HIFI verses house content insurance

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Nov 9, 2006.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Does this exist?

I am moving out soon hopefully and I want to insure my HIFI but I am not bothered about anything else as its relatively worthless. The only other thing I have of real value is a Sempron 2800 desktop PC and a PIII laptop (which is worth more than the desktop:D ).

How much does HIFI insurance cost if it exists?

amazingtrade, Nov 9, 2006
  2. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

Without being rude you might as well just get contents cover. Unless items are of particularly high value they're covered on that. What about your computers, clothes, kitchen items, furniture etc. Aren't most rented houses unfurnished these days?

lordsummit, Nov 9, 2006
  3. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Do you know how much that is likely to cost? As I have no post code yet I can't get quotes. It will probably be in a better innercity area but it will still be higher risk than where my parents are now. I guess how secure it is will make a big difference to the premiums.

Either way insurance is a must I think, I know too many people without who got burgled.

My clothes are worth about 50p thanks to Primark :D

amazingtrade, Nov 9, 2006
  4. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

it's no good scimping on house insurabce- you'll regret it if you do...you may have many items worth small amounts - but if you're not insured and had to replace them all again...

mr cat, Nov 9, 2006
  5. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

We pay about £90 a month to Direct Line and that includes buildings, electrics, plumbing, and contents. That includes some expensive antiques, a Bosendorfer piano and my hi-fi. So even in deepest darkest Manchester it's not going to be that much for a basic level of cover. As the man says, you don't know what it's worth till it's gone. Just check how much un-named articles are allowed to be worth.

lordsummit, Nov 9, 2006
  6. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

My house insurance is running at £45 per month... includes building, contents, personal items (ie items that are taken out of the house - camera, laptop, etc). Items over £1500 or bicycles over £500 must be declared.

I-S, Nov 9, 2006
  7. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

By the way, if you're going to be renting then all you need is possesions insurance... insuring the building (and contents if furnished) is up to the landlord. I wouldn't expect this to run more than £20 per month at most.

I-S, Nov 9, 2006
  8. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

The original post is incredibly naive! Yes individual items may be worthless but you work out the cost of replacing all the possessions you'll acquire in a year, and I'm talking at the level of cups, knives etc here and you'll soon see why you need insurance against theft or loss due to fire. Furthemore until you know what postcode you're going to its all just guess work and hot air. Then do you want to add accidental damage cover, and what about new for old? Essential I'd have thought with electronic goods

Bob McC, Nov 9, 2006
  9. amazingtrade

la toilette Downright stupid

For contents alone I think I pay Lloyds TSB about £12 a month, and that includes two bikes kept in the shed. Hifi components are all below the threshold required to declare them - although as a whole it might creep above the limit....actually might have to look into whether they would consider my hifi one item or a collection of items....hmmm. Definitely don't skimp on the insurance though, I got cleaned out of whatever hifi and cameras some thieving chavs could carry when I lived in Nottingham when I was un-insured. It was most definitely not funny :mad: . I also know of someone who had his entire flat cleaned out, including his clothes, duvet, food etc. :eek:

la toilette, Nov 9, 2006
  10. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

when I lived in a flat about 4 years ago - I had returned from work to find that someone had attempted to break intop my flat - in fact the back door was in half (it was a cul de sac and i guess they must have got disturbed and ran off) - had this of happened the next day I would have went straight to my ex's house for the next 7 days...they would have cleared me out....luckily I was insured but I still moved out within a few days...

mr cat, Nov 9, 2006
  11. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

On our insurance Hi-Fi is done per component so even if in total it is over £2500, per item (IIRC) it is not. Think about the value of the music collection when you add all the albums up ;) Don’t want to loose all that!

Tenson, Nov 9, 2006
Ask a Question