Help! Vinyl care (esp. with Knosti)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by digidither, Aug 12, 2007.

1. digidither

sideshowbob Trisha

I use a VPI 16.5, it does an excellent job.

How noisy it is is neither here nor there. When I'm cleaning records I'm not listening to music, just as I'm not listening to music when I hoover the house.

There is no need to clean records more than once or, in the case of very dirty records, perhaps twice, provided they are subsequently stored properly. There's no doubt it works, and if you buy a lot of secondhand vinyl I would say a decent vacuum machine is essential.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 26, 2007
  2. digidither

digidither

I own maybe 2000 LPs already! For me the issue is, can I get listening pleasure out of them (like a classic car), or are they a write-off (like an old fridge)? Replacing them is not a solution. Many of you will say that, with so many LPs, the sensible thing is to invest in an RCM, and yes, I'll get a sample of my records professionally cleaned as an experiment, but I'm very sceptical about the results (I may well have knackered the grooves with my old gear).

I think this is the crux. Although I'm as susceptible to nostalgia about my LP collection as the next person, the bottom line is that I always did find vinyl exasperating. In my youth I was forever taking new LPs back to shops and cursing when the new copy I brought home had exactly the same pressing fault. On the fascinating "The Age of Living Stereo: A tribute to John Pfeiffer" (RCA 9026-68524-2), the great RCA stereo pioneer of the 1950s is asked what he thinks of CDs, and he replies that, in terms of getting the quality of master tapes into people's living rooms, the passing of viinyl was an event of joyful liberation.

digidither, Aug 26, 2007
  3. digidither

kbnymets

Hi Guys

Better late...

I've used a knosti for years. You have to turn your LP for a long time...two or three minutes minimum...thirty or forty turns. And they take at least an hour to dry properly. Yes, your stylus may drag some crud out on first playing, and a second clean may be needed. And yes, expensive replacement fluid might work better. But my records always at least look better after cleaning. It won't be as good as a VPI ot Nitty Gritty, but then it costs peanuts.

Hunt EDA Brush! And Russ Andrews stylus cleaner...it works.

kbnymets, Aug 26, 2007
  4. digidither

mick parry stroppy old git

Rob asked .. "Mick I've never seen or heard the Loricraft. Is it really that quiet?"

Deadly quiet and the quality oozes out.

I live just a few miles away from Loricraft and have seen their cleaners bieng built and the quality is top end.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Aug 26, 2007
  5. digidither

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I too have heard these cleaners. They are very quiet. Alot quieter than the VPI cleaner that I own. They do look well made. I can't say if they are loads better than the cheaper VPI.

I can also vouch for the Okki Nokki cleaner as well. Excellent value for money.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 27, 2007
  6. digidither

Dom_ --->

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2007
    Dom_, Aug 27, 2007
Ask a Question