Help me choose an Amp, s/h £500

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sanj, Apr 3, 2004.

1. sanj

sanj follow the tao

Hi All

I want to build a new system around a pair of dynaudio contour 1.3mkIIs speakers. They need an amp which can drive their 4ohm load with ease

Have tried them with a roksan caspian but finding it a little harsh and suffering from sibiliance on many recordings. (Changing source, cables, ics doesnt help)

So thinking of an amp which isn't so bright with the contours; and has good controlled/tight bass like the caspian. I listen to from jazz, acoustic to dance, dub - so a wide range.

Considering s/h amp around 500 quid. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Otherwise, I like the caspian, would adding a pre-amp with tone controls be a bad idea? Also my budget would be less then, around 300 s/h

cheers
    sanj

sanj, Apr 3, 2004
  2. sanj

Alex S User

I'm not just saying this because I'm selling it but why not come over and hear my Densen DM10 - its a very good match with Dynaudios.

Alex S, Apr 3, 2004
  3. sanj

muffinman

get in touch with the emporium. http://www.emporiumhifi.com/ tell them your budget and take their advice. they do home demo's with a full deposit. and you will hear a wide range of sounds , probably from amps you would not have considered.

just my 2p worth

muffinman, Apr 3, 2004
  4. sanj

funkyboogalooo

May possibly have my Tag 60iRv for sale which is bang on £500 should you want it. Built in 2000 absolutely double mint condition with oe box and remote. Only thing not with it is the owners manual but I have downloaded that and printed it off so no problem.
    It sounds abolutely fantastic, it has the same pre-amp in it as Tags range topper the PA20. the amp is easily switched to run integrated or pre amp.
    Should know by Monday if i'm selling it. Am only selling it as I am likely to cahnge to something else that may (hopefully) suit my spekaers better.
    Mike

funkyboogalooo, Apr 3, 2004
  5. sanj

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Sanj, you haven't told us what you are using as a source. The harshness and sibilance may be coming from your CD player.

technobear, Apr 3, 2004
  6. sanj

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

If you can stretch your budget a little you might manage to find a NAD S300. I paid £800 for mine, but know one went for £650. The S300 has quite a lot of grunt. See the thread a couple of months ago about the S300 and gryphon tabu century for a lot of information.

I-S, Apr 3, 2004
  7. sanj

sane4sure

Sanj,

Another vote here for the Tag 60iRV - your DAC20 will love you for it!

Stu.

sane4sure, Apr 3, 2004
  8. sanj

sanj follow the tao

Thanks for suggestions guys!
    I've been experimenting a bit with the source.
    Currently I use a pioneer 747a dvd as transport/dac20. Not that I want to get into a debate about needing a dedicated transport...:rolleyes:
    The 747 is known to be a bit on the bright side, but I would have thought the dac would have sorted this out?

I also tried my v. old budget technics mash cdp, and the sound is still fairly bright. But I'm not sure if this cdp is bright anyway

I actually really like the caspian and its supposed be a smooth amp by some accounts, so maybe it is a source problem :confused:

Further thoughts would be appreciated

cheers

sanj, Apr 4, 2004
  9. sanj

Joolsburger

Try an Exposure of some sort?

Joolsburger, Apr 4, 2004
Ask a Question