HFC Forum-you have to laugh

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by analoguekid, Jun 20, 2004.

1. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

analoguekid, Jun 20, 2004
  2. analoguekid

Saab

yes,its the first marginally technical thread even I can answer,although a "wtf" seems more appropiate than a simple question mark:)

Saab, Jun 20, 2004
  3. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

:D :D :D Dave I was being polite, someone suggested on the Happy birthday ZG thread that we should post on other fora and mention ZG, mmmmmmmm, not so sure after seeing that one.

4. analoguekid

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

It does seem a little anal, Id agree.

No worse than polishing the pins of your plugs or any of the other bizarre audiophile tweakery there is though..

One exception to his question..
    Of course not good to disconnect speakers from valves when the amplifier is on, as it likes to see a load.

Hopefully anyone interested enough in hifi to have a valve amp would already know that though!! :)

Chris

bottleneck, Jun 20, 2004
  5. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

Chris normal tweakery makes sense, (sometimes), and polishing pins has sound basis in science, (i Think) but thought this bizzare, one for the reason you mentioned, and 2 unplug yes in thunderstorm but cannot see how disconnecting speakers will make any difference whatsoever, if you don't like the idea turn it off or do like Sid says and mute or turn volume down.

I suppose it makes a change from I"I have cheap marantz cd player and want the next (£50 more) gti nutterbastard model, got great reviews will I notice a HUGE difference, or my favourite, I have just bought "Xbrand" (insert famous well reviewd brand here) can you all pat me on the back and reasure me waht a good little sheep I have been, obviously I'm paraphrasing but you get the point, although you can sometimes geeet good discussions from the regulars, just not as much fun as ZG.

6. analoguekid

PeteH Natural Blue

True. Much easier to get started in and considerably less intimidating than ZG though, where the fact that many regulars know each other by their (real) first names can make it seem a little cliquey - even though it's clearly not really.

PeteH, Jun 20, 2004
  7. analoguekid

wolfgang

And the ability to not take it too seriously is another key to understanding you lot.

wolfgang, Jun 20, 2004
  8. analoguekid

rewster

:mad: And herein lies the problem...

So what if the guy asks a left field question, aren't we supposed to welcome people into the fold? Didn't we all ask a question once that seems daft now?

God knows there are enough weird discussions and thoughts floating about in here to fuel a shrink or scientist for the rest of their lives.

The one thing that HFC offers is a true entry into the 'hifi world' without some of the pretentious crap that happens on here from time to time. Whilst there are many truly intelligent and/or pleasant people within all the audio fora, I find that ZG is indeed a bit 'cliquey' and there is plenty of mutual appreciation society behaviour and stage managed back patting going on. In tandem with a 'holier than thou' attitude centering around 'True hi end' system ownership, or dogmatic views, I can see why there may be a psychological barrier to new members.
    Anyone who has hung around will remember good contributors who have fallen foul of the 'regime', and consequently fallen away from the forum, maybe that is how the audio fora have recently recieved bad pres from the journalists.

All taken into account, we should realise that none of us has a God given comprehensive knowledge in any area, and sometimes it would pay to listen to the odd naive question, and answer it in the spirit of communication and a shared hobby, rather than to shout it down and belittle the person asking.

We must be aware that our hobby (because that is what it is really) is under attack from the march of consumerism and technology, increasingly many of us will find ourselves in increasingly stagnant backwaters without the ability to adapt, to learn and equally to teach and encourage.

rewster, Jun 20, 2004
  9. analoguekid

Saab

fair point,I can relate to that being the king of naive questions,and fair play to the poster,you have to have some balls to ask whether speakers need to be disconnected everyday (unless its a girl asking)

Saab, Jun 20, 2004
  10. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

Rewster you are of course correct,

I often post on HFC sometimes for srguments sake and other times to try and offer genuine help and advice to those that seek it, but this particular post didn't seem to have any point or real question to it, it really didn't make sense.

As for ZG being cliquey, I can see how that may seem like that, but I have only been posting here for a few months and have been made to feel very welcome, trick on here is a lot of the guys know each other personally and as such they continulaly take the piss, but keep your tounge in your cheek, and don't take things too seriously and ye shall be made to feel welcome.

paul

11. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

:D :D

12. analoguekid

Saab

This place isn't cliquey when compared to the Pink Fish place,everytime I enter that site I suffer disturbing flashes of the banjo playing scene from Deliverence

Saab, Jun 20, 2004
  13. analoguekid

rewster

(unless its a girl asking)

:D

And there was me being all liberal and modern!!

rewster, Jun 20, 2004
  14. analoguekid

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

well my piss taking was certainly tongue in cheek.

Youve just got to face the fact that our whole hobby is horribly nerdy to the outside world, and when you get down to the level of polishing your fusebox or whatever, you have to laugh at yourself, whatever difference it may make, its going to appear laughable to the outside world.

If you dont believe me, try telling some people at work some of the audiophile tweakery that goes on..

Damn good point about welcoming outsiders though and encouraging them to post. Maybe we should have a ''dont take the piss'' standards of 20 posts pre- piss taking?

:) think Ive lost the plot! back to the DIY..

bottleneck, Jun 20, 2004
  15. analoguekid

rewster

;) Bottleneck,

Don't worry about your secret polishing habit and DIY (ooerr), we all do it at one level or another here, and that's the point. If we all remember how rareified the atmosphere we create really is, it would be good to let others open the door and let in a breeze occasionally.

That's enough, I need coffee or a fag or something, starting to write like Barbara Cartland (pre mortem) though I'd never be seen in a pink frock (unless it had a profound positive effect on my soundstage)

rewster, Jun 20, 2004
  16. analoguekid

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Rewtser you sound like someone that has a cheap hifi that wishes he had more, what system do you have?

garyi, Jun 20, 2004
  17. analoguekid

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

:duck:

A trifle Harsh Garyi :eek:

wadia-miester, Jun 20, 2004
  18. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

:D :D :D :D :D

Who was it said we wern't eliteist on this forum?

19. analoguekid

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Spoken like a man with a small knob.:D

lAmBoY, Jun 20, 2004
  20. analoguekid

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I have a very small knob, yardy yardy yar, I asked a simple question, he is comparing a reasonably good forum such as this to HFC.

I am thinking Richers.

garyi, Jun 20, 2004
Ask a Question