Help Rotel CDP is now a coffee grinder

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lordsummit, Nov 20, 2003.

1. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

Anyone got any ideas. My Rotel RCD-991 is currently just whirring away like a coffee grinder, and whatever I tell it to do the door refuses to open. I've tried turning it on and off and disconnecting the power, but it is still refusing to release the CD and open the drawer. Is this going to cost me mega bucks?

lordsummit, Nov 20, 2003
  2. lordsummit

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

:rolleyes:

I have a spare mech (with one cog stripped... hopefully not the same one) if it helps...

I-S, Nov 20, 2003
  3. lordsummit

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

ounds like youve lost some teeth on the worm drive (door eject mech).

Take the lid off, shake the box - any little black plastic teeth falling out?

lAmBoY, Nov 20, 2003
  4. lordsummit

PBirkett VTEC Addict

It seems to me like that RCD-991 is not built anywhere as well as it should be given its original price tag :(

PBirkett, Nov 20, 2003
  5. lordsummit

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I feel Issac is correct Lordsummit :rolleyes: the sony mech in that rotel does seem to suffer from drive dog teeth problems, you can easily tell, one the lid is removed, push the eject button and watch the draw come out, on the right hand side, by the laser carriage, there is a bank of white plastic drive dogs, using a magnifing glass just check the teeth, odds on They'll be a few stripped I feel. Wm

wadia-miester, Nov 20, 2003
  6. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

Phew..........
    I pulled it off it's shelf, and moved it around some, then all of a sudden the whirring stopped. The door opened to reveal a CD that I'd put in upside down! I think it musn't have located properly onto the spindle, so not only was the laser confused but the mech, hence the frantic whirring!!! It is now playing beautifully w/o a hitch. Hope it's not the mech.
    Paul I think you may be right about the build. It does feel very solid though. The mech may well not be all it's cracked up to be. I used a Technics for 5 years before and had no hitches at all. This one seems to be a little more temperamental. One player cost £80 new, one cost £900. Go figure:(

lordsummit, Nov 20, 2003
  7. lordsummit

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Phew. Glad it wasn't more serious...

The same mech makes an appearance in many mid-range and even high end CD players, such as several Arcam models, the SAT CDfix, etc. Seems to me though that they spoil it for the sake of a few pennys not to put a stronger cog (or cogs) in.

I-S, Nov 20, 2003
Ask a Question