How does Media Player (WinXP) recognise CDs??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by domfjbrown, Mar 17, 2004.

1. domfjbrown

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Just curious, 'cos yesterday, Greatest Hits of 1989's second disc (for "Bring me Edielweiss" - he he!) was unrecognised, but the first disc was correctly identified - but with no "Disc 1" label.

So I did some tests; Hits 5 (incredibly rare) is listed too, but NOW10 isn't. In fact, a lot of NOW albums aren't listed - NOW11 (IIRC) is misread as NOW41, and I'm SURE the machine didn't recognise Minus' "Haldor Laxness" last week, but does now. I mean, the thing even knows about Silver Apples' album!!!!

So how do you go about submitting a listing??

And why the Hits bias over the NOW ones?? The NOW series is far superior - but are EMI compilations not as important as BMG ones?

Don't comment on my, err, taste btw - just nostalgic right now!!!

UPDATE - NOW10 Disc 2 IS recognised. Erm, odd...

domfjbrown, Mar 17, 2004
  2. domfjbrown

voodoo OdD

Dom, it must use the Grace Note CDdB which is VERY extensive. However, the names are actually added in by users. So if it's not in there, you can add it in but it will be subject to any input errors.

I've noticed that discs with similar track numbers/playing time are often associated with the wrong information. If this occurs you should should be given an option to choose the track info you want.

Go on - start pumping that NOW/HITS info on there :D.

voodoo, Mar 17, 2004
  3. domfjbrown

michaelab desafinado

MS MediaPlayer uses the database from AMG All Music Guide which can also supply cover artwork. Most other products use the database from Gracenote CDDB.

My Music Collectorz CD cataloguing sofware uses both but, particularly on older stuff, they can be quite unreliable. Double CD box sets are often a real PITA to get recognized correctly.

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 17, 2004
Ask a Question