HIFI+ slates web forums

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Saab, May 20, 2004.

1. Saab

Saab

They have a piece about bias in journalism.At the end they really lay into forum users and their "opinions",they believe that manufacturesr should take web hosters to court unless they curb the "wild" thoughts/opinions of the forum users.

This isn't new,in as much as you can't go to an auto bbs and slag a dealer off,you can say you have had bad service and why,but not slate them publicly.This is well know.

But opinions? the car world is full of flamers that travel the different own brand forums having a laugh by winding up the locals,so why should HIFI be any different?

I sold my CDM1ses because i wanted more refinement at lower listening levels,so should B&W take me to court?

they seem to be suggesting that only "qualified" hifi reviewers are entitled to have an opionion,which imo,is just twaddle.

Saab, May 20, 2004
  2. Saab

Dev Moderator

I think as long as you make it clear that your opinions are just that, i.e. YOUR opinions then there shouldn't be a problem. However, constantly dissing a make/model and trying to make it seem like your comments are facts could cost them lost sales, so I suppose they may get a little miffed;)

But whichever way you look at it, I disagree with them. What will we do in our spare time FFS?, listen to music?:D

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2004
    Dev, May 20, 2004
  3. Saab

merlin

Question for Roy Gregory and others.

Where is the difference between exaggerating the disappointment and reliability issues of certain manufacturers on a public forum, and hyping the clap out of some pair of speakers in a magazine because you just might be able to have some kit on extended loan or for sale on EBay from the distributor?

How do these journo's afford megabuck systems on the typical hack's salary?

Do they really think they know more than certain members of public forae ? If that's the case maybe I should get me some of those Nordost cables:D

merlin, May 20, 2004
  4. Saab

Dev Moderator

I think you should and then publish your "biased" conclusions here:D

Dev, May 20, 2004
  5. Saab

BlueMax

HiFi is a very subjective thing.
    How could anyone claim that the view of a HiFi enthusiast is "wild" thoughts/opinions ?

For true professionals in the industry opinions from the end users, such as in the forums, are a valuable source of feedback.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2004
    BlueMax, May 20, 2004
  6. Saab

Saab

I don't want to really debate journalistic integrity,thats a different matter,but trying to control "discussions" on the web is another matter,is utterly ridiculous.

This snotty attitude only seems to exist in the HIFI world,certainly doesnt in cameras and cars

I don't like Naim,i find the stuff lacking in soul\emotion,whatever,and i will continue to say that without an ounce of science or any real experience to back it up,its what the web is for

Saab, May 20, 2004
  7. Saab

Paul Duerden

I agree completely with all the above. I do feel that Gregory has outdone himself here for intolerant arrogance, given his previous track record that is no mean feat.

I have worked in the industry and owned some kind of system since 1980. I have had more kit than I can remember kicking around in that time, as well as access to friends systems and other dealer systems I have taken the trouble to listen to.

Why then is my opinion so much less valid than Mr. Gregory's? Or do people like us piss on his parade when he is trying to sell overpriced junk for his regular advertisers and calling it an unbiased review.

Paul Duerden, May 20, 2004
  8. Saab

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

let em take me to court for my views,then they'll be forced to back up there marketing spheal with real facts:D

themadhippy, May 20, 2004
  9. Saab

JackOTrades

i haven't actually read that article, but what a stupid thing
    to do!! it's like pissing on their own soup!!! can't they see
    that it's people like us, in these forums, that actually buy
    (or used to buy :bub: ) their magazines?! :newbie:

and what kind of marketing is that of going out telling people
    off for not liking one's product? if anything, manufacturers should
    collect all feedback and address what needs addressing, and
    ignore what is rubbish. :grrr:

forums are really good at filtering mad opinions since the people
    involved balance eachother out and don't really take much
    bullshit... so to my mind, forums are *the best* place to get
    a wholistic view (not one-sided).

i'll be damned if anyone is gonna tell me what opinions i can
    and cannot have!!! :inferno:

just my two cents.

:beer:
    Jack

JackOTrades, May 20, 2004
  10. Saab

Sgt Rock

One of the Hi-Fi+ contributors actually posts on this forum :D

Sgt Rock, May 20, 2004
  11. Saab

PeteH Natural Blue

IME journalists are much more likely to present their (sometimes deranged) opinions as fact than members of the public on a forum such as this.

Still, it's not like we've never laid into Hifi+ on here, so I guess it's fair enough that they get some payback in there :D Do we think he's talking in particular about the "wild opinions" of us sceptics?

PeteH, May 20, 2004
  12. Saab

Saab

This is the offending paragraph,by Roy Gregory

Which brings us back to web forums and the opinions they pedal.Just like review sites.Their content is open to manipulation by those with their own agendas.Multiple posts from multiple addresses can easily dominate a thread,and who is to know?The problem is the lack of restraint leads to intemporate claims and accusations as anonymity like alcohol affects peples inhibitions.When was the last time you witnessed an informed debate around closing time?

he must have had a slating somewhere

Saab, May 20, 2004
  13. Saab

PeteH Natural Blue

That'd be here then, amongst others :D

PeteH, May 20, 2004
  14. Saab

Paul Ranson

That would be 'peddle'. Roy seems to have got himself into a tangle.

If he had a point he could print a link to such a thread on one of the many hifi fora around the world....

Paul

Paul Ranson, May 20, 2004
  15. Saab

PeteH Natural Blue

:ffrc:

Print magazines, on the other hand, are always entirely impartial, and there's no possibility at all that any of their content could be manipulated. Especially as the magazines are assembled on a voluntary basis with no money changing hands anywhere along the line :D

PeteH, May 20, 2004
  16. Saab

Dev Moderator

Actually he may have something there. I vaguely recall an individual constantly "pushing a make of sub on a (AV?) forum, which he sold. Every other make was apparently not in the same league. Anyone remember the details?

Not every site is as open as this one, so in that sense Roy Gregory does have a point.

Dev, May 20, 2004
  17. Saab

Dev Moderator

They're not all the same, I have some respect for one or two. ;)

Dev, May 20, 2004
  18. Saab

michaelab desafinado

The details are well known to a few of us on here but PLEASE, for those who know, don't post them here :) . It's been the subject of a few inter-forum wars and it's totally unproductive to bring them up.

There certainly can be an issue with forums where there are undeclared vested interests pushing certain bits of kit. It's certainly not the case here though :)

Michael.

michaelab, May 20, 2004
  19. Saab

julian2002 Muper Soderator

not having read the article i'd not want to comment on the content, however, it sounds to me like they are experiencing an 'mp3 moment' i.e. they are afraid of a frank and free (in both senses of the word) exchange of views and recomendations that are the strong point of these fora.
    especially as most of the time they are backed up with an invite to come round for a listen. which ever way you slice it the mags are outclassed and they are just starting to realise it.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, May 20, 2004
  20. Saab

michaelab desafinado

I'd love to know if his jibe was in any way a reaction to anything specific he read here (or on another forum)..... :)

But Julian has summed it up well. The internet now allows a far greater and broader exchange of views with far greater immediacy that's starting to make the magazines a little redundant. That said, I'll still buy HiFi+ - I like the smell of the paper :D

Michael.

michaelab, May 20, 2004
Ask a Question