Homebrew Passive Pre

For Sale: Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by spev, Nov 28, 2006.

1. spev

spev

Passive Pre based on the circuit in this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2608&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

It's basically a 10k alps blue pot, 2 pairs of gold plated rca inputs linked to a simple switch, a few resistors and a couple of polystyrene caps for HF filtering. Two pairs of gold plated output rcas for biamping should it ever make its way into such a grand setup... All wiring is solid silver in teflon tubing. Case is a small (150x50x80mm) maplins black acrylic (which sadly appears remarkably prone to scratching). Vol knob is matt black Aluminium, also from maplins.

Linked it in to the power amp input on the NAD3130 (also up for sale) and it was a marked improvement on the nad's pre - clearer, more open sounding.

No idea what it's worth so open to offers...

Cheers

James

spev, Nov 28, 2006
  2. spev

DarrenW

I could do with a basic pre to try with a leak stereo 20 so this might do me - any guide re price - don't want to offend

rgds

darren

DarrenW, Dec 4, 2006
  3. spev

spev

blimey, now you're asking. It was about £25 in parts, plus my labour at £60 p/h, say 4 hours construction time....

am I being cheeky asking £20 incl postage?

spev, Dec 4, 2006
  4. spev

DarrenW

£15 and you have a deal - pay pal?

Darren

PS is it any good?

DarrenW, Dec 4, 2006
  5. spev

spev

if we're using paypal then I'm going to have to try for £17.50... their fees for accepting and transfering money are harsh...

I've only used the pre to "replace" the pre section of my NAD 3130 integrated. It was, imo, cleaner and clearer sounding with the passive, but I would say that... Obviously very dependent on the power amp in the NAD

You may need to change resistor values around to match your attenuation needs.

spev, Dec 4, 2006
  6. spev

DarrenW

There fees are 3% I believe - or 50p - what is this? daylight robbery? - at least dick turpin wore a mask!

on a more serious note I guess I could spring for the full (albeit extortionate) amount - pm me your email address and I will contact the payers of pals forthwith

Darren

PS hhmmmnn.......changing resistors would imply extra cost for me - how much is a resistor? how many to change? - methinks a rethink is on the cards if thee don't act with great haste

DarrenW, Dec 5, 2006
  7. spev

spev

thinking about it, I'm not really comfortable selling this on to anyone - it's not exactly production build quality and may involve a certain amount of tweaking to match a given system...

I don't want you to be dissatisfied at the end of the day...

spev, Dec 5, 2006
  8. spev

DarrenW

sell it to me for less then

oh for gawds sake are ye sellin or not?

Darren

DarrenW, Dec 5, 2006
  9. spev

dreftar

If its not yet sold Ill offer you twenty to include posting - pm me and Ill organise a cheque etc

dreftar, Dec 5, 2006
  10. spev

DarrenW

Dreftar you are a Bounder and a cad sir!

Spev - can I just point out that my posts above were an (albeit poor) attempt at humour - obviously misjudged my audience etc -I suppose it is conceivable that I would argue over £2.50 but really! I certainly thought you were joing re the harsh fee thing!

as it seems I have now been outbid I guess I will have to retire gracefully - disappointed that zerogain is the kind of forum where an offer is made and being openly discussed and then someone pops along to offer £2.50 more and expects to get away with it

rgds

darren

PS obviously not that graceful after all
    PPS must learn to use these awful smiley things in future

DarrenW, Dec 5, 2006
  11. spev

spev

Darren - don't worry - the humour wasnt lost on me!

I'm just trying to be decent about what's on offer here... we're not talking a pro standard passive pre (although I've never seen inside one, so maybe we are...).

It may not suit your requirements and I don't want you to be disappointed and have unwanted grief!

re paypal, I don't have a great many dealings with them, but on the few occasions I have they seem to take roughly 50p for allowing the transaction and then roughly another £1 for me to transfer into my bank account... daylight robbery, no humour intended...

If you still want it based on the above then its yours for £17.50 (roughly £16 minus postage to me...)

I can throw in some resistors which would either lower or raise attenuation depending on requirements.

Regards

James

spev, Dec 5, 2006
  12. spev

DarrenW

James

I'd be surprised if the pro ones were much less than yours - mostly air, a posh case and marketing hype would be the difference - the extra resistors would be a useful addition thanks - send me your email and I will sort out the paypal thingy asap and reply with address

Many thanks

Darren

DarrenW, Dec 5, 2006
  13. spev

spev

Darren, you have pm

ta

James

spev, Dec 5, 2006
  14. spev

DarrenW

Hi James