Hotpoint Aquarius - any good?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by I-S, May 22, 2005.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

My washer/dryer has packed up... it's an old Zanussi which has been leaking ever since I moved it from the flat, and now the dial has stopped advancing itself, needing help at times. Still, it was my grandfather's, and is probably nearly as old as me, so not too surprising.

Anyways, I have a hotpoint fridge and freezer which I'm happy with, and my parents had a hotpoint dishwasher that was good. So, is the Aquarius washer/dryer any good? Other than matching the fridge and freezer, they seem reasonably priced for a 1400 spin model, and have larger capacities (6kg wash, 5kg dry) than most of the competition. Will it last?

I-S, May 22, 2005
  2. I-S

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

This might sound strange but my parents have been through a lot of washing machines, they have had some fancy ones in the past.

What we have found is that the cheaper more basic ones are more reliable, they have have cheaper parts but there so much less to go wrong.

Hotpoint may have improved, but I had to go onto a washing machine forum when I had to replace the tumble dryer belt, the engineers on there were basicaly saying that Hotpoint is the main reason they're still in business, I see if I can find the site.

I think it was somthing like washingmachinehelp.co.uk or washerhelp.co.uk

We might have been unlucky with Hotpoint though.

amazingtrade, May 22, 2005
  3. I-S

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

What ever you do, look around and get it on line. We got all our kitchen kit on line a lot cheaper.

Miele are a good make for washing machines.

I would say that don't go for cheapest of the cheap it dosn't last and consider your water system if the water is not always hot then get a cold feed only one as these seem to be more reliable as they depend on cold water. Mixed feed ones seem to have a cheaper water heaters oresumably because it won't be used so much.

garyi, May 22, 2005
  4. I-S

Yep I've heared good stuff about Meile, good quality parts but you pay for. I think the most reliable washing machine my parents had was a Siemems, it lasted three years without a single thing going wrong, thats very good for our house.

We had a bosh dish washer but that didn't even last two years before the motor burn't out :(

5. I-S

Miele one of lower capacities/spec is around £1000 vs £330. I simply haven't got that kind of money. I also can't find a price online that's better than curry's/comet, which has the advantage that I can pick it up on my way home from work, not have to pay for delivery or take a day off when they fail to deliver it.

I-S, May 22, 2005
  6. I-S

GAZZ

Your mum and dad must be overfilling the washers.

Isaac, as you will be a light user, buy a cheap washer eg servis £180 and buy a cheap dryer eg hotpoint £120 Do not take out extended warranty.

GAZZ, May 22, 2005
  7. I-S

Gazz- I have no room for separate units. I have to have a combined washer/dryer.

I-S, May 22, 2005
  8. I-S

GAZZ

combined washer/dryers are known for breaking down, still buy a cheap combi. If you are not on a water meter do not buy an A rating for water useage, as these do not clean as effectively.

GAZZ, May 22, 2005
  9. I-S

Rory satisfied

i think you do need a Bosch actually. My folks have one and it hasn't broken down once in 5 years and that was a budget 1000spin job, albeit not a dryer. N.b. Hotpoints have 5 year parts guarantees AS STANDARD but not labour. Mieles are 5 years parts and labour, and are very good, but as you've pointed out, pricey. You pay for what you get.

Rory, May 22, 2005
  10. I-S

Yep be careful with that warranty I saw a programme on it once and it concluded the labour is often more expensive than getting repaired localy included parts as you have to get Hotpoint engineers to fix it.

A new belt for example cost me and my dad £18 to fix, I bet hotpoint would charge at least £50 for that.

Remember these companies make their money from call out charges and spares.

I've removed a pump and cleaned it out before, I have also done the belt with help from my dad, as longs as you have a torx screwdriver a lot of repairs you can do yourself. I would have though Isaac would have no trouble repairing a washing machine.

By the way I am totally useless with my hands.

11. I-S

rsand I can't feel my toes

I would go for the synergy especially if all the other hotpoint stuff has been satisfactory. I have a Bosh which I like a lot bought mainly because it was silver not white as I have stainless steel everything else and strangly no one makes a stainless washing machine?
    I originaly bought a dyson, but after a year of hassle with it insisted on my money back after much arguing I got a full refund, bought the infinately better bosh and had about £300 change!

rsand, May 23, 2005
  12. I-S

My parents have bosch washer and dryer now... I'm not impressed with the dryer compared to the hoover we had before (which lasted 16 years or something silly) but the washer is fine.

The problem with the bosch washer/dryer is capacities. It's nearly £100 more than the hotpoint, slower spin and has a drying capacity of only 2.25kg, as opposed to 5kg for the hotpoint. The wash load is also lower (4.5kg vs 6kg). The bosch also has lower wash and energy ratings (b/c vs a/b). I can't see it being worth that much more, especially when we've done very well with hotpoint in the past.

I-S, May 23, 2005
  13. I-S

Graham C

Why not buy one made in Britain?

Graham C, May 23, 2005
  14. I-S

Such as?

I-S, May 23, 2005
  15. I-S

Judging by the dishwasher we had you pay for the name, the spares were also very expensive. I think Siemems is probably a better make, you still get the german engineering but you're not paying for the name.

amazingtrade, May 23, 2005
  16. I-S

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Bosch are good - but make sure you buy one made in Germany. I had the budget one in the old house, made in Spain IIRC, and it was noisy and slow.

Hotpoint aren't too good these days - avoid. Ditto Hoover - I went through TWO Hoover machines in 1 month because the build quality on one was crap, and the controller on the other borke down. Total shite.

We've got a Servis in our house share and it gets a fair few loads a week and touch wood is doing fine :)

Of course, you could always use the laundrette to dry clothes - washer dryers are usually more hassle than they're worth.

domfjbrown, May 23, 2005
  17. I-S

Actually AT, Siemens and Bosch home appliances are IDENTICAL, except for the exterior styling and the name and the price (siemens typically £50-£100 more for the same model). I was looking at slimline dishwashers and noticed that the two were the same when sat next to each other.

Had a servis washing machine in my student house... piece of ****. My parent's hotpoint dishwasher was great... far better than the one they have now (which is built-in matched front panel... took the old one to my student house and sold it to the landlord... that thing was 15 years old and was going great).

I think the view I'm getting is that they're all as bad as each other unless you spend several fortunes on something german...

I-S, May 23, 2005
  18. I-S

julian2002 Muper Soderator

had a servis washer dryer which went fut practically the week the warranty expired. it was uncanny. now have a bosch which cost a bit more but has been fine (although the dryer is more of a dessicator if you're not careful).
    cheers

julian

julian2002, May 23, 2005
  19. I-S

badchamp Thermionic Member

My Zanussi washer/ dryer has been going strong for 7 years. You're old Zanussi seemed to do OK why not stick with them?

badchamp, May 23, 2005
  20. I-S

The old one wasn't heavily used... my grandfather was only in the uk from october to february each year, and then I had it a year until now... I've also not seen any zanussis on offer, but will keep an eye out.

I-S, May 23, 2005
Ask a Question