Hificollective TVC preamp kit

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Dik Dolan, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Dik Dolan

Dik Dolan

just finished putting together the transformer volume control preamp kit from hificollective. There were a couple of minor probs with the instructions/wiring diagram, but with help from Nick Lucas who helped me sort it and has now amended the instructions it's working beautifully.

I can't praise Nick highly enough... he has been swapping emails with me on a sunday evening on new years eve!

The kit is for my brother, he already had the dale/vishay stepped preamp and we ordered the new tvc upgrade kit for it. The build was a little tricky because it's a little cramped in the case but went together ok with a bit of patience. The quality of the case and the transformers/switches/sockets is really first rate... the finished preamp feels very solid and chunky....... to see one is to want one=)

It's a little early to give a detailed description of the sound, but even with just a couple of tracks through it the purity and quality is outstanding. It has absolutely excellent transparancy with lightening speed and dynamics...and these things are supposed to need 100's of hours to burn in. It already surpasses my brothers modded Michell argo HR and the stepped attenuator passive he used before. It beats the argo for drive and weight and beats the dale/vishay in the transparency stakes.... in other words it takes on and beats his other preamps at their strong points.

Highly recommended.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.hificollective.co.uk/kits/glasshousehome.html

Dik Dolan, Dec 31, 2006
Ask a Question