?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nando, Jul 18, 2006.

1. nando

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

The one wearing the orange jacket.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Sep 17, 2006
  2. nando

Tenson Moderator

SCIDB I like the way nearly everyone in that photo has a thoughtful hand to the chin! See ya there.

Nick, you should come along if only to hear Thorstens system and have a drink with Rob and myself.

Tenson, Sep 17, 2006
  3. nando

Elberoth

Yeah I know. I always go with a my dealer's business card, LOL. Besides, I'm not from the UK, which helps.

Elberoth, Sep 17, 2006
  4. nando

Baudrillard

Cool. Look forward to meeting up at some point.

Baudrillard, Sep 17, 2006
  5. nando

RobHolt Moderator

Yes Nicholas, miserable git - get your arse in gear and come join us :)

As for that pic, you can tell it involved Naim kit because the guy sitting at the front has very blurry legs, such was the ferocity of the foot tapping :D

<duck>

RobHolt, Sep 17, 2006
  6. nando

Stereo Mic

Bold statement indeed Tony. I take it you have a completely new range of cables and that you won't be using any of the kit from the previous shows?

Stereo Mic, Sep 18, 2006
  7. nando

zanash

the proof will be in the pudding ......well listening room anyway !

I'm certain people make a point of saying how they think it sounds now !.......

I'm definately going to fill in resolution's questionaire this time ....as most people walk straight out and did not bother ...also its your chance to tell the company what you think of there online antics ...........see
    https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=13062

zanash, Sep 18, 2006
  8. nando

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Mic,
    come and say hello and see for yourself

wadia-miester, Sep 18, 2006
  9. nando

titian

What makes me worry a bit is that my system seems to become a certain point of reference for reproducing classical music ("Imagine having the scale and classical reproductive qualites of Titains ..").
    Now thinking that my speakers were made alone by a 75 years old guy, my amplifiers are over 15 years old and were from time to time upgraded by this person (today 78), my preamplifier is an old version of a not really top known company for sound quality modified from this old person, my cables were quoted by wadia-miester in this forum as "just Hifi" and my Racks were also quoted in this forum by the same person as "killing sound", then I must believe that anything should be sounding better than this bunch of stuff I've got here.
    Especially when we are talking about companies which today have a lot of money to invest in researches, development and knowledgeable people.

titian, Sep 18, 2006
  10. nando

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Titian, when you add up what you've spent on hifi you can hardly expect it to be a reference against which Rotel and Arcam are judged...

bottleneck, Sep 18, 2006
  11. nando

Dev Moderator

I'm still with Mike on this. It is a bold claim indeed and largely academic since it's not really possible to compare Titian's system or indeed to any other.

That doesn't mean I'm criticising your system, just the claim. We all know one man's ideal system is another man's yawn:).

I fear we are putting Titian is a rather embarrassing position. His system is undoubtedly the very best that I've heard but all this reference to it by people who haven't even heard it is plain laughable IMO.

Dev, Sep 18, 2006
  12. nando

Tenson Moderator

We shall see when we get there, simple as that. I'm sure it will be better than a lot of the rooms there even if it does not live up to the claim.

Are you open to playing our own CDs? :D

Tenson, Sep 18, 2006
  13. nando

Dev Moderator

Of course he is. How else can you compare? If not we'll gang up on him:D.

Dev, Sep 18, 2006
  14. nando

titian

It depends on what you are talking about: sound? or best price - sound quality performance?
    A fact is that in all forums the general idea is that more expensive is not necessarily better. Most people infact write that the expensive things are crab. But as soon as they hear something great which is expensive, they will think: "oh well, it's no reference because it's so expensive, it must be good".

Not at all, in these years I became much more convinced in what I had done and I can frankly talk about it in public with anybody. I also enjoy understanding other points of views.

titian, Sep 18, 2006
  15. nando

Tenson Moderator

Excellent, time for some death metal! :JPS:

Tenson, Sep 18, 2006
  16. nando

No-one is putting anyone one on the spot Dev:)
    We just asking you to pop in for listen, not stop black hole movements 56 million light years away
    Remember they are quite a few systems here the UK which are some what in excess of reality too, built from scratch room etc.
    I'm, sure Stereo mic will be along to give his most accquired opinion :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2006
  17. nando

Stereo Mic

Sorry to say Tony, Ill be giving the whole shambles a miss this year (although I do have a couple of meetings planned across the road on Friday) - there's nothing at all that's likely to interest me and the whole two half show scenario smacks of an industry in decline.

Good luck though - you've set your bar quite high I feel. No doubt those who enjoy your "sound" will be in raptures, those who don't, dismay. I hope it works out for you.

Stereo Mic, Sep 18, 2006
  18. nando

Mic,

Such cynicism sir. Which unfortunately is abound in the industry at present. No wonder all the usual suspects are so 'Jaded' & tarnished. I feel the time has come to kick this apathy & decisiveness into touch. A lot of the dealers have only themselves to blame and seriously need to get there acts together and treat customers like 'customers' with some manners, understanding, courtesy and honest advice.
    Yes the bar is high if you wish to run with the crowd that’s fine, but what do you offer that is different from the others?
    The Magazines are half as bad imo, time for some new fresh, honest, down to earth grass roots blood imo.
    Make no mistake mic, we will not float everyone’s boat, NO not by a country mile but will we cause them to think and hear what is really possible.
    As you been out of the loop for a good while 'our sound' is causing a bit of stir, even with our awful cables
    If you make the effort to pop over and stick your head in the door, there's an old friend of yours who'll be with us over the weekend, he'd love to say hello and catch up.
    Maybe we can all do a spot of liquid lunching

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2006
  19. nando

anon_bb Honey Badger

I guess many - like S&M - grow to be cynical after years of dissatisfaction after chasing every new thing and going around in circles throwing away cash changing their equipment every 5 minutes. In the short term the industry extracts the maximum possible cash but in the long term the industry is cutting its own throat. Given the complete idiots that walk into shops and the pragmatism of the owners trying to make a living it is alas human nature that this should happen. The mags encourage it.

Bring on the revolution!

I will be there WM - listening with a critical ear!

anon_bb, Sep 18, 2006
  20. nando

ListeningEar

I am going to try and make it down, thought I might not be able to get there this year but we shall see. I have just printed a Coherant priviledge ticket so having that sit on my desk should keep it fresh in my mind ;)

ListeningEar, Sep 18, 2006
Ask a Question