Hifi PC's?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tim F, May 21, 2004.

1. Tim F

Tim F

Hi All,

In a month or so I'm going to set up a company with a friend to sell computers (currently nothing to do with hifi). However I've always been interested in the audio\video side and would like to know your thoughts.

It's common place amongst the CRT projector fans (read up if you don't get it) to use a PC instead of an expensive line doubler \quadrupler. Now this is all very well but I've still not come across a computer based system that has good enough sound to go with the video.

Has anyone looked into this area? If there's any sound card out there that matches the video quality within a reasonable price I'd be interested to hear about it. Please note I make music and I'm aware of Digidesign etc. I'm not looking for a £4000 solution!

Cheers, Tim

Tim F, May 21, 2004
  2. Tim F

Tenson Moderator

Try Edirol

On my DA2496 surround for DVDs comes out of separate busses so it is easy to do surround from it although it is not called a 'surround card'.

In terms of sound quality it is about even with a £500 CD player.

Also M-audio? The Audiophile perhaps?

I have to say though I never really found the Audigy 2 sound to be that bad.

Tenson, May 21, 2004
  3. Tim F

PBirkett VTEC Addict

It probably isnt. But the M-Audiophile or Terratec EWX / DMX will sound better, and for not that much more money. Also you get proper RCA outs on the Audiophile / EWX.

I use and recommend the EWX.

PBirkett, May 22, 2004
  4. Tim F

dominicT former member

I recommend you call DV Acton and ask for Nathan as he knows his soundcards. Having said that I use a soundscape card that is used a lot in broadcasting and can be had for your budget without breakout box. The new EMU soundcards are PC only and have the same converters as the Digidesign stuff and is also within budget. Dominic

dominicT, May 24, 2004
  5. Tim F

Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock, May 24, 2004
  6. Tim F

BlueMax

Tim
    Good luck with your new business venture.

PC Audio has the potential to challenge/compliment conventional hifi but right now it is 'hum-noise audio'. None of the off the shelf PCs are suitable for hifi without upgrading. There are number of after-market components available.

There is a niche market here and if you can put together a dedicated hifi server and market it effectively you will have a winner.
    :)

BlueMax, May 25, 2004
  7. Tim F

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I think it will be difficult, certainly with an internal soundcard to get much better than the setup I demonstrated on the mini bakeoff, and you can conclude for yourself how that sounded. That's just so you know what sort of audio level is achieveable.

Beyond that, simply sticking to the established, pro computer audio marques, like Terratec and Midiman (M-audio) is your best bet for sound quality. Sound quality is not creative's priority, and so I would personally avoid their cards.

I-S, May 25, 2004
  8. Tim F

Tom

I would recommend M-Audio kit whole-heartedly. I use an M-Audio Delta 44 in my PC-based home recording setup, and in both recording and playback it produces clear, detailed neutral sound. Definitely worth considering.

Hope that's helpful,

Tom

Tom, May 25, 2004
Ask a Question