Help: DAC keeps losing lock from Squeezebox

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Jun 23, 2006.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, as this problem is ruining my enjoyment of this system.

This is so frustrating - I am pretty much completely broke, and i have my system sounding so damn nice when it works, but its just so darned temperemental.

When I first got my Digilog DAC, i planned on using it as a source not only for the squeezebox but for the Sky.

I found it was unusable for the Sky because every time you change channels it loses its lock. So you would have to get up and cycle power repeatedly until it gets a lock, as soon as you change channel, repeat process.

I also had some difficulty getting it to lock onto the squeezebox, but once it was locked it was generally alright. However, for no apparent reason now and again it will just lose its lock completely. I have to do the power off/on thing repeatedly until it regains its lock.

Its done it twice in less than an hour now, and its just not good enough, I cant enjoy listening to music when its doing that all the time.

The really damn annoying thing is, the sound of this DAC does sound quite a bit better than the analogue outs of the SB3.

I cant afford a new DAC, and I dont want to have to step back in quality, but I just cant put up with this.

Anyone have any suggestions?

PBirkett, Jun 23, 2006
  2. PBirkett

Mr Perceptive

Paul

Sell it and buy a Meridian 203 DAC (£60) so shouldn't leave you oo much out of pocket.

Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive, Jun 23, 2006
  3. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Hmmm...

I like the sound of it TBH, I would rather try and fix the problem than chuck more money at it. I've not heard the 203, but I really cant see that matching this thing i've got for sound (and I would hope not since i paid £250 for the thing), but hey i could be wrong.

I've tried disabling the volume control on the SB3, see if that makes any difference. I somehow doubt it though.

PBirkett, Jun 23, 2006
  4. PBirkett

Mr Perceptive

Paul

The 203 may be old, but its good, if you don't like it you can always resell it

Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive, Jun 23, 2006
  5. PBirkett

julian2002 Muper Soderator

the sb2 has a pretty good digital out my decade has no trouble getting xlock which it did with the older sb1. the sb3 is basically an sb2 in a pretty box.
    you might try saving and getting the digilog modded again with a decent clock / reciever. or just sell it, put up with less than ideal sound for a month or 3 and get somethign decent after you've saved a bit. i'd suggest a dax-2.
    not really what you want to hear i know but sorry....

julian2002, Jun 23, 2006
  6. PBirkett

zanash

What cable are you using ? Have you tried optical to check if that does it too ?

zanash, Jun 23, 2006
  7. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Yep tried both... same result.

PBirkett, Jun 23, 2006
  8. PBirkett

zanash

The digilog is quite long in the tooth ...

did you say it had been moded ?

May be worth a quick look in side to see if ots not some thing as simple as a dry joint or losse ground on the dig in.

zanash, Jun 24, 2006
  9. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Could do... it hasnt done since i turned of the variable volume control on the digital out of the squeeze, so i'll see how it goes.

Yes the Digilog is an old DAC, but I thought it would be good considering its modded and that it uses the seemingly very fashionable-of-late TDA1541A DAC chip. It does sound nice to my ears when it works.

PBirkett, Jun 24, 2006
  10. PBirkett

zanash

You could be over loading the reciever chip ? if it now works with the output of the sqbox turned down I'd just keep it there. you could attenuate the diugi out of the sky boxd by adding a couple of res in the plug ....but I'd only be guessing at the values you'd need but something like 10k sig to ground and 6k sig only ? I'm certain that someone will know exactly the right value.

zanash, Jun 24, 2006
  11. PBirkett

mr cat Member of the month

I've got a nos dac for sale..

mr cat, Jun 24, 2006
  12. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

When you turn the volume control off on the SB it seems to default to the maximum volume.

It hasnt actually done it since i wrote this thread though, touch wood.

PBirkett, Jun 25, 2006
  13. PBirkett

Tenson Moderator

Paul don't get rid of it for a NOS DAC or a Meridian. The one you have is supposedly a very good DAC. As you say, it uses the 1541 which is a good start.

Fancy posting a detailed picture of the internals?

Tenson, Jun 25, 2006
  14. PBirkett

RobHolt Moderator

Seconded.

That's probably the best thing MF ever put to market and it just needs a little TLC.

It sounds fast and pacey but is a little raw up top. It gets the fundamentals right which is what matters, far more than a little roughness. Don't get involved in all that cabling cobblers - let's see whats in it.

RobHolt, Jun 25, 2006
  15. PBirkett

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Just a note to say don't confuse the voltage level of the output with the volume that is being represented digitally. 1's are represented at one voltage level and 0's at another. Leaving the digital volume set at default, max, untampered, merely means full volume is represented by 11111111, whereas reduced digital volume reduction will cut the max down to 11111110, 11111101 ... In all cases the voltage representing digital 1 will be the same at the digital output. Apologies if this distinction was already clear

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2006
    SteveC, Jun 26, 2006
  16. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Believe me when i say i wouldnt have got rid of it for a standard NOS DAC or meridian. I had a great trouble believing they would be better. Its nice to see some have actually of it, i was beginning to think nobody had heard of it.

It sounds gorgeous to my ears. Very fast pacey sound and mine seems to have a great midrange to it, smooth and full of prescense.

PBirkett, Jun 26, 2006
  17. PBirkett

Chris Jennings

Hi Paul.

Does the reliability vary with weather (temperature)?

Get you local Tech to check out the PSU, it may be low on volts and the pll is loosing lock (leaky old electrolytics.)

Chris

Chris Jennings, Jun 26, 2006
Ask a Question