help needed!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by newbie, Dec 18, 2007.

1. newbie

hi all, i was wondering if anyone could help me with a little query that i have. i have recently acquired a set of tannoy 611 mk 11 speakers, and i was wondering how much would they be worth? i cant find any on e bay, and dont have any idea as to how old they are. they are in really good condition, and they sound amazing. i also have a denon pma 250 11 amplifier, denon drm 510 tape deck and a denon dcd 660 cd deck. i know enough to know that new, this set would have cost a bit, but i am just interested, as all this is new to me! any help would be greatly appreciated. cheers.

newbie, Dec 18, 2007
  2. newbie

Sonusthree Coaxial Kid

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Please excuse me if I make any mistakes but I've had very little sleep ........ :SLEEP:

The price on Ebay varies. I don't think that it matters too much if they are Mk1 or Mk2.

I've seen some go for £80 or so but this is rare and usually only for 'collection only' auctions.
    I've also seen them go for about £200.

I'd say, from memory, that an average pair should sell for £140 - £160 on Ebay.

I'd maybe add £10 or £15 if they come with the optional 'plinth'.
    The plinth is a fibre board base that widens the 'footprint' and increases stabilty.

You can find the manual for the 'sixes' range here: http://www.hnny.nl/archief_tannoy.html

I much prefer the more open and detailed sound of the Mk1 as opposed to the slightly warmer sound of yours. I have heard that the Mk1 was criticised for being a little sibilant (harsh sounding on 'S' and 'T' of voices and cymbals etc) so Tannoy answered this with the Mk2 version.

I have heard both versions 'side by side' on my system and concluded that:

The MK1 and MK2 sound identical except for the tweeters.
    The MK1 and MK2 look identical except that the MK1 has a fake marble top and your MK2 have a plain black.

I can't find the link right now but, iirc, the Mk1 were made '91-'92 and the MK2 from '93 to '94.

I've heard that they cost around £400 when they were new and that prices varied over time. Don't forget that £400 was a lot of money back then!

They can be filled with sand or lead shot through small holes in the plastic bases. They sound better and have less chance of being tipped over.

Man, I really need some sleep .... on the sofa ...... drifting away to the holographic projection that beams from my 611's .....

Cheers,
    Martin. :SLEEP:

Sonusthree, Dec 19, 2007
  3. newbie

thanks alot mate, considering i was given them, im well happy. cheers

newbie, Dec 19, 2007
  4. newbie

know anyone who might be interested in buying a set? i also have a denon amplifier, tape deck and cd player. id let the lot go for 200 quid. the tape deck is a bit shafted coz my son got old of it, but it still works.

newbie, Dec 19, 2007
Ask a Question