Home trials in London

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mtbguy68, Aug 12, 2008.

1. mtbguy68

mtbguy68

Hi All,

I have been looking for a new floorstanding speakers for the last few months and have now listened to Sonus Fabers, B&W, Triangle and Gamuts. When I book into my listening session I usually inform the store that I am going through the process of listening to a few brands since I've never had such a choice in Australia.

I am looking to spend between £2500 to £4000 in the future. When I ask if they offer home trials, at the point of when I've narrowed down to two pairs that I may want, all of the dealers I've been to said they don't offer home trials. If they did it would be for more than I was going to spend.

I've always had the impression that home trials is one of the advantages of going to a dealer to ensure you buy the speakers that would work in your room.

Am I mistaken on this assumption? Are there any dealers in London that provide this service? What if I like the speakers in the dealer room but can't take it home, should I talk to the distributor?

Thanks for any input.

mtbguy68, Aug 12, 2008
  2. mtbguy68

Corky 20th Century survivor

Buckinghamshire and soon moving to Yorkshire
    Hi, I had no problem getting a home dem for around £1,000 (or was it £1200, I can't remember) worth of purchases.

These guys might be out of reach geographically, but worht asking. I can't fault them in attention to detail and preparedness to go the extra mile (and the advice I got was also top rank):
    Artisan Audio
    for discerning listeners
    +44 (0)1494 858471
    http://www.artisanaudio.co.uk

The main man's name is Ralph and if you're too far, he might be able to suggest a dealer closer to you

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
    Corky, Aug 12, 2008
  3. mtbguy68

D Louth 77

Mtbguy68 I am disgusted by this kind of thing . It should not matter if its £200 or £20000 almost above anything else speakers must be tried in your room . As some one with two problem rooms without the ability to try at home i could have ended up with very good speakers that just didn't work in my room but are brilliant else where .I don't know about you but i could not afford such a mistake .

You are right ,this should be basic service from any Dealer anywhere.

If its an issue of not knowing you ,offer to pay a deposit or pay for the speakers on a written proviso that if they don't work and you return them as loaned(same condition) you can have your money back.
    What would be so hard about that . Do these Dealers know you? If not i can understand their caution but what i suggest above would solve the issue (if that is it) As long as you return them in loaned condition what is the problem and they might make a sale you will be happy . I really don't know ..... Is business in London that good ?that they can treat people like this .

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Aug 12, 2008
  4. mtbguy68

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Thats amazing mtb guy, I can't believe a dealer would be so narrow minded. You've stumbled on ''not the best'' dealers I would hazard a guess!

Try Noteworthy Audio, about 30 minutes drive from M25. It's worth a little journey if you're going to spend that kind of money.. IMO...

bottleneck, Aug 12, 2008
  5. mtbguy68

mtbguy68

D Lough 77,

No they don't know me so that maybe the reason, although I do tell them that I am in London for work and let them know the system I had in Australia to give them some idea of what I am looking for.

I have also asked about the deposit and some just don't offer it?
    I can't fault their demonstration and the time they have allowed me to listen to music but just not in my room.

Thanks
    Alan

mtbguy68, Aug 12, 2008
  6. mtbguy68

Johnj

Speakers are probaly the most important item to hear in the home. Here are a few dealers in London and surronding areas who should be willing to help
    Sterenow
    Sounds of Music
    Radlett Audio
    Audio T
    Audio Consultants

Johnj, Aug 12, 2008
  7. mtbguy68

D Louth 77

Myguy68 Alan

This is verrrrrrry poor . What about a home demo ,You pay and if you don't buy they keep the deposit ? You really should not have to do that ,hell do they not value your potential custom .

No matter how wealthy you are or your attitude ,this is very basic service . To refuse this is just unimaginable.

Now i have been around a few London dealers many years ago and i did find some of them to be very stuck up and arrogant . Almost as if they were doing you a service by even talking to you . Now this was at least 14 years ago and at the time i visited Vinyl Tube Audio (now gone ) and they were really nice people and very happy to chat . I would have hoped by now things would have improved but London shops do have a bit of an attitude in general (superiority) i am talking in general not just about audio now IMHE

Good luck i hope you find a good alternative .

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Aug 12, 2008
  8. mtbguy68

mtbguy68

JohnJ/Bottleneck,

Thanks for the your suggestions and definitely look them up. Only problem for me is if they are too far from public transport as I don't have car. That's why I have confined myself to London.

D Lough,

My impression so far is that they actually just want to sell what they anyway they can. I had the guy with the Sonus Faber asking me if he can order a pair even though I told him that I will be listening to a number of speakers and he was my first store. That actually put me off going back there.

Anyway, I'm at least enjoying having a lot more choice than what I had back home.

Thanks

mtbguy68, Aug 12, 2008
  9. mtbguy68

nando nando

issue here, if you think that the dealer will cover the cost of their staff to deliver such expensive goods and spend time "free of charge" my question and answer is why not ask such dealers to give them to you free! if any one who runs a genuine retail business and gives home service then there is a price to pay by the customer for such service, other then for the customer to spect that service for free and likes the goods and says thanks i got them cheaper elsewere,
    nando

nando, Aug 12, 2008
  10. mtbguy68

have you tried Walrus?

Its my favourite London shop, but their brands are off the beaten track if you're looking for Naim/Linn/Rega/Rotel or other more common high street brands it's not the place to go.

I'd be suprised if they turned down a home visit, but I'm losing faith in this thread!

bottleneck, Aug 12, 2008
  11. mtbguy68

nando nando

ask for les, co.owner great guy
    nando

nando, Aug 12, 2008
  12. mtbguy68

bottleneck, Aug 12, 2008
  13. mtbguy68

Tenson Moderator

If you are only in London on work, what address are you giving them? Do you have a home here?

With the industry shrinking and people buying on internet I guess a lot of dealers will not offer a home demo unless you make a commitment to spend some money with them. After all, it does cost them to offer such a service.

For example, Sounds of Music will only offer home demos once you commit to spending your money with them. Once you have done that, you can home demo any of the speakers you like within your budget until you are happy. They have a large choice so this is not too bad an option. For other dealers with less choice... I suppose they could just operate the trial at the cost of postage and a small payment for the effort?

Tenson, Aug 12, 2008
  14. mtbguy68

lbr monkey boy

Nando - it's not a free service, it's a cost component that should be factored into the selling price. Home demo is the most basic of requirements at this level of expenditure: i wouldn't even waste 5 minutes of conversation on a dealer that wouldn't offer this.

lbr, Aug 12, 2008
  15. mtbguy68

hifi addict

Have you tried sale or return? Perhaps dealers would be more inclined to loan you on that basis. Yes I agree Les is very very helpful chap. www.walrus.co.uk

There is always Tony at ABC Audio in Bromley www.abc-audio.co.uk
    There is Simon at absolute Analogue www.absoluteanalogue.co.uk
    Theres Keith at Purité Audio in Muswell Hill www.puriteaudio.co.uk
    Theres Dave at Brighton Hifi Just south of Tunbridge Wells www.hifiguy.co.uk
    Theres Nando at Homescape Hifi www.homescapeav.co.uk
    There is Dave at Progressive Audio www.progressiveaudio.co.uk
    Theres Kevin at Audiocraft in Hillingdon www.audio-craft.co.uk

These chaps I know all arrange home dems, and cover the London area.

hifi addict, Aug 12, 2008
  16. mtbguy68

lbr monkey boy

Mtb - if you can't get a home demo then it may be worth considering the 2nd hand market - if something doesn't work in your room you can always resell. If that's the route you choose, probably only fair to leave the dealers alone though - i wouldn't advocate using a dealer's facilities and then buying elsewhere...

lbr, Aug 12, 2008
  17. mtbguy68

mtbguy68

Nando,

I take your point. But my impression of being able to get a home audition is based on the advice of the UK mags that I have read since being interested in Hifi.

I would also only have asked when I had identified one or two speakers that I really liked. I wasn't going to ask every single store to provide the service while I was auditioning. BTW, I wanted to be upfront with the dealers because I want to support the one that will assist me in finding what I am looking for as it will be the components that I will be taking home when my work finishes.

I am not sure why you had the impression that I am one of those people who would waste a dealers time and then buy of the internet.

mtbguy68, Aug 12, 2008
  18. mtbguy68

mtbguy68

Bottleneck,

Yes I do know Walrus since I bought a new belt for my NA Mentor from Les. Unfortunately, the speakers that they sell are not sold in Australia, I am buying with this in mind as i will be shipping them home eventually.

Hifi Addict,

Thanks for the list of dealers.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

mtbguy68, Aug 12, 2008
  19. mtbguy68

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Nando,

As a dealer do you think that customers should pay for home dems? What do you charge as a dealer for this privilege?

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 13, 2008
  20. mtbguy68

Corruption

The only time I have home-dem'd equipment from Audio Excellence they have charged my credit card and then refunded me when I returned the item (assuming I didn't want to keep it).

Seems a fair enough arrangement to me....

Corruption, Aug 13, 2008
Ask a Question