Hi-Fi Stores..

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by aedemirci, Oct 13, 2008.

1. aedemirci

aedemirci

Hello to all,

I am planning a visit to the U.S. soon and am planning to buy a receiver. However there is a problem. Turkey uses 220W voltage.

Do you know any hi-fi stores in Miami, FL or Washington DC that sells receivers working with 220W ?? I heard of some stores but according to my colleagues there are some trust issues as there is a chance to be ripped off..

Best..

aedemirci, Oct 13, 2008
  2. aedemirci

D Louth 77

The answer is NO. US retail law would be strict on this. However all you need is a voltage converter. One that steps down 220 to 110. However while some kit will be happy with this, they may not sound as good as on their native voltage/country. Same goes for UK/EEc kit used in the States.

I would not run any Valve gear this way, especially power amps or intergrated amps, way to risky. Any stuff made for 200/220 volts can cause reliability problems used in the UK as well. Always make sure it is a real 240 volt power transformers. Cheap valve kit from the far east is not always to this spec.

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Oct 14, 2008
  3. aedemirci

lbr monkey boy

Your going to have issues with frequency (60Hz in the States vs 50Hz in Turkey) as well as voltage.

lbr, Oct 14, 2008
  4. aedemirci

spica

if you PM "Skaloumbakas" whom i believe lives in Greece, perhaps he may have some contact's stateside with info. :)
    Q: but what's the deal on a U.S receiver....the 'so Special' ?

spica, Oct 14, 2008
  5. aedemirci

aedemirci

Thank you all for the replies. The problem is that we pay three times more in Turkey for the receivers. that's the reason why I am looking for somewhere in the U.S..

aedemirci, Oct 14, 2008
Ask a Question