Hi-Fi test cds/sacds

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JackOTrades, Jul 14, 2004.

1. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

hello everyone,

got curious of whether any of you use and recommend any particular hifi testing cd... i know there are several around, but any of them in particular that you find more effective?

similarly, if there are particular tracks that have done the job, or showed something interesting in your systems, it would be really interesting to know about them (i remember not long ago reading about a song - cat stevens i believe - where there he taps the guitar or something, that was used to show the detail of a system).

to start it off - Album: "Blood", Artist: This Mortal Coil,
    Track 7 - "Nature's Way": has, right at the beginning, a woman whispering a sentence... only recently I noticed that she said something, and with my latest speakers, I can actually understand her clearly...

Ok, curious to hear your experiences.

Cheers,
    Jack

JackOTrades, Jul 14, 2004
  2. JackOTrades

lbr monkey boy

The latest issue of Hi-Fi+ has some comments in it regarding Layla from Eric Clapton's Unplugged album:

"...I usually listen to the track "Layla" because I like it and there are all sorts of inner details that appear or disappear depending on the system being used. In particular, I find it a useful track to demonstrate the effects of sub-woofers and super-tweeters. Details like the piano (which effectively plays in a different time signature at certain key points in the chorus) highlight a system's timing ability.

'Layla' has a distint ChunkaChunkaChunk [sic!!] sort of rhythmic swing, and needs to sound earthy and solid. But when you listen, home in on the piano - notice how audible it is and whether you can tell what it's doing at all times. Also notice how apparent the audience is; not just when someone whistles or shouts "Whoaa!", but whether there's a constant background of audience noise. And listen to the harmonies of the backing singers - can you hear the pitches of the notes clearly."

Regardless of all that guff, it's a great CD.... ;)

lbr, Jul 14, 2004
  3. JackOTrades

julian2002 Muper Soderator

a fire alarm on the massive attack track heat mizer on protection (iirc) just before the piano comes in.

the waves on madonas swim - forget the album.

propellerheads - on her majestys sectret service from desc and drums and rock and roll for fast deep bass.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 14, 2004
  4. JackOTrades

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Having done some bake-offs/listening tests lately...

Eels - Flyswatter, Mr E's Beautiful Blues - great tracks for bass definition and tightness, as well as general ability to resolve complex and dirty mixes.

Eleanor McEvoy - I've got you to see me through - surprising bass depth and weight from this track, in conjunction with a very clearly recorded vocal. Good for presence.

Train - Homesick, Swaying - Channel separation and central image location.

I-S, Jul 14, 2004
  5. JackOTrades

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

dicovered the sting track a thousand years (brand new day cd ) at work the other week, it starts off with some realy low stuff before the 'real' music starts ,enough for the subsonic protection to kick in on some of our amps when we cranked it up a bit

themadhippy, Jul 14, 2004
  6. JackOTrades

Saab

Damien Rice '0'-close miced and multi layered-soundstage

Alison Krauss and Union Station-New Favourite-any sibiliance?

Nick Drake -Pink Moon-resolution,can you hear him sliding the frets?

Kings Of Leon-how tight is the base?

Metallica-Sandman-how loud can you go and still keep it real?

Saab, Jul 14, 2004
  7. JackOTrades

Rory satisfied

both seconded. also listen for some obscenely deep rumbles on the Madonna track

on the OHMSS tip, have a listen to the David Arnold 'Shaken not Stirred' 007 tribute album. The various Bond film tunes covered by outstanding artists for example Pulp, Natacha Atlas, Propellerheads etc

Rory, Jul 14, 2004
  8. JackOTrades

sideshowbob Trisha

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I just play music I like, as wide a selection as possible, and if I like the way it sounds that's all I'm bothered with.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 15, 2004
  9. JackOTrades

Kelly Unregistered User

Jacintha - Danny boy - vocals only, wonderful air and naturalness to her voice

Apocalyptica - Nothing Else Matters - 4 cellos playing Metallica, nuff said

Portishead - Roads (live from NYC) - Ambient, haunting, scary

Cowboy Junkies - anything from the llamas CD - closemiked acoustic set, soundstage, instrument seperation and location

And this is the stuff I love to listen to everyday. :D

Kelly, Jul 15, 2004
  10. JackOTrades

julian2002 Muper Soderator

ian,
    yes but after an upgrade certain things have stuck out on these tracks and made an impression during normal listening.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 15, 2004
  11. JackOTrades

technobear Ursine Audiophile

That would be 'Ray Of Light' then :)

Second the Propellerheads track. Didn't know it was on Decks and Drums... I'll have to look out for that one.

Here are some others I use...

Satriani/Johnson/Vai - G3 Live - Zap

Dire Straits - Love Over Gold - Private Investigations

Massive Attack - Mezzanine - Teardrop (deep deep bass)

Leftfield - Leftism (all of it)

Prodigy - Fat Of The Land - Narayan

Sinead O'Connor - I Do Not Want... - Feel So Different
    Sinead O'Connor - I Do Not Want... - The Last Day Of Our Acquaintance

Sisters Of Mercy - Floodland - Flood II

technobear, Jul 15, 2004
  12. JackOTrades

michaelab desafinado

Seconded - Chris, get the David Arnold 'Shaken not Stirred' 007 tribute album as mentioned by Rory above. It has, AFAIK, the longest and baddest version of the OHMSS Propellerheads track and the rest of the album is pretty awesome too.

A few of mine (in addition to the above):

Nitin Sawhney - "Nadia" from Beyond Skin

Tracy Chapman - the whole first album but particularly "Behind the Wall".

...I have a few more but can't think of them at the moment. I do find it's easy to get obsessed about your favourite test tracks and then all you end up listening to is those same 5 or 6 tracks, especially if you're making frequent changes or tweaks to your system. That way lies madness IMO and you'll soon only be listening to your system instead of the music.

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 15, 2004
  13. JackOTrades

juboy

Nine Inch Nails 'Kinda I Want To' (from Pretty Hate Machine) - should sound so intense and disorientating that it's hard to listen to. If it just sort of passes you by then something's wrong with your system.

Lene Marlin 'Sitting Down Here' - quite the opposite, it should sound so light, clear and sensual that you want to listen to it for days on end.

I agree somewhat with Micheal's comment. If you constantly seek out a few fantastic sounding tracks and listen to them over and over it can make other albums sound 'bad' in comparison and put you off listening to great music that just doesn't happen to be recorded/produced immaculately.

juboy, Jul 15, 2004
  14. JackOTrades

merlin

I take the worst produced albums I own with the best music (early Chilli Peppers, Bran Van, and others). If I enjoy the music more, then it's an upgrade. Anything else is totally irrelevent unless willy waving is the order of the day and you want to impress your mates IMO

merlin, Jul 15, 2004
  15. JackOTrades

The Devil IHTFP

If your system can play "Benedictus" on the Naxos Mozart Requiem without any trace of distortion on the female vocals, at realistic volume, then it's quite good.

Praying I never hear 'Nadia' again! Stunt-bass a go-go.

The Devil, Jul 15, 2004
  16. JackOTrades

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

On Dark Side of the Moon there is an intro with a load of clocks striking the hour. It's pretty good at testing the resolution and timbral accuracy of the mid through treble range of a system.

Also, on "So" by Peter Gabriel there are several tracks that vary from very thin to quite bass heavy. If a system is bass heavy or over bright it will make one or more of the tracks severely unbalanced tonaly. The bass on a couple of tracks is also good for judging a systems bass response/extension/accuracy.

GTM

GTM, Jul 15, 2004
  17. JackOTrades

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Interesting. I'll try that one when I get home :)

technobear, Jul 15, 2004
  18. JackOTrades

Will The Lucky One

For no particular reason, other than the fact that I happen to like them and thus know them well, I tend to use some of the following as 'test' tracks:

Dido - Life for rent
    Feeder - Yesterday went too soon
    Madonna - The power of goodbye
    Dire Straits - Money for nothing, sultans of swing, down to the waterline
    Manic street preachers - From despair to where
    N.E.R.D - Things are getting better (I like the drums at the start on this)
    Oasis - Supersonic & Acquiese (also use 'Whats the story?' to see how certain equipment can make a really crap recording sound....usually still crap but thats the production of the CD :()
    Ramones - Garden of serenity
    Queen - Headlong
    Propellerheads - Spybreak
    RHCP - Venice Queen, Soul to squeeze
    Rob D - Furious Angels
    Travis - Love will come through
    Turin Brakes - Underdog, Emergency 72
    AC-DC - Live album
    U2 - Hold Me thrill me, kiss me, kill me and One
    The Pixies - Gigantic (Live), Planet of sound, letter to memphis

Theres not necessarily anything special in some of the tracks that I am listening for, I just happen to like them and know how they sound on my own system. The above doesn't really represent my taste in music either, theres very little techno, D&B or hip hop there, but alot of its not really delicate enough to show up other than bass performance to be fair :D

Will, Jul 15, 2004
  19. JackOTrades

blakeaudio

similarly great to test for saturation - on the soundtrack to natural born killers, the NIN track "burn" as it builds toward the end, on lesser systems it just sounds like noise on good systems you can hear each distinct strand.

on the same album there's also cowboy junkies, and leonard cohen, which are also great tracks recorderd well, that are really highlighted by a good system.
    frankly it's just one of the best soundtrack albums ever.

also mc 900 ft jesus - one step ahead of the spiders.
    the sound of the rain and thunder at the begining of the first track, and just the whole album that is just some of the best tripped out sort of jazz / funk... and considering, it is just a nicely produced album.

blakeaudio, Jul 15, 2004
  20. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

Very interesting some of the choice of tracks here!
    I also use things like Massive Attack and Propellerheads (for the bass) often, but tend to use a few classical tracks as well. For example, I use a cd from the "Strad" magazine, called "Violins of Cremona" which is, imho, very well recorded. I use it to see if the system resolves the piano and brings it enough to the fore, making it sound natural but not too present.

Another cd I use is a percussion cd by Hassam Ramzy called "Sabla Tolo". Absolutely amazing stuff. And, almost forgot, the soundtrack for "Tous les matins du monde", where you can hear Jordi Savall's fingers moving.

Of course, generally, I hear what I enjoy, as those are the things i am used to know how they sound... Tom Waits "The Black Rider" is another really good sounding cd, on my system.

Surprised you mentioned Prodigy. I have the "Fat of the Land" cd and at least on my system the highs are really agressive and the recording sounds really rough and flat... One I would use as a rough recording as mentioned before... Same goes, unfortunately, to most 80s indie stuff, including my beloved Pixies... :(

So none of you lot uses any of these commercially available hifi tuning and testing cds?

Cheers!
    :beer:
    Jack

JackOTrades, Jul 15, 2004
Ask a Question