hifi to pc - no loss wanted

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by frenchcr, Feb 12, 2008.

1. frenchcr

frenchcr

Hi,

How do i send music/internet radio from my PC to my quad909 amp/kef ref 102/2 speakers setup without losing quality of sound ??

I know you can get a cable with the light green headphone type jack (to pc) at one end and a red and white (to amp) at the other. But ive tried one of these and it wasnt too hot.

Any other ideas or transmitter reciever type devices...would spend £100 max.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2008
    frenchcr, Feb 12, 2008
  2. frenchcr

Tenson Moderator

It sounds like you are using an in-built soundcard? It could be that this is quite poor quality. You can find external soundcards for about £50 and up that will do the job nicely. Or come to think of it an internal one like the old M-Audio Audiophile2496 would do the job too, and even has RCA/Phono outputs for your hi-fi.

Edirol make some good kit (a devision of Roland).
    http://www.dv247.com/invt/30313/

The other thing to consider is that a lot of music from internet radio and such like is poor quality in the first place. Have you listened on headphones or something else to be sure of the quality?

Tenson, Feb 12, 2008
  3. frenchcr

frenchcr

Cheers Tenson,

Just learned of the Onkyo UWL-1.... "they" say...

carry music from computer to hifi at distances of up to 30 metres, no wires.

plug the USB stick transmitter in to a USB socket on PC and connect the receiver to a spare input on your hifi system.

The transmission system is uncompressed, so the sound quality isn't compromised by the relay and the receiver features both analogue and digital outputs, for direct connection to your hifi or an external Digital to Analogue converter

frenchcr, Feb 13, 2008
  4. frenchcr

sastusbulbas

Hi Tenson,

What other internal sound cards do you rate highly for audio use with PC and do you rate rca stereo out or digital out? IE what may be better with similar features to the M-Audio one

Ta,
    Steve

sastusbulbas, Feb 16, 2008
  5. frenchcr

shrink

get a squeezebox... install slimserver on your PC and use it to play music through your hifi. The squeezebox has internet radio and has a not to bad DAC built into it. Its a lot better than a PC sound card thats for sure.

shrink, Feb 16, 2008
  6. frenchcr

Evilchicken0

What if I wanted to go the other way ???

I want record vinyl to mp3 so I can listen on my phone going to work

Evilchicken0, Feb 16, 2008
  7. frenchcr

Tenson Moderator

I can't say I was very impressed with the built in DAC of the squeezebox. Not bad as a freebie but its hardly 'good'.

If you want to record as well then you should go for an external soundcard like the Edirol UA-1EX.

If you want top quality recording for vinyl hen get a good ADC (like the modified Behringer SRC I make) and connect it via an optical digital input and output to the computer. This will give the best performance, but for listening on your mobile phone I'd think the Edirol ill do, and it will sound easily as good as the squeezebox with its analogue outs.

As for the question about internal soundards I'm not really sure... all good ones are external to get away from the noisy environment of the computer case. I have heard the SoundBlaster X-Fi or something like that is pretty good. I used to have a Turtle Beech card that was very good, but rather dated now. I also think there is an internal version of the M-Audio Delta 10/10 with simple break-out cables.

Tenson, Feb 16, 2008
  8. frenchcr

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Which squeezebox was it Tenson? 1, 2 or model 3?

I have the latest one (3) - and the dac is certainly as good as I've heard up to quite a considerable sum.

bottleneck, Feb 16, 2008
  9. frenchcr

shrink

i use my squeezebox into an external DAC anyway, so its shortcomings in this department are largely irrelevant to me. I did feel that on its own merits though, it was perhaps on par with a £300 cd player.

shrink, Feb 16, 2008
  10. frenchcr

sastusbulbas

Thanks Tenson,

I was under the impression a couple of years ago that computer case internals were detrimental to audio quality, in particular the power supply? Nothing I have read recently seems to mention this though.

Ashley of AVI pointed out the M-Audio 2496 internal card as a good choice for internal. But I of course have no idea of comparisons or options between any internal or external cards.

Are breakout cables detrimental? I am not really into having a bunch of wires I am not using sticking out the card.

Steve

sastusbulbas, Feb 16, 2008
  11. frenchcr

Tenson Moderator

Number 3 I think. It was Dev's one. I bought over a modified DEQ to play with, and Dev also had another I forget the name of (started with a 'T') with a modded PSU from Tony. Oh and his Arcam Alpha 9.

The SB3 was acceptable, but I wouldn't go as far as to say its good. The Arcam Alpha 9 CDP and the Modified DEQ outstripped it by a fair margin. I felt by comparison to those, the SB3 had a bass lift of about 2dB and the whole sound was somewhat ill defined.

As I said though, for the money and everything else the SB3 does I would not want to complain.

Tenson, Feb 16, 2008
  12. frenchcr

Tenson Moderator

I'm afraid you will have to try for yourself, I don't really have a huge experience with internal cards beyond mid-budget level stuff. Why do you want an internal one? You can get ones that use a PCI card but have all the important parts external if you just want to use a PCI slot.

Tenson, Feb 16, 2008
  13. frenchcr

Dev Moderator

Since when has Entech been spelt with a 'T'?:D

Dev, Feb 17, 2008
  14. frenchcr

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

just goes to show how opinions can differ.

I didn't hear much between the SB3 and a £3,000 Dax Decade.

A smidge maybe, and a better volume control for sure.

People turn molehills into mountains in audio I feel, most Dacs don't really sound that different.

bottleneck, Feb 17, 2008
  15. frenchcr

Tenson Moderator

:eek:

Tenson, Feb 17, 2008
  16. frenchcr

Tenson Moderator

I agree, changes in these sorts of things are usually pretty small, absolutely speaking. However, as these things go, it was quite a large difference. I wouldn't consider using the SB3 analogue outputs in anything more than a mid level system or as a second source. Any budget level CD player will sound as good I suspect, and nothing wrong with using one if you are happy with it.

Tenson, Feb 17, 2008
  17. frenchcr

Johnj

Get yoursef a decent DAC use a USB lead.
    I got a dealer to loan me one on sale or return kept the DAC now use a laptop instead of a highly mod Nu-vista and no regrets.
    Loads of good DACs about

Johnj, Feb 17, 2008
  18. frenchcr

muzzer

Which model?

muzzer, Feb 18, 2008
  19. frenchcr

RIPit Don't Fear The RIPer

My first post!
    The SONOS system is by far and away the best Digital Music System on the planet at the moment. Nothing can touch it for ease of use, and the quality of the components. See the Steriophile review.
    I have been so impressed by it that I have sold my Wadia 861b. This has been replaced by a Reimyo DAP-777 with my SONOS ZP80 hooked into the Toslink input ... with CD's RIPed uncompressed the sound quality is fabulous. Not quite as good as my Wadia, but it is huge convenience (I have over 800 CDs) over a very slight reduction in sound quality. Internet Radio sounds great as well. The support from SONOS is world class, and I should know as I work for an IT company - HP.
    I have bought a Cyrus CDXt/PSX-R for spinning silver disks, and through the DAP-777 it spanks the 861b. When I can afford the Reimyo transport it will replace the Cyrus.
    Some of this might sound like heresy to some of you ... but just listen and you will be converted.

RIPit, Feb 20, 2008
  20. frenchcr

racey

Would a DAC improve the sound quality of internet radio?
    Or would an external soundcard like the above-mentioned be better?
    Any recommendations would be welcome.

racey, Feb 20, 2008
Ask a Question