Horn incredible system turned to fully digital...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by skaloumbakas, Aug 17, 2003.

1. skaloumbakas

skaloumbakas

Hi,

I just updated JYK's Profile Page (included in the A.C.A. pages). Click http://aca.gr/pop_jyk.htm or the picture below, to go there...

[​IMG]

Some may agree, some may disagree with this digital - horns match, but nobody can deny that this is an impressive system - room to look at...

Enjoy

skaloumbakas, Aug 17, 2003
  2. skaloumbakas

tones compulsive cantater

Thanks, Christos. Somehow it's comforting to know that, in these trying times, there are people who have that much small change weighing down their pockets! Mind you, had I that amount of small change, I don't think I would have done that with it, but each to his or her own...

tones, Aug 17, 2003
  3. skaloumbakas

merlin

Now there's a man with taste;) Shunyata, Teac & Tact. Truth and beauty as 7V would say!!!

Seriously, I know what you mean, such systems polarise opinions somewhat. Some, who have listened to my much smaller, TacT setup, are unimpressed. Others (and interestingly, mainly those who work in the recording industry), are simply blown away.

As JY has found, the results are not to everyones taste. But I remain convinced, as did Paul Miller and others, that TacT enables me to reproduce what's on CD more faithfully than anything else out there.

I like the idea of the clocklink, I understand that I can have a weekend in France and have my kit modded, along with some tasty component upgrades. I need some duty free ciggies. anyway;)

merlin, Aug 17, 2003
  4. skaloumbakas

Robbo

Looks just like your kind of thing Merlin:)

Robbo, Aug 17, 2003
  5. skaloumbakas

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Re: Re: Horn incredible system turned to fully digital...

a man with taste?

An orange room with gold painted ceiling?

I'd be suprised if he doesnt roam around his house in a purple silk dressing gown with his name and family crest embroidered over his pocket...

:) as you say, good brands of hifi though.

Chris

bottleneck, Aug 17, 2003
  6. skaloumbakas

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

looks like the changing rooms team have struck:D

themadhippy, Aug 17, 2003
  7. skaloumbakas

lowrider Live music is surround

I wouldn't "live" in that room if it was given to me... :chunder:

Merlin,

What is that in your avatar, are you changing your nick... :JPS:

lowrider, Aug 17, 2003
  8. skaloumbakas

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Re: Re: Horn incredible system turned to fully digital...

Has any one here met Paul Miller :D , just as long as you don't phone or call before 10am OR else :chop: The good fellow could run a shop entitled 'Attitudes 'R' Us' :)

wadia-miester, Aug 17, 2003
  9. skaloumbakas

julian2002 Muper Soderator

tone,
    that's any technical review of your cables completely shot then :D

speaking purely of the aesthesics of the room shown above i think the most constructive comment i can make is eurrghh. the colours are a matter of taste and on their own could be quite apropriate in a large palace however when you take the cod 60's chromed scaffolding on the chairs and whetever those things in the corner are (more horns? bass traps?), i'm sorry, but it's just awful. with the *obvious* affluence (which says something) of the owner of this room and system you would have thought that some more effort would have been made of integrating the 2 styles more effectively.

of course none of this matters if the owner spends his time in the room with his eyes closed being transported by the music. which at the end of the day is what matters.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 17, 2003
  10. skaloumbakas

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

That is a hideous room. Anyone that would also go to that length for music reproduction has no friends and no life.

Sorry for the harshness but jesus what a mess, geekery gone mad.

garyi, Aug 17, 2003
  11. skaloumbakas

merlin

Actually I had better be careful what I say as I may well be taking a trip down there in the near future but.....

The phrase that springs to mind is "Wow it's sooo Uday"

Have we yet to discover Uday Chic;)

merlin, Aug 17, 2003
  12. skaloumbakas

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Sacrilege! Whatever you make think of the colour scheme (I quite like it :p ), to put that ugly stack of basic horns on exposed metal framework in such a gorgeous room is a total travesty :rolleyes:

technobear, Aug 17, 2003
  13. skaloumbakas

GrahamN

Now guys...pay attention to the forum interior design expert!

While the decor is not my style, I have to agree that the horns (and the scaffolding holding them up) don't exactly add to the overall (roccoco?) impression. I guess we just have to wait for the concrete sub-woofer solution.

(Chris, no offence intended...just a bit of fun with stereotyping)

GrahamN, Aug 17, 2003
  14. skaloumbakas

merlin

Ah now Antonio;)

My name actually refers to my mountain bike, but yes the VSM's might well be going:(

The speaker you see is very special, think of improved Sonus Faber Extrema:D

Made by a company called Peak Consult, its a Revelator 9900 tweeter mated to a Skanning (now Audio Technology) mid woofer in a cabinet that's made of 2.5" thick HDF/Solid wood sandwich:eek:

More importantly they sound stupendous, zero distortion, smooth and transparent, with an enormous soundstage. WM would hate them:D

It's a toss up between these and some horns to liven things up somewhat;)

Anyone got any opinions on the Avantgarde Uno? Thinking of getting a listen at Choice.

merlin, Aug 17, 2003
  15. skaloumbakas

Robbo

Merlin,

If your system sounds so good currently, why change anything:confused: Odds on you will unbalance the system and have to make a load of other changes to compensate!

Yours in confusion,

Robbo

Robbo, Aug 17, 2003
  16. skaloumbakas

I feel Merlin will pump for the horns ;) as they are dynamical enlightening if a touch 'fruity' :)
    Oddly enough this week, Chez rock 'n' roll has been under going some minor re-ingrational non imterloping electron management restructuring :) To good effect too
    Yet even stranger, these small changes have been giving large smile factors, More mains reorintation, but this week increased depth and presence, with more 'real feel', but NO electronical jiggery pokery this week or cables (next week), but good old fashioned basic metal working, been playing with materials for different isolation (speaker this time) experiments, thrown up some real surprises. hence why The T & T show has been abated.
    Plus a bloody trip to Barnsley to get a Rover 820 for MR 'Dryiness' :rolleyes: and you though you had it bad :D

17. skaloumbakas

Robbo

Oh no! he hasnt gone and done it has he :newbie:

Timpy, How could you! :NADowner: :chair:

And WM, shame on you for not managing to talk tim out of it:eek:

Robbo, Aug 17, 2003
  18. skaloumbakas

Robbo I tried really I did :banghead: :spank: :grrr: However It now means I can now look him in the eye and piss myself without having to bite my tounge :) WM
    Hey one thing though, he can't cope with speed :D

19. skaloumbakas

Robbo

You wait, he wont need to go fast - he'll soon be towing a caravan at 40 mph annoying the hell out of everyone stuck behind! Driving gloves anyone:D

Robbo, Aug 17, 2003
  20. skaloumbakas

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

This is indeed an impressive system, skaloumbakas. I am sorely tempted to travel out to visit this shrine, simply because there could be so much to learn about the sound (and not because I could be in the South of France for a couple of glorious days come the colder weather).

What appeals is that horns are so revealing that they can tell us all sorts of things about the stuff that drives them.

My curiosity is about the sound quality of the multi-driver, digital approach.

What signature does the digital circuitry itself place on the sound?
    What are the sonic pros and cons?
    How does the sound compare to the sound of a single driver horn with no electronics, active or passive?

I suppose I'm interested in what sacrifices we should make to the god of flat frequency response or are none needed?

I don't want to spark a religious debate but maybe the views of dedicated seekers.

What do you think?

7_V, Aug 17, 2003
Ask a Question