HiFi mags soooo slooooow

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Sep 23, 2003.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

The October editions of both Stereophile and HiFi News both have news items on what was assumed to be the demise of Tag and that they were doing a strategic review to consider future options.

Hmm...not bad, it's only at least a month since the strategic review has all been done and dusted and Tag are very much up and running again, focussing on AV gear :rolleyes:

Doesn't anyone proof read those news sections? Surely the writer of the Tag articles must have known the more up to date situation and it must be possible to change news articles like that upto a week or so before publication, even in a monthly magazine :confused:

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 23, 2003
  2. michaelab

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I think that the magazines have become less important, particularly with regard to news.

I had a news release in this issue of Hi-Fi News. The amount of interest generated (reflected by phone calls or visits to my web-site) was minimal compared to my Audiogon/eBay campaign or items on online publications such as enjoythemusic.com.

As for another company with its motor racing image and big marketing bucks pulling out of the high end audio market, what a terrible shame. :rolleyes:

7_V, Sep 23, 2003
  3. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Was there more than one? Personally I think it was Tag's best move to stick to high end AV gear.

Saw your little mention in Hifi News :)

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 23, 2003
  4. michaelab

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I suspect that they won't maintain high end standards if they're just doing AV. They're more likely to go the big screen/high tech route.

We were next door to the Linn AV room at the Frankfurt High End Show. On the last day the man in charge of their room came in and sat down for 20 minutes. As he left he said "I just had to listen to some music".

Re. the magazines, next up we have a review in Hi-Fi+ by Paul Messenger. I'm looking forward to it although naturally a bit nervous. :eek:

7_V, Sep 23, 2003
  5. michaelab

Herman

Michael,

glossies with lots of pictures have a long "lead time". Production time between writers handing in definitive copy and the mag's appearance in the stores or your mailbox can be two months.

When the medium is related to a particular industry (such as hifi in this case) institutional sloth is reinforced by the journo's expectation that the p.r. guys will call six months ahead whenever there's a new product inthe pipeline.

Add the imperative that you'll never utter one negative word about any item, and you get a job that's heaven for some, cynical hell to others.

Herman

Herman, Sep 23, 2003
  6. michaelab

Mark67

Could be a case of europe laging behind the UK, again :kneel: .

Mark67, Sep 24, 2003
  7. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

You've lost me there Mark :confused:

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 24, 2003
Ask a Question