How much do you think PC is worth?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Feb 1, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I have a complex operating system issue which involves me needing a new PC for a couple of months, basicaly I need a Windows 2000/XP Pro system capable of running Visual Studio 2003.NET and thats it.

I had thought about buying an old base unit but the cheap PII 450s are not capable or running VS smoothly so I have decided to buy my own as it will work out cheaper. I propose to build one the following systems:

Althlon 1800 and motherboard £66 new
    Silver case £18 new
    256MB RAM £25 new
    80GB HD £35 new
    32X CDRW - already have
    floppy already have
    Cost to build £144 - a bit steep!

system 2

VIA 800Mhz CPU + Motherboard £40 new
    Silver case new £18
    192MB DIMM (already got in)
    1 x 4.3GB HD (already have)
    1 x 3.2GB HD (already have)
    32X CDRW - already have
    floppy already have
    Total cost £58

system 3

Althlon 1800 and motherboard £66 new
    Silver case £18 new
    256MB RAM £25 new
    1 x 4.3GB HD (already have)
    1 x 3.2GB HD (already have)
    32X CDRW - already have
    floppy already have
    Cost to build £109

The problem is I have not much money so when I sell it I idealy need make at least break even on it.

How much would you say each base unit is worth? I tend to sell it with Madrake Linux.

amazingtrade, Feb 1, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

narabdela

Slightly off topic, but 256mb RAM is the bare minimum if you're going to use XP.

narabdela, Feb 1, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

julian2002 Muper Soderator

nope, i was running xp with 64 mb and a pII 400 for a while as my server. yes it was utter crap and the addition of extra memory was very beneficial but it's not an bare minimum - thanks to the wonder of virtual memory.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Feb 1, 2005
  4. amazingtrade

robert_cyrus

personally i'd go for the option 2 / £58 version, as you're making something by reusing parts you already have; then at the end you could sell or even give it away (in a fit of generosity).

robert_cyrus, Feb 1, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

I am hoping to get a copy of Windows 2000 and I will stick SP3 on that so it can run Visual Studio. My mums machine is a Duron 1GHz with 256MB RAM and Windows XP, it can handle photoshop duties very nicely its just useless at games or video editing.

Just realised the motherboards on the above system all require DDR and I only have spare PC133s so I need to add £20 to even the most basic system.

This machine is going to be used for the sole puprose of creating .NET webservices, its not being used as a main a PC so 256MB RAM should be enough.

I will be selling it with Mandrake 10 but it needs to be a windows PC beforehand.

The biggest expense is the case, its annoying the amount of old scruffy cases I have thrown out but I suppose if I am selling it the visual presentation has to be perfect.

6. amazingtrade

Yep my heart seems to be going towards the system 2, those VIA chips are supposed to be pretty reliable too as they run very cool.

It looks like the cost of this system is going to be £78 now though :(

7. amazingtrade

Been doing a bit of ebaying and I have decided to buy a second hand Althlon 1.1 and moterhboard so I can use my spare SDRAM PC133 memory in it, I also think the Athlon will perform much better than an VIA C3.

amazingtrade, Feb 3, 2005
Ask a Question