Help needed I seem to have a BIG problem !!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by taz, Mar 23, 2011.

1. taz

taz

Ok as some of you may know I am just reviving my HiFi after a 3 year lay-off and looking to improve it, to help with my problem I will tell you my kit,
    Marantz SACD 7001 KI
    Marantz PM7001 KI
    B&W DM603 S3
    VDH D102 Mk iii I/C
    home made (well Zanash actually solid silver speaker cables)
    now 3 years ago I had a modified Marantz cd 5001 ose and everything worked fine, I bought the new sacd from a dealer via Evilbay and just last week put everything
    back together, I had been using the B&W's as front's for my home AV system and they where fine, anyway Tonight I have just sat down for a bit of a listen as the other night
    I just wasn't happy with the sound so I thought as it's ages since it's been a hifi set up and I have the matching CD now I thought maybe it was just me, now the other night I was listening to "Afterglow" by Sarah McLaughlin
    and I was expecting the new CD to just sound much better than the old one but the treble seemed lacking and there was detail missing, so messing around (like you do) I switched the 2nd speaker channel off leaving just
    the tweeters powered and I could hardly hear any music through them ??? I should explain the amp has 2 speaker outputs which you use when bi wiring (like I have done) the B&W's.
    The way it works is that the 1st speaker output powers both tweeters and the 2nd both mid/bass. switching the 2nd output on and the 1st of seems fine but with only the tweeters powered you can hardly hear anything, now I'm sure
    this hasn't always been the case and in the past although quieter the 1st output and tweeters where much louder ??? this may also explain why the system sounds so dissapointing as well, Iv'e checked the wireing is correct via the manual
    and it is, changed I/C's etc but nothing helps, it certainly sounds as though something has gone very wrong. The question is what ??? and where do I start the testing/elimination process ?? I can't afford to take to a dealer so I'm in a right
    state, iv'e just put my Quad bike up for sale to raise some funds towards some new speakers, either Focal Chorus 826's or Monitor audio GS 20's but right now I'm gutted, I was really looking forward to having my HiFi back up and working
    Please someone help me
    thanks

taz, Mar 23, 2011
  2. taz

Tenson Moderator

Connect the speakers single-wired with jumper links between the high and low frequency binding posts. See if it works okay like this.

Do you know if your amp actually has a separate amp for each of its outputs? I have an amp with two sets of stereo outputs but they are all run from the same amp really. Bi-wiring like this is pointless really.

Anyway try that an see what happens. got to figure out if the problem is the system or the speakers.

Tenson, Mar 23, 2011
  3. taz

taz

I wouldn't have thought it would be a speaker problem?
    what's the likely hood of both speakers failing at the same time ? still at this stage i'm open to any suggestion
    thanks

taz, Mar 23, 2011
  4. taz

zanash

hi....long time !

revert back to your previous setup and see if the problem goes away ...

good advice ..swap speakers round ......

check and double check all connections ....this might include undoing them and refitting them ...

if its only the hi freq then check the amp for filtering ...bass treble settings ...

revert to single wire ......

do I recall that you had a tweeter issue when I came over that time ? can't remember how we resolved it ...

so basiccally if it was working ok before you started to movethings round ...then its likely that the move round is the issue !

zanash, Mar 23, 2011
  5. taz

taz

Hi Zanash, yes long time mate.
    I have some other speakers from my AV system and I knocked up some jumpers and found some old speaker cable to single wire, when you came I had a different amp and cd player but these have both been working fine, as for the tweeters they are both damaged well pushed in and out of shape and it did occur to me that as they have both been pushed in it "could" be that, the cd we modified is in the shed but i'm not sure if it works, it looks like a cap has leaked ? :confused: I have checked the wireing and changed the I/C's , I thought there might be a way of testing for voltage output or something ?

taz, Mar 23, 2011
  6. taz

zanash

have you swaped back to how the system was before it had problems ?

zanash, Mar 24, 2011
  7. taz

taz

not yet mate, not had chance, i am waiting till everyone has gone out, prob sat night so i can have some peace and quiet while I do everything

taz, Mar 24, 2011
  8. taz

taz

RIGHT checked everything out and all seems fine, the funny thing is i tried my old cd player and it sounds better than the new sacd 7001 ki ? and i'm selling the old cd for £75 on some other forums !!! I must be mad

taz, Mar 25, 2011
  9. taz

Andy registered grazer

Sounds like it could be the analogue output stage of the new cdp at fault. Could you borrow a DAC from anyone and connect it between the digital out and your amp?

As it's from a dealer, maybe you could return it as faulty and get a replacement...I'd hang on to the 5001 for the time being if it was me.

Andy, Mar 27, 2011
  10. taz

taz

probably will get the cd and amp checked, can't send the cd player back as i have filled the case with sound deadening stuff so I dub't they will help, got it from lintone audio a few weeks ago, i could ask like but i doubt they would accept any responsibility now

taz, Mar 29, 2011
  11. taz

Tenson Moderator

Do you have a computer with a sound card that could record the CD player?

I could send you a file to burn on a CD. Play it on the player, and record on the computer. Send me the recording and I can analyse it for you.

Tenson, Mar 29, 2011
  12. taz

taz

how can i check/test the analouge out of the cd player ?

taz, Mar 29, 2011
  13. taz

taz

yes ok mate that would be cool thanks

taz, Mar 29, 2011
  14. taz

taz

err how do i record it to the computer please ?

taz, Mar 29, 2011
  15. taz

Tenson Moderator

>>Here<< you are, download that and burn it to an audio CD.

Play it in the CD player with the analog output connected to the computers Line Input and record it. Use at least 44.1KHz 16bit to record it please. Audacity is a free of charge recording program.

Tenson, Mar 29, 2011
  16. taz

taz

my pc is an Acer 8930g what cable do i need to connect the cd to my laptop please? there are no phono sockets on my laptop, but my cd player has otical out and digital out

taz, Mar 29, 2011
  17. taz

Tenson Moderator

Most likely it will have a mini-jack socket near the headphone socket. It will probably be a mic input, and I've no idea if this can be switched to line input mode in the sound control panel somewhere. You'll need to have a look.

Tenson, Mar 29, 2011
  18. taz

taz

ok finally managed to do it with windows sound recoder, never done anything like this before, so what do i do with the file now please

taz, Mar 29, 2011
  19. taz

taz

can I email to you ?

taz, Mar 29, 2011
  20. taz

Tenson Moderator

Drag it onto the green box here - http://www.mediafire.com/, this will upload it to their servers. You can then give me the link it provides.

Tenson, Mar 29, 2011
Ask a Question