how many mains spurs?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ditton, Oct 21, 2005.

1. ditton

ditton happy old soul

the prompt to look at PFM re the Mana story, had me look at the topic of the thread - dedicated mains spurs [how a gooner hates saying that word!!.

At present I have one mains spur for the ground floor, which serves some hifi/av kit installed in the front room, some hifi kit in the dining room, a computer in the study and in the kitchen the usual beasts: washing machine, dishwasher, fridge, gas c/h on/off and motor.

I have scope to install extra spur(s), but how many, and what to put on what?

I think my priority is to just to the front room, leaving dining room hifi to its fate - its a second system anyway. In the front room are two [quite] separate sets of separates: one for AV, the other for hifi:

a) hifi: poweramp (bc evo4)
    + daxdecade + transport + tuner + cassette deck
    b) AV: TV (toshiba 32 digital)
    + meridian 651 + tosh dvd + 'sky+' + mono amps (flying moles)

Thoughts are for one new spur for front room for a & b, reasoning that I either listen to music/hifi or watch/listen to AV, not both.

but is that enough? what are the marginal benefits of giving TV or poweramp their own juice? what of bc ev04 susceptibility?

I hope Wm and others can comment.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2005
    ditton, Oct 21, 2005
  2. ditton

lordsummit moderate mod

We're gonna wup your ass this weekend boyo! Or we would've done if that Henerey bloke wasn't fit again. If West Brom can do it Pyscho's barmy army will eat you alive :D

lordsummit, Oct 21, 2005
  3. ditton

ditton happy old soul

a blues 12 bar lament! not sure how to respond as I dont generallyget dragged into footy banter (just couldn't get that S word out without choking) and we aint playing like we should - or rather we do play but we aint netting like we ought. best dvd:
    Centurions, 100 goals by each of the Dutch Master and SimplyTheBest. If you've ever read Fever Pitch then you can empathise with suffering; if you watch Centurions then you can glimpse what its like to have a football team ..

but I digress, what about them mains, not Maines

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2005
    ditton, Oct 21, 2005
  4. ditton

lordsummit moderate mod

:D
    Fever pitch is such a good book

lordsummit, Oct 21, 2005
  5. ditton

Tom Alves

Just passing through.

A single spur is adequate but I'd suggest 10mm2 T&E is best. That said, my experience (non imperical) suggests more the merrier. At least one spur for source components and another for power amps etc. Me?, I have a dedicated CU and ten seperate 10mm2 T&E spurs but I had Roy Riches come for a week so it was only natural I went ott. One for each box in the setup plus a couple of spares. As always PT or email me if you want the documents discribing costs, parts and numerous variations. And yes, to my ears it does make a worthwhile improvement.

One word of caution. Since January you must have a certificate of compliance. These are only issued by electricians who charge for inspection work or when they have done the work themselves.

Tom Alves, Oct 21, 2005
  6. ditton

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

you can have as many fused spurs off a ring final circuit as you want,however you can olny take the same number of non fused spurs from the ring final circuit as there are outlets on the ring final circuit.Each spur can olny feed 1 single or 1 twin socket outlet or 1 permanently connect euqipment. o and a spur is defined as a branch of f the ring final circuit

themadhippy, Oct 21, 2005
  7. ditton

mosfet

Have a look here for a guide to all things hi-fi spur related ditton.

Boing Boing Baggies Baggies Boing Boing Baggies! :D :D

mosfet, Oct 21, 2005
  8. ditton

ditton happy old soul

thanks for all mains comments

(but I knew I'd regret that disclosure .... I'd kept it so quiet when we were walking on air!)

ditton, Oct 21, 2005
Ask a Question