Help with an all in one DVD / Speaker system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Feb 8, 2004.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

My dad has a Sony DAVS-500 system and he is unhappy with the sound quality. No amount of tweeking has helped lift its sound to what he feels is an acceptable level, and ideally I think he would like to get rid of it, but we have a problem in that the carpet is layed over the cables and it is not practical to lift the carpet to remove the cables, which are tacked down.

I was just wondering whether it was possible to just cut the cables and re-attach the plugs to some cheapy cable, or whether its possible to buy replacement cable with the plugs attached from Sony?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

PBirkett, Feb 8, 2004
  2. PBirkett

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I dunno, but the '500's not that bad for movies soundwise. It's an all in one though, so what does your dad expect?

Convince him of the ways of seperates there - surely he's heard your system and rates it over an all in one?

domfjbrown, Feb 9, 2004
  3. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Hi Dom,

The DAVS-500, although we didnt expect a huge amount, failed to live up even to low expectations. Speech is sometimes hard to understand, and it just generally crap. I've actually told him to splice the plugs off the end and buy some more speaker cable and tape them to the end if he wants to get rid. Although he did say he felt it sounded better in the shop, makes me wonder if its dodgy. Anyway, he actually came from seperates a while back, and i think he might be expecting too much.

PBirkett, Feb 9, 2004
  4. PBirkett

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

My mate's '300 is pretty good - Shrek and T2 shone on it for what it is. That said, it IS no match for seperates.

I've not directly heard the 500 but the 300 is OK... I reckon he's got a duff one after all dude. Convince him to go to Richers or something - that little Panasonic 2box DVD mini might be worth a punt too?

BTW - the Sony speakers are horrid. It sounded pretty good with the above films, but you couldn't get past the Bose Accoustimass style boxy quaky mids and muffled highs, due to the 1 way drivers and crappy little plastic boxes...

domfjbrown, Feb 9, 2004
Ask a Question