Help needed with faulty speaker!

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by harrygrey382, Jul 11, 2006.

1. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

Hi, my audio knowledge is limited so please be patient...
    I've just built cabinets for my KEF CR160f's (fullrange that pre dates UniQ I think).
    They were working fine when I tested them. I then took them out to paint the cabs, and when I resinstalled one was dead.
    After minor investigations it looks like the little unit on the side of the driver has blown. I don't know what this thing is, it has a capacitor on top (well, a little blue cylinder that says ALCAP), and below this is a plastic case with something pink inside. The +ve wire goes through this unit.
    When I bypass all this and go straight to the driver sound comes out perfectly. I could keep it like this but I assume it's there for a reason.
    So, if you're still with me I have two questions. Firstly, what is the faulty unit and secondly how do i fix it?
    I have no idea how this fault occured, one minute it was working next it wasn't, I'm sure I didn't overdrive them and all electronics seem fine otherwise.
    Any help seriously appreciated.

harrygrey382, Jul 11, 2006
  2. harrygrey382

Nuuk

I would suggest contacting KEF's service department! The well-established hi-fi companies are usually very good at helping with problems like yours. ;)

Nuuk, Jul 12, 2006
  3. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

Right, thanks. will try them.

harrygrey382, Jul 12, 2006
Ask a Question