Help for a beginner

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sammyo, Jul 19, 2009.

1. sammyo

sammyo

Hi. Remember me?

For what it's worth, CD's is clearly wrong. What is that apostrophe doing there?

Nomoretweaks is onto something. That post echoes my instincts but I just don't have the knowledge, which is why I came here.

The point is, I'm happy to buy new equipment if the main thing I should be focusing on is the risk of damaged goods.

And I'd love to buy second hand if I get better value for money that way.

But I don't have time to spend 10 years as a hobbyist before I make that choice.

I recognise that I would be happy enough with RS1s or Monitor Rs6s or B&W 685s or whatever. But if I'm much better off buying second-hand tannoys or Rogers then I'd probably rather do that. And I need to make some decisions before I have the opportunity to hear everything.

One approach would be to buy all of the second hand items, test-drive all of the new items and, months later, make a decision. But that is not an approach that I am going to take.

I'm a rational person. I'm of above average intelligence. And I can't make head or tales of these debates.

So, what I've decided is, I'm going to focus on second hand unless someone gives me a compelling case for new in any item.

Turntables may be an exception. I get the feeling that a decent LP12 would be perfect for me but there is clearly more rubbish sold under that banner at over-inflated prices than any other. So I may just get a Rega and live with it unless I find an LP12 that I am persuaded is worth its price.

I have had some excellent advice on second-hand speakers, I feel. However, I would like to know more about other Rogers and also what I might look for in B&W (the slightly muffled/wooly but warm sound, often attributed to B&W, is my cup of tea). In particular if anyone can say whether £350 for some Rogers Studio 1s would be worthwhile or not I would appreciate the insight.

Finally, I can hear a hint of a snigger about my Pioneer A 400. I could obviously get £100 for it on eBay and put in £200 or £300 more. If there are models (new or 2nd hand) I should be looking at there, that's the kind of info I was after. I know there are thousands of newcomers out there but I have scoured messageboards and it is very hard to find consensus views that just tell you the things you should be looking for.

Anyway. If anyone has any thoughts on a better amp that would be great. I just feel bewildered. Preamps too. How on earth does anyone figure all this out? There seems to be some collective wisdom out there but I can't believe you've all tried out 50 or 60 preamps to decide which ones you like best.

At least choosing the music I know where I am.

(I have to say, the debate is really helpful, and I really really appreciate everyone putting their 2p in to the conversation, even if there are some other debates going on as well).

sammyo, Jul 22, 2009
  2. sammyo

DavidF

Yes, I know, apologies Alan (and Sam) for that.

Just some thing that winds me up the wrong way, thats all.

DavidF, Jul 22, 2009
  3. sammyo

Alan Sircom

Surely that should be "that's all" ;)

I think it's best we draw this particular thread to a close.

Alan Sircom, Jul 22, 2009
  4. sammyo

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Sam

How big is your flat by the way?

I don't think we have that yet.

Sadly, very sadly, I should get out more - I have had 50+ amps in my house :S It's my hobby though.

The A400 is a classic.

Some speakers would benefit from some more juice. £400 or so would get you a better amp IME, across the board...

And no, I can't give you a compelling reason to buy all this stuff new - only perhaps the cartridge on your new turntable.

On a final note on the room/system - if you can draw the room, where your furniture is, where you sit - scan it and put it up somewhere we can download it this would be more useful than just room measurements.

Lastly, stay positive and don't give up !

Incidentally for Alan's benefit - I'd ruled out ''vaulted ceilings'' and ''barn measurements'' because Sammyo had already said he lived in a city centre flat.

I do agree though alan (as above) more room information would benefit.

I'd like to see the room acoustically modelled which i hope to do for Sammyo if I can.

bottleneck, Jul 22, 2009
  5. sammyo

DavidF

:eek:

You're quite right, too.

You caught me napping.

:eek:

DavidF, Jul 22, 2009
  6. sammyo

Sammyo

Here is a thread on 'general amp reccomendations used, circa £500'. Might be some info of interest for you in it.

Some loudspeakers need more power than others, just as some speakers work in some rooms better than others.

Here's the article anyway

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65990

bottleneck, Jul 22, 2009
  7. sammyo

DavidF

"I'm a rational person. I'm of above average intelligence. And I can't make head or tales of these debates.

So, what I've decided is, I'm going to focus on second hand unless someone gives me a compelling case for new in any item."

Then you probably ARE making sense of the posts.

In my book its part of the fun swapping around bits of kit.

I've used dealers in the past but I've always felt under a LITTLE pressure to make decision (probably not the shop owner's intention at all) buts it's inevitable to an extent.

I think e bay has changed things.

It makes kit swapping relaitively straight forward, not good news for dealers but I'm afraid thats life. Stuff has changed.

FWIW Sam, LP2s can be awkward to set up and sound like s**t (as I understand it) if not done properly.

DavidF, Jul 22, 2009
  8. sammyo

Bob McC living the life of Riley

But they'd ironed it out by the time they got to the LP12!

Bob McC, Jul 22, 2009
  9. sammyo

Nomoretweaks Tourist on tilt

Nomoretweaks, Jul 22, 2009
  10. sammyo

DavidF

Sorry, LP12 is what I meant of course.

I'm a bit rusty on the terminology just now.

Thanks for pointing out the error, Bob.

DavidF, Jul 23, 2009
  11. sammyo

That is a very good price.

Worth a punt at that price.

You will definately want a seperate phono stage for your new turntable.

There is a Cambridge Azur and a Project phonobox on Ebay right now.

bottleneck, Jul 23, 2009
  12. sammyo

13. sammyo

la toilette Downright stupid

Hi Sammy,

As I mentioned the Studio 1's I'll do my best to help. I bought mine about 7 years ago and paid £180, and sold them about 18months later for £220. They were in first class condition. IMHO compared to the few new speakers in the £600 or so range I've seen in my rare visits to hifi shops, the Studio 1's are miles better. But then, they were in a higher price range when new.

But, there are simply hundreds of options for 2nd hand speakers at around that price, so I can't say that they're the best option for you as I'm not you. I think if you could pick up a pair for £250 you'd be happy, and if you could hear them first (which I'm sure you could from the seller (The Emporium) on ebay who's got them for £350 as they're dealers who seem to be well liked by people on here), then maybe you'd be sufficiently convinced to buy them at that price....?

la toilette, Jul 24, 2009
Ask a Question