High Output MC question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by johnfromnorwich, Dec 9, 2005.

1. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Okay so am I missing something ? I emailed Creek to ask about using a high output MC (~ 2.5 mV) with an OBH-8 MM phono stage (~3.5 mV recommended). They said: No Way.

10 years ago I was using a high output MC with the phono stage on a Cyrus 1 set to MM with no problems.

I want to replace my cartridge so this is pretty pertinent.

Help !

johnfromnorwich, Dec 9, 2005
  2. johnfromnorwich

Machineman

John,
    I think it may be possible that Creek read the "moving coil" bit of your question, and subconsciously ignored the "high output" bit.
    Can you post their reply?

Now I may be completely wrong here, and I am sure others will step in to correct me. The way I understand it is, while I waited for my Stageline (2mv), my dealer lent me a Rega phono (3mv), now I needed 12 o'clock on the volume dial to get loudish. With the Naim I only needed about 11 for similar volume.
    It just means you will be using more of the available rotation of the knob, no problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2005
    Machineman, Dec 9, 2005
  3. johnfromnorwich

lordsummit moderate mod

I used an Ortofon MC3 quite happily with a Creek 4040 mm phono stage, I wouldn't worry. That output is close enough to mm not to cause any problems

lordsummit, Dec 9, 2005
  4. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

My question to Creek was:

Hi - I have an OBH-8 (few years old but sounds fine to my ears). My current cartridge is a Rega Elys 2. I'd never really thought about it but the 7mV output is rather higher than the recommended 5 mV input max on the quoted back of the phono stage !

2 questions:

1. Am I likely to be pushing the input stage too hard - I do seem to be getting more surface noise than expected even on brand new, 180g audiophile type pressings ?

2. Is the unit compatible with high output MC cartridges - e.g. Sumiko Blue Point (rated at 2.5 mV) ?

Any clarification appreciated.

Their reply was:

Dear Sir,

The higher signal you put in the pre-amp the more you will be getting out of it. The head room is very high and you will find it hard to over drive it. Even if you do it would not damage it.

No, the OBH8 is MM only.

I think I ws pretty clear and their reply seemed unambiguous. I just want a new cartridge ! Also note that the OBH-8 has no gain control so all my adjustment will come from my Cyrus 8

Hope all this is clear

John

johnfromnorwich, Dec 9, 2005
  5. johnfromnorwich

Machineman

Yeah, obviously they didn't realise it was a high output MC.

Any 47kohm cartridge will be OK with your Creek.

Machineman, Dec 9, 2005
Ask a Question