HiFi Show for forum members to show off their kit.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by HiFiWigWam, Nov 18, 2008.

1. HiFiWigWam

dudywoxer Regaholic

does this mean I will have to shower, shave and things?
    ________
    WASHINGTON DISPENSARIES

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Feb 21, 2009
  2. HiFiWigWam

Rocket 88

I think the whole idea is great and it would be nicetomeet some fellow enthusiasts as well aslisten to some tasty kit. I own a long wheel base Toyota Hiace van and come from Bracknell and I am making me, the driver, and the van available to anyone who lives nearby for the day for the price of the diesel..

Rocket 88, Feb 22, 2009
  3. HiFiWigWam

hifinutt

i think a few banned members will be there ,maybe there can be some resolution.

I am looking forward to it. many thanks to all those who have lugged their precious kit there.

hifinutt, Feb 28, 2009
  4. HiFiWigWam

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I will be there. I will not be bring my main system (couldn't get it all in the car). I will be bringing a bedroom system made up of various bits & bobs I having lying around the house. Plus it can fit in the car. Also it is not too heavy (or fragile) to carry.

Feel free to pop in and say hello.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Feb 28, 2009
  5. HiFiWigWam

hifinutt

thankyou to all who lugged their precious kit. it was a fantastic show and great to meet various people from different forums, i never got round all the kit . listening to some lovely 35 year old ferrograph speakers, sweet proac isc on the end of a cambridge audio azur. some of the best kit was the more modest costing .

hifinutt, Mar 2, 2009
  6. HiFiWigWam

nando nando

question? how many of you are willing to re-root your precious and beloved stereo system and transport it to A and then to B at their own risks and cost? who will finace this? and insure personal cost of damage? like to know also why if the rooms are not "as they ussually not" good for sounding what will be the point?
    regards nando.

nando, Mar 2, 2009
  7. HiFiWigWam

dudywoxer Regaholic

40 odd of us did, as far as I know with very few problems, we the forums users financed the transport costs, Chester Group financed the hotel, Most of the rooms were fine, odd problems at the very back or sides, but if you could get to the seats the systems were very good sounding.

What was the point, 40 plus good sounding systems, all assembled with care and thought, by there owners, playing real music, not hi fi show plinky plonk tat. Systems assembles by enthusiasts, for enthusiast, all out to enjoy a day with absolutley no commercial pressure at all.

What's the point, put simply Nando, have you ever seen 300 odd kids in a sweet shop?
    ________
    Marijuana seed

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Mar 2, 2009
  8. HiFiWigWam

Samantha

The point is simple - it is our hobby and we don't get to share this enthusiasm with that many. Yesterday will be an event in our minds for some time having enjoyed a brill day with like minded enthusiasts, listing to some great kit (which despite the problems setting up in unfamiliar rooms etc still sounded great) and hearing lots of new music to add to the collection later.

The point was no one was there trying to sell their kit.

No-one was there trying to be top-dog.

Everyone there pitched in and helped out and it was a fantastic atmosphere.

I am sure everyone there considers it was a wonderful sucess and anyone that is into this hobby, if at all possible, should try to be at the next one. Whether as an exhibitor or a visitor - it is well worth supporting. Left to the hi-fi trade, I don't see much place left for the traditional show. But this event, different altogether.

The 300 odd kids in a sweet shop - spot on Dudy! ;)
    Ta for fetching your kit too - very nice!

Samantha, Mar 2, 2009
  9. HiFiWigWam

Dr Rock

Well said Samantha/Dudywoxer! I had a fantastic day: didn't get out of my room all day as there was a constant stream of peeps wanting to hear all sorts of music on my system. I was fortunate in the room I had, but then the Apogees really appreciated having room to breathe :cool: My feet were tapping all day and I loved the whole day.
    The whole atmosphere and execution of the event was superb and I'll bet there'll be another one sometime/somewhere. Bring it on!

Dr Rock, Mar 2, 2009
  10. HiFiWigWam

mr cat Member of the month

exactly...and a hifi dealer should respect that... :)

mr cat, Mar 2, 2009
  11. HiFiWigWam

Dev Moderator

Any pics anyone?

Dev, Mar 3, 2009
  12. HiFiWigWam

mr cat Member of the month

go onto the 'wam site and there's loads... :)

mr cat, Mar 3, 2009
  13. HiFiWigWam

Dev Moderator

14. HiFiWigWam

nando nando

point taken, regards
    nando.

nando, Mar 3, 2009
  15. HiFiWigWam

Papa Lazarou

Twas a fantastic show. Anyone that missed it ought to strongly consider attending if they decide to do this again.

Papa Lazarou, Mar 3, 2009
  16. HiFiWigWam

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Well said that man!

SCIDB

SCIDB, Mar 3, 2009
  17. HiFiWigWam

lbr monkey boy

I thought it was a great event. Unfortunately too short for me as i had to hit the road well before i was ready. Papa - i thought your system was magic, thanks for sharing :)

lbr, Mar 3, 2009
  18. HiFiWigWam

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I very much enjoyed the show. I had a room on the first floor with some of my hifi collection.

I had a Townshend Elite Rock with Excalibaur arm & an A&R moving coil cartridge. I used mainly a finestra pre as a phono stage.

I had a cheap Pioneer DVD player into a Audio Synthesis dax Decade for cd duties.

I used a old Marantz PM4 amplifier (set to class A) driving a pair of Living Voice OBXs.

Plus plenty of music.

It was an experience that I was glad I did. The hotel room was small but ok. The sound was very in it with the system. I didn't go to town with setup, I just plonked it down and ran with it.

It was good to show off the various bits of kit to interested people. People came, saw, heard, talk about the hifi & music. It was good to put faces to names and to meet many people again from the forums.

It was a very relaxed day which nearly started in disaster. I had a blow out on the way down to the show on the M1. I had to limp to a nearby service station, upload the car, get out the spare, change the tyre, repack the car. All fun and games!

The venue was quite nice, overall. A good stream of people. came through the doors. I didn't get to see (& hear) too many of the rooms due to being stuck in mine.

As pointed out, there was no hard sell from the rooms and there were many good sounding rooms.

I understand that enough people came through the days to make it worthwhile for the organisers.

I'll be up for it next year.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Mar 3, 2009
  19. HiFiWigWam

nando nando

i have seen more kids like us in a sweet shop, shame that most shows now do not offer sweets,
    nando

nando, Mar 3, 2009
  20. HiFiWigWam

Graffoeman

I thought it was a great day and will definitely go to the next one, if there is one. It was the first time I'd had a chance to listen to such a well chosen bunch of kit - synergy rules! The Living Voice and Open Baffle speakers, particularly, both blew me away.:D And I'd echo LBR's view of Papa L's system - on the day it was, along with Steve's OB's, a big highlight for me. Many thanks to all who took the time and trouble to give me a day to remember!:cool:

Graffoeman, Mar 3, 2009
Ask a Question