Help with Lenco L75 restoration project

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by vincula, Oct 11, 2011.

1. vincula

vincula

Hello guys,

Just got a Lenco L75 today. It works fine, but I'd like to turn this baby into a beast. There were some experts around here. I'm in Denmark at the moment, and instead of shipping the deck to my home in Spain, I was considering sending it for a proper service/update to the UK. Any ideas, links, addresses, recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Oct 11, 2011
  2. vincula

DSJR

The main work is easily done by yourself and in the first instance involves greasing and oiling the main bearing (grease on the thrust pad and a few drops of oil on the main shaft/felt oil ring) and VERY thoroughly cleaning the underside of the platter and the idler wheel. many L75's (GL75's in the UK) tend to have the arm ripped off and something else fitted on. I think there's still good mileage in the supplied arm and "Desmo" on eBay does some replacement V blocks for the bearing. the Lencoheaven site will have all the info you need and I believe that there's also someone making better main bearings on a trade-in scheme (I think he uses the existing shaft/spindle and manufactures a high quality outer/sleeve/thrust assembly for it).

By the way - Rob, if you get to read this, did you do anything with the GL75 I sold you last year?

DSJR, Oct 11, 2011
  3. vincula

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Dave,

Nothing as yet and it still sits in a cupboard.
    Lack of time really - I'll get to it one of these days :)

RobHolt, Oct 11, 2011
  4. vincula

hifipete

As suggested by DSJR the cleaning/greasing of the bearing and motor etc. can be quite easily undertaken by yourself. Have a look at the 'how' to' section in Lencoheven website. There is a wealth of information available.

The 75 in very much underated.......... with a few tweaks and a decent new plinth it sure can be a sonic BEAST:)

hifipete, Oct 11, 2011
  5. vincula

DSJR

It's not underrated here in the UK, as the rapid price rises recently have shown :)

I have a GL78 promised me. I liked this model and look forward to actually using it in the future (wifey's going to go spare.........)

DSJR, Oct 12, 2011
  6. vincula

vincula

Thanks a lot, mates:D. Will surely add a massive plinth in Russ Collison style and surely keep the arm. Thanks for the tip regarding the replacement of the V blocks. Guess it'll work wonders with a DL 103, just to name one I own. I've read these arms were underrated too.

What additional arm/s do you recommend as a good choice without breaking the bank? Would like to keep the "vintage" looks, and a 12" could be nice, but prices are :cry:!

Once again, thanks for your help.

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Oct 13, 2011
Ask a Question