Help with wireless system/ipod

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Colin2040, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Colin2040

Colin2040

I have now been using my Sonos system for about 4 months and very pleased with the results,I have a NAS device for storage of my miusic and so far I have added all my wifes cds . Recently there was a problem with a WAV file that was corrupted and I have since changed to using apple lossless and I have found that there are overall improvements.Not sound related but just simpler and easier to use . So as a result I invested in an IPOD touch partly as I can use it as a Sonos controller via an app which means I now have a remote for the unit attached to my hifi. Now the hard bit..... . The computer has my sons music files on it within itunes and my files will be stored on the NAS with ITUNES MANAGING THEM. When I sync my ipod how do I get it to sync with the NAS and not his itunes files?

Colin2040, Apr 10, 2011
  2. Colin2040

Tenson Moderator

I'd suggest you keep all music on the NAS, including your sons. Then you can point iTunes at the NAS as it's working directory.

Tenson, Apr 10, 2011
  3. Colin2040

Colin2040

Well funny you should say that but using my own logic I have thought about down loading the music he has got ,most of which I still have on cd ,on to a stick and loading it directly on to the NAS. I'll give it a try tomorrow as I have a real bad bout of man flu.
    Its one of the few reasons I have avoided using i tunes and I am already finding it frustrating, it to me , is just not user friendly where as windows media was.

But I will persevere until I have it sussed.

Colin2040, Apr 11, 2011
  4. Colin2040

Tenson Moderator

I agree, I don't like the way iTunes tries to organise everything for me. I use Spotify instead, it just gives you a big list of your local files and you can list them by Artist, track etc.. or search them.

Tenson, Apr 11, 2011
  5. Colin2040

Colin2040

I have managed to transfer file swhich I had within Winows media easily as I just asked to send folders to the network and it just went through smoothly. The ones I am having difficulty with are those ones that are within itunes on the computer.I thought I would drop and drag but nope. I dont seem able to get them on to a memory stick either to load directly into the NAS. There must be a simple way surely.
    I have gone on line for info but transferring from a library to a NAS doesnt seem to be covered anywhere I have looked so far.

Colin2040, Apr 11, 2011
  6. Colin2040

Tenson Moderator

The files will just be in a folder somewhere on the computer. They are not 'in' iTunes, so it will be easy to copy them directly across.

Tenson, Apr 11, 2011
  7. Colin2040

Colin2040

Thanks Tenson, in stating the obvious, I did a search found the folders and dragged them over . For some reason I had been desperately trying to find something within the Itunes page to assist but you were right .
    Appreciate that.

Colin2040, Apr 11, 2011
  8. Colin2040

Colin2040

So far so good, but I cannot get the Ipod to synch with the NAS library any other ideas.I have been told to set sync to manual and try then?

Colin2040, Apr 15, 2011
Ask a Question