hissssssssssssssss

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Zoomer, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Zoomer

Zoomer

ok well i have a little bit of a problem when i play cd's some worse then others i get a hiss, i have a good feeling this is the cdp but not 100%.

the kit i have is

Speakers - Tannoy Mercury MX4-M
    Amp - Technics SU-A707
    CDP - Technics SL-PG390
    Tuner - Yamaha TX-480L ( Not in picture )

Speaker Cable - Cable Talk 3
    Int - QED Qunex 2 + IXOS104

The speakers are new and it tried out connecting my song Net MD with a cheapo cable and any hiss is reduced a hell of a lot.

I'm planing to get a supperdac at the end of the month is this likely to solve my prob or would i be better off saving for a cdp thats around the 200/300 rabge.

any help /ideas and suggestions would be good.

Zoomer, Sep 9, 2004
  2. Zoomer

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

It's undoubtedly the superb resoving power of CD and your system. Your are hearing the tape hiss from the original analogue recording.

Seriously you may be! Check the label, if it is AAD or ADD the the original was analogue and then the above may be true.

When you say hiss, is this constant through out the cd even when there is no music?

LiloLee, Sep 9, 2004
  3. Zoomer

Zoomer

this even happens on things like Dido - life for rent which i would of thought would be a digital recording in the first place. but I must admit it is way more noticble on older things like bill withers.

the hiss seems to happen on teh radio aswell but i ignore that as its not digital so is likely to have some interferance.

And the same recording put on my MD doesnt have the hiss.

Ya the hiss is constant aslong as a cd is playing.

Zoomer, Sep 9, 2004
  4. Zoomer

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Do you get the same hiss through the speakers when a CD isn't playing? If not then it's got to be due to the CD player or CD right?

MartinC, Sep 9, 2004
  5. Zoomer

Zoomer

the is no hiss when the cdp is turned off, and no hiss when I used my Sony MDp

so i'm guessing CDP but what i want to know is will a superdac help or am i better off getting a new CDP. considering my price range for a cdp is about 200 new or s/h

Zoomer, Sep 9, 2004
  6. Zoomer

MartinC Trainee tea boy

How about with the CD player on but not playing a CD? Probably no hiss, depending quite how the CD player output works, but if there were hiss is this situation it would show you it's purely the CD player and not the recordings. Do you have any CDs with 'bonus' tracks that appear after a long gap at the end of the disc? These typically have absolutely no signal recorded for these periods, as opposed to a recorded section with no instruments playing where you still get microphone hiss etc. If you did then playing such a section would tell you exactly what hiss is generated by the CD player.

Maybe you could give some examples of the CDs you've noticed lots of hiss on and others could let you know if they thought it was the recordings or not?

How does your system sound overall? If it tends towards the bright this would make any hiss more prominent (and irritating).

Edited to add - Just spotted your comment about not getting the problem with you MD player, so it probably is the CD player...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2004
    MartinC, Sep 9, 2004
  7. Zoomer

Zoomer

the 2 albums i have that i know that do the gap on the last track for a bonus they dont have any hiss at all, so i guess that would mean that the hiss is souly due to the recording.

so it would seem i have to be content with the quility of music then. or is there steps/ upgrades i can do that will change the sound so that i wold be less likely to hear this. ie would a differnt amp or cdp make it a bit software, and if so any recomendations?

Thanks for all the help with this sofar btw.

Zoomer, Sep 9, 2004
  8. Zoomer

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

I still find this a bit odd. I think it is just more detail you are hearing. Getting a DAC is likely to make it more obvious, but you never know until you try it.

LiloLee, Sep 10, 2004
Ask a Question