hifi rack for tube gear

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by David Glasspool, Jan 20, 2008.

1. David Glasspool

David Glasspool

I have seen a number of photos for valve gear and much of it is not on a 'proper' hifi rack. Is this because they do not need it whereas SS designs do or some other reason? What do you tube guys think? Thanks

David Glasspool, Jan 20, 2008
  2. David Glasspool

Andy 831

David

I do actually use my valve amps on a quadraspire rack, but only because I happen to have one.

If I am messing around they often are placed directly onto the floor as it is more convenient for plugging and unplugging kit.....to be honest my amps are just not fussy where you put them they still sound good to my ears.

Andy 831, Jan 20, 2008
  3. David Glasspool

la toilette Downright stupid

Same here. My stuff is on a rack now for ease of placement, but previously it's been in a cupboard and on shelves, never heard any difference. Some racks do look nice though and can make your gear look nice too, which is probably why most people buy them :).

la toilette, Jan 20, 2008
  4. David Glasspool

rollo

Never could understand the rack thing. Why on earth would you wanna put your components within each others magnetic field is self defeating. They look pretty, cost a lot. The biggest selling feature appears to be little space required.
    For me its target speaker stands with a wood box screwed to stand filled with sand and a maple plinth resting on the sand. All components are at least three feet away from each other. No hums,buzz or the like. The results of this for me has been more info coming through the system. If you have the room try separating your components and give a listen. Affective IMO.

rollo

rollo, Jan 20, 2008
  5. David Glasspool

electricbear

St Louis, Missouri. USA. Originally from Morayshir
    When I had some VTL monoblocks I heard a huge difference when they were placed on an amp stand. The bass got tighter and there was better definition. I recently swapped out my main equipment rack for a Billybags rack and again heard better focus. I firmly believe that the rack can make a significant difference to some systems.

electricbear, Jan 25, 2008
Ask a Question