Help, I've lost my mojo!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by My name is Ron, Jan 13, 2005.

1. My name is Ron

My name is Ron It is, it really is

I have a hi-fi related problem that I'm hoping somebody here can help me resolve.

Having recently added a couple of upgrades to my TT set up (new wires/ phone amp) I was really happy with the results. Over Christmas it was singing. An absolute joy to listen to.

Then, last week, I took the fateful decision to replace and resolder the cartridge tags. This I achieved without too much fuss, even being bold enough to use lead-free silver solder for extra hi-fi kudos. The result? It sounds like a Stepford version of its former self – everything's there, but with none of the colour or passion. It's lost its drive, its body, its sense of life. I can't bear to listen anymore, it's so pallid.

What's happened? I've checked and rechecked, aligned and realigned, but to no avail. Could the silver solder be the culprit? Has this somehow altered the nature of the signal coming from the cartridge? (When I get the time and a bit more confidence I'm going to redo it with bog-standard solder to find out.)

One other thing bothers me. While realigning the cartridge I allowed the tip of the screwdriver to touch the magnetic underbelly of the cartridge (a high-output MC). Could this have somehow zapped it in a kryptonite-like manner?

Your thoughts and suggestions would be most welcome.

My name is Ron, Jan 13, 2005
  2. My name is Ron

penance Arrogant Cock

Possibly a bad/dry solder joint.
    Try reflowing the joints.

penance, Jan 13, 2005
  3. My name is Ron

It had occured to me that my soldering might be at fault. However, I think not, since there's no discernable loss of sound, just a palpable lack of sex drive. What's a dry solder joint by the way? And anybody know anything about screwdrivers and their compatibility, or lack thereof, with MC cartridge bodies?

BTW Strauss has just hit another ton.

4. My name is Ron

penance Arrogant Cock

Ron
    A dry joint means the solder had not flowed correctly, can be caused by not enough heat, to much heat, dirt etc. Normally it will show as the joint will not be shiny, but in the case of silver solder not always, as the solder itself may not produce a shiny finish.

penance, Jan 13, 2005
  5. My name is Ron

Tenson Moderator

Well if you believe in that sort of thing, maybe the new connections just need to 'run in'? If cables do I don't see why a solder joint can't.

If it was a magnetic screwdriver it may have somehow messed up some of the magnetised parts inside the cartridge? If it's under warranty you could always have it break down...if you know what I mean!

Tenson, Jan 13, 2005
  6. My name is Ron

spxy

The joint is probably not as good as before.soldering well takes skill, you may get a connection but at the levels you get from vinyl you really need a strong connection.

spxy, Jan 13, 2005
  7. My name is Ron

Graham C

I am not a fan of any solder that requires more heat than lead/tin [190 degC]. It just means more heat stress, and a harder job of making a good joint. See post in DIY somewhere

Graham C, Jan 13, 2005
  8. My name is Ron

Okay, I'm going to have to get the solder iron out and put some lead back into the proceedings. It was bloody fiddly first time round and I was hoping I'd never have to do it again. A job for the weekend methinks.

Ask a Question