HiFi Retailers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by kmac, Jul 13, 2007.

1. kmac

kmac

What's happening with HiFi retailers - are they selling so much stuff they can pick and choose customers?

I have been trying to home audition a couple of hybrid Cd players ( Easter Electric Minimax and Unison Research Unico)

Two dealers I contacted said they would call me back and havn't yet.

One dealer hasn't even replied to my query (no answer to phone so sent them an email)

I'm beginning to fell it's quite tough trying to spend a few bob in this sector.

Having to resport to someone on the forum agreeing to contact the distributor for me.

kmac, Jul 13, 2007
  2. kmac

AlexTaylor

Don't bother and audition a creek classic instead...

AlexTaylor, Jul 13, 2007
  3. kmac

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

kmac - worth trying are the Lector CDP's from the emporium. I've been impressed when I've heard them, right up my street.

nb - I've emailed my friend (UKD is a friend of his!), so will hopefully get back to you soon.

If you get p.o'd try here :[​IMG]

bottleneck, Jul 13, 2007
  4. kmac

Dick Bowman

HiFi dealers have had an attitude problem for as long as I can remember.

Dick Bowman, Jul 13, 2007
  5. kmac

dehavillandrfc Enrico and The Fermions

Depends on the dealer in my experience. In all my dealings with Grahams over many years the staff there have been helpful, polite and knowledgeable, and this despite the measly sums I have spent with them. I would agree though that there are many hifi retailers who are frankly just up themselves. What I don't understand is how they have managed to stay in business.

dehavillandrfc, Jul 13, 2007
  6. kmac

AlexTaylor

Indeed. I went to an event to show off the new dCS Scarlatti last night at the Audioworks in Cheadle. The player was more money than my entire system and the owner knew full well that I, nor anyone else there, were able to lay funds on that sort of money. Despite this I was, as was everyone else, made to feel very welcome and involved (as well as being provided with a nice glass or two of champagne...) and I had a great evening listening to some good tunes.

I've also had some right cack experiences at other dealers who just don't seem interested at all. Not going to name and shame, just speak for the good.

AlexTaylor, Jul 13, 2007
  7. kmac

Gulliver

I've visited two reputable dealers in London, on the advice of fellow forum users here and the experience has been a positive one.

Although I didn't go back to either of them after auditioning (I was trying it out for someone else who has gone their own way since).

The thing is I feel a little like I owe them something and I'd defiitely go back if I was looking to update.

So I might not buy today, but I remember the positives and I want to give them my business in the future. Especially as they're both Independent shops.

Gulliver, Jul 13, 2007
  8. kmac

kmac

Should have taken your advice - the Unison Research Unico CD (Retail £1495) just didn't do it for me.

Awaiting the Eastern Electric Minimax today.

Anyone here have a Lector CDP? Would like to know their thoughts as I've heard they can sound as close to vinyl as it gets (per Lector dealer of course so to be taken with a large spoonful of salt)

kmac, Aug 1, 2007
  9. kmac

tomh Just popped over from PFM

Don't suppose you'd name names?

FYI: I've always found the cornflake shop in London very helpful. Though I haven't been there in 2-3 years now.

--
    tom

tomh, Aug 1, 2007
  10. kmac

dehavillandrfc Enrico and The Fermions

Yes, they are good as are Grahams my dealer now for about 10 years.

dehavillandrfc, Aug 2, 2007
  11. kmac

Gulliver

No problem.

I visited Walrus on New Quebec St, close to Marble Arch, and Oranges and Lemons, near Battersea Rise.

A very positive experience with both!

Gulliver, Aug 2, 2007
  12. kmac

thrudge

I've always had fantastic service and support from everyone at Definitive Audio.

thrudge, Aug 2, 2007
  13. kmac

zygote23

Let me know what you think of the Mingymax if and when you get a hold of it. I have one here with around 50hours on it max. I just seem to be playing vinyl these days and in fact have packed up the cd's for storage as I go the squeezebox route!

So I may just be able to be talked into letling the mingymax;) go.

zygote23, Aug 2, 2007
  14. kmac

kmac

re Mingymax - good but no cigar
    See my brief review in the reviews section
    Nice for the price I think, beats Unico at almost twice the price

Surpriseingly my Cyrus Cd8x (plus PSX-R) sounded warmer with more weight - could be the little wooden, crystal containing discs it sits on:JPS: (no blue led though)

kmac, Aug 2, 2007
  15. kmac

johnhunt recidivist

i expect retailer have a hard job weeding out the fantacists/brochure collectors/demo heads from the serious customer who actauallly intends to buy something. if you want good service from a dealer it's best to either just buy something or at least create a rapport.

johnhunt, Aug 3, 2007
  16. kmac

kmac

Popped into UKD and picked up a Unico Cd - thanks for your help with this.

Sadly its going back though - too mushy, like peas

kmac, Aug 3, 2007
  17. kmac

Arrowhead

This ring any bells?

Door opens. In he walks. You vaguely recognise the face, but can't put a name to it.

" Hello, welcome to the Adult Toy Shop. May I be of any assistance." I beam.

"Hi, yes. If we can tie up a couple of loose ends, I'm ready to order the CD player."

By this time I'm desperately searching the memory banks. What CD player? Is this where short term memory loss starts?

" You must remember, I had a home dem of the McCrappy CDX 265876 Mk78 Improved SE a while ago. 2002 as I recall. It was quite a long home dem, due to the fact I went on holiday while I still had the player. I'm really sorry about that, but it was still in guarantee.
    Anyway, I finally returned the player, and remember you went a funny colour when I said itwas very good, but would have to GO AWAY AND THINK ABOUT IT for a while.

Well, I'm nearly ready now. I just need to take it home again for a couple of weeks to check, coz I've got different curtains and a new cat."

" THEY DON'T BLOODY MAKE IT ANY MORE!!" I exclaimed. " It's the Mk287 Improved SE now."

"Oh, how does it compare to the Mk78?

I'm not sure now.

I'll have to GO AWAY AND THINK ABOUT IT.

Can I have another home dem?" :JOEL:

Graham.
    The Happy Acres rest home for disturbed, ageing, ex McCrappy dealers.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2007
    Arrowhead, Aug 3, 2007
  18. kmac

johnhunt recidivist

i expect retailers have a hard job weeding out the fantasists/brochure collectors/demo heads from the serious customers, who actauallly intends to buy something. if you want good service from a dealer it's best to either just buy something or at least create a rapport

johnhunt, Aug 3, 2007
  19. kmac

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

i was the ideal customer today.

I walked into Moorgate Acoustics in Sheffield and said, "can you order me a Rega TT-psu please?"

"Certainly, would you like that in black or silver?"

"Silver please",says I.

"Would you like to leave a deposit?"

"No i'll pay for it in full if that's ok".

Paid, left my contact details and left.

next week i shall go back and demo something i have no intention of buying just to even things up.:)

sq225917, Aug 3, 2007
  20. kmac

kmac

Yeah they have to be able to take the rough with the smooth.....:)

like cab drivers from Heathrow...they all want a fare to central London. But some people inevitably want to go somewhere closer, say Harrow and they get all upitty.

kmac, Aug 4, 2007
Ask a Question