HELP!!!! (cd player choice)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by shrink, Jul 6, 2005.

1. shrink

shrink

well guys i have a choice of two cd players.

help me pick on :)

please dont suggest other ideas as these two have been picked for various financial and economical reasons.

the nominees are:

Roksan caspian

Cyrus CD8X

i listen to almost every kind of music under the sun and my system is pretty neutral with good bass weight and clarity.

someone please help :)

shrink, Jul 6, 2005
  2. shrink

Tenson Moderator

I find the newer Cyrus gear a tad bright/thin but with the audiolab amps I think the CD8 would be perfect. It's a very very good CDP.

Tenson, Jul 6, 2005
  3. shrink

shrink

i think all cyrus gear has always tended towards the brighter end of things. and im keen not to make my system too bright as its just so balanced at the moment. that one product could push it either way

shrink, Jul 6, 2005
  4. shrink

Tenson Moderator

Well I also think Sony stuff sounds a bit bright so if you liek it as it is...

I think I would still go for the Cyrus in any system, its nice to be upgradeable and It's got more detail, soundstage.

Tenson, Jul 6, 2005
  5. shrink

shrink

i do find the sony DVD player a little strident on occasion. but the balance is so close. i was hoping a better player would have more control in spite of being a bright sound. therefore becoming less harsh on the ears

shrink, Jul 6, 2005
  6. shrink

Tenson Moderator

Probably! It's not sibilant or anything, just tries a little too hard to be exciting.

I know you said don't suggest anything but.... maybe an Arcam? I don't like their other stuff but the CDP's are good.

Tenson, Jul 6, 2005
  7. shrink

Cloth-Ears

In asking around about getting the Exposure top CD player at the same time as their amps I have heard good things about the cheaper 3010 player. A dealer said he definitely prefered the 3010 to the Cyrus. ( I had asked about the Cyrus as an alternative to Exposure's top player ). The 3010 retails at £1195. If you live near a dealer maybe you should try it against the Cyrus.

Cloth-Ears, Jul 6, 2005
  8. shrink

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Shrink - why these two?
    I have heard the previous version Cyrus CD8 - would love to know how much difference the 'x' brings. The 8 was not bad but somehow felt you weren't getting the whole music, just the outlines without much filling.
    Can't you get a Sugden CD21 on the list too?

alanbeeb, Jul 6, 2005
  9. shrink

shrink

hehe as said.. those two were for very specific reasons that i cant really go into but after much research i have settled for and ordered up the roksan caspian M series.

it seems to be more system friendly where cyrus likes to be with cyrus. It also avoids cyrus' tendency towards an overly sparkly sound. And its got pretty good low end power.

shrink, Jul 7, 2005
  10. shrink

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Why not add a Rega Jupiter and Naim CD5i to the list? I quite like the older Cyrus CDP I heard (think it was the forerunner to the 8) but reckon these others might be worth a look - especially if you can get one ex-dem, as they all weigh in at similar prices?

The Exposure could well be worth a check too (not heard one, but their current stuff is supposedly pretty decent :))

domfjbrown, Jul 7, 2005
  11. shrink

rsand I can't feel my toes

No substitute for listening yourself

rsand, Jul 7, 2005
  12. shrink

shrink

lol i cant help but think that people missed the "dont add any suggestions" comment possibly :)

anyway no matters as the roksan is ordered up and on its way ;-) And im very happy with the choice hehe

shrink, Jul 7, 2005
  13. shrink

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I always ignore that if there are viable alternatives in the same price range :)

domfjbrown, Jul 7, 2005
  14. shrink

shrink

what you must realise is that for me there were no viable alternatives... i had made it fairly clear that there were reasons why those two were chosen and i wasnt really able to consider other options.

So giving me them doesnt really help :)

But hey anyways... its all done and dusted. Player will get ordered up.

shrink, Jul 7, 2005
Ask a Question