Hi

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Matt@Nearfield, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Matt@Nearfield

Matt@Nearfield

good evening gentlemen.. and ladies.

A short note to say hi, a nice looking forum you guys have worked up here.

I am an in house hifi newbie, and am looking at building a simple system around some active monitors (Dyne BM6A or the ATCs - bank manager dependent), and would love some pointers on cd/preamp integrated's to shortlist for demo.

So far I have the oh-so-obvious Quad 99 CDP, some of the older Resolution Audio bits, but what else is there. I'm happy (would prefer actually) to have 2nd hand, budget of around £1k.

Please help lads, in the car audio world I'm fairly usefull (long standing hobby of 12 years), but completely ignorant of home audio.

N.B. When I say car audio please don't catagorise me as a Max Flower bass head hooligan, the current system, if you are interested, is a high quality phillips transport, Type K BB Dac, BB volume ic (PGA2310)), some extremely nice solid state amps, custom horn loaded compression drivers, per Skaaning custom made C-Quence Flex midbass units) blah de blah :)

Please help lads :)

Matt@Nearfield, Sep 1, 2004
  2. Matt@Nearfield

Tenson Moderator

I find the Ming Da MC-7R valve pre-amp works extremely well with my active PMC AML1's. It would probably go well with the active Dyns or ATC's. You can take a look at www.cattylink.com go to the English products menu etc..

Ming Da are the same make as 'Icon Audio' but have the real make printed on the lable ;)

Tenson, Sep 2, 2004
  3. Matt@Nearfield

analoguekid Planet Rush

You sounds like WM, a few years ago. :D

High Matt, ATC pre's are pretty good with their active speakers (the smaller ones) You might like to also consider one of the Shanling CDp's can't remeber which one, has built in volume and choice between solid state and valve output. You could add a better pre ass funds permit.

analoguekid, Sep 2, 2004
  4. Matt@Nearfield

Tenson Moderator

What a good suggestion ;)

You are thinking of either the CD-T100 (Redbook CD) or the CD-T200 (CD/SACD)

Tenson, Sep 2, 2004
  5. Matt@Nearfield

analoguekid Planet Rush

That's the chappies. Thanks to the Oracle :)

Tenson have you been looking at yer hifi mags again?, and it not even being the weekend yet, Tsk Tsk

analoguekid, Sep 2, 2004
  6. Matt@Nearfield

Philip King Enlightened User

I'd say get a CDP with a volume control and then plug it straight into a power amp. The results will be a more dynamic sound especially with active speakers, with less boxes in the way.

Philip King, Sep 2, 2004
  7. Matt@Nearfield

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I recently had some active 20's (trade ins) , definately needed a sub to help the lower frequencies. Use a spare W7 you have left over from the car system, that'll bring the atc up to scratch
    Philip is also right, direct drive from a cdp will enhance the dynamics and directness.
    Shandling, for sure have a listen at home, but I'll pass

wadia-miester, Sep 2, 2004
  8. Matt@Nearfield

Matt F

Just had a look at that Shanling - what a stunning looking bit of kit:

[​IMG]

And Vickers are doing them on 24 months IFC!

But I've already made the shelf for the somewhat smaller Quad 99.

What's your honest opinion of the Shanling Tony?

Matt.

Matt F, Sep 2, 2004
  9. Matt@Nearfield

analoguekid Planet Rush

Matt Having heard it through a pathos logos I can say it was very nice smooth and detialed, compares well with players in it's price range, maybe even better than some, i preffered it through solid state outputs as was a little punchier, I would demo with the quad if I were you, you could always make another shelf.

analoguekid, Sep 2, 2004
  10. Matt@Nearfield

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Shandling, don't like them at all (even when the modded, not just the clocks and opamps either), the 200 is better, but really needs a decent pre-amp to bring it out, if your after sound with a little life, then maybe these arn't for you, might look rather special, however I buy kit for the sound, not for making the cat scared when it trips in 1 in the morning after a nite on the tiles.
    AS with anything a demo at home is required if your interested, alan beeb has just bought oner of these (200) and is quite happy I believe, though I believe he did post some thing about a dac to added later on ???

wadia-miester, Sep 2, 2004
  11. Matt@Nearfield

analoguekid Planet Rush

Tone I agree with you especially about them needing pre, i suggested buying cdp just now and adding pre later as funds permit, but a good buy none the less at 1300 pounds if imported, thread moved by Matt.

Ps Sorry for not getting back to you re PS I won't be needing your services at this moment, managed to get a cheap 24v model £25(used for running CCTV cameras and the like), this will have to do me for the time being as a lot of Birthdays this month inc my 9 year old daughter, I may get you to mod whole thing early next year Tone, new caps new volume pot and new ps, thanks for the help

Paul

analoguekid, Sep 2, 2004
  12. Matt@Nearfield

Robbo

Bump!

Matt, if you are looking, perhaps we can continue the discussion now that the garbage has been split off from this thread.

Robbo, Sep 6, 2004
  13. Matt@Nearfield

analoguekid Planet Rush

Yes Matt please join in as you can see you were getting some pretty good advice, and then along comes Bub, sorry for helping Hijack yer thread, please give us another chance

Paul

analoguekid, Sep 6, 2004
Ask a Question