Heed ORBIT off-board turntable power supply/ NAS.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Baudrillard, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

This reasonably priced device was mentioned in a thread a while ago, which I cannot locate. Have any Nottingham Analogue owners tried it out and, if so, is it a worthy upgrade?

Baudrillard, Apr 5, 2005
  2. Baudrillard

jonjin

What's the difference to the Wave Mechanic PS?

JJ

jonjin, Apr 5, 2005
  3. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

My understanding is that the Wave Mechanic is better but also double the price and perhaps a slight 'overkill' on a Spacedeck. The WM is probably better suited to the pricier decks.

Baudrillard, Apr 5, 2005
  4. Baudrillard

Anex Thermionic

No info on the Heed sorry but a friend of mine recently bought the project one for a spacedeck which he is very happy with. Easier to find those I think.

Anex, Apr 5, 2005
  5. Baudrillard

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

There was some discussion on this a while back. Here, at PFM and also over on the Asylum. I understand that Walrus stock the Heed PSU.

I'm tempted (but currently skint and have other priorities), but mainly so Auntie can have push button speed change as the whole belt shifting thing makes her nervous and given that my recent cantilever trashing episode was a direct result of knocking the belt off due to a clumsy speed change (and jumper wearing) maybe I should be too.

To be honest I don't think there can be a huge difference between any of the Speedbox SE, Heed or Wave Mechanic options (all of them in theory should produce an accurate 50Hz output). Must admit I'd be tempted by the Project box, if only because kits easily adjustable and has a digital display. Also as Anex points out, probably easier to get a hold of.

Uncle Ants, Apr 6, 2005
  6. Baudrillard

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

So... the Speedbox SE *can* cure the typical Rega 1% fast problem then??? Hmm - might move the Flutterbuster upstairs and invest in one of these before the end of the year then...

domfjbrown, Apr 6, 2005
  7. Baudrillard

Dunno about that. Depends on why a Rega might be 1% faster (ahs anyone ever investigated this properly?). If its because the spindle is machined such that it runs fast ie. they make em a tad too fat (likely) then all it would do would be to make it run 1% faster more accurately :rolleyes:

EDIT: but thinking a bit harder it could, by adjusting the speed down (doh!). Of course you would need a strobe and a strobe disc to get it right ... er ... wouldn't a speedbox SE and a strobe cost more than a Rega in the first place though (I assume we're talking P3).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2005
    Uncle Ants, Apr 6, 2005
  8. Baudrillard

Stuart

IIRC the whole 1% faster Rega thing was debunked on the former Rega forum some time ago. B-Diddy and others on PFM may be able to confirm this in more detail.

Stuart, Apr 6, 2005
  9. Baudrillard

Anex Thermionic

I cheap strobe and strobe disc is an accurately concert tuned guitar/piano and a piece played in said concert tuning. Not that great for WOW tests though.

Anex, Apr 6, 2005
  10. Baudrillard

:D I'd have thought a strobe would be easier though wouldn't you? I'll have a look in my turntable bits n bobs tin, but I'm sure I didn't leave a piano in there.

Uncle Ants, Apr 6, 2005
  11. Baudrillard

Anex Thermionic

Theres a piano in my house and a load of guitars :p
    They're a damn sight more fun to own than a strobe disc too :D

Anex, Apr 6, 2005
Ask a Question