How old?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MO!, Oct 28, 2004.

1. MO!

PeteH Natural Blue

My violin will see your hundred years and raise you another forty-five - it's easier to bring on the plane too. :D

PeteH, Oct 29, 2004
  2. MO!

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I'm driving my bass speakers with a Sugden P51 circa 1970s (I think).

7_V, Oct 29, 2004
  3. MO!

lordsummit moderate mod

Ah now I'll raise the lot of you, my fiddle dates from 1791, and was allegedly made out of an Irish billiards table or at least the back was!

lordsummit, Oct 29, 2004
  4. MO!

PeteH Natural Blue

I'll fold :(

PeteH, Oct 29, 2004
  5. MO!

Croc

my AV processor is about 5 years old.
    my PRE is about 20 years old.
    my second speakers are about 30 years old.
    my power is more than 40 years old.

Croc, Oct 29, 2004
  6. MO!

JackOTrades

:)
    I know about the difficulties of flying a cello around. Cellists (well professional ones) always get paid to fly and therefore the cost includes the extra seat for the cello. When you go on your own expense (as I often do) then it is harder to spend the cash on a spare seat. Using a hardcase (a flightcase) usually works ok, but of course the risk is higher (so if the cello is worth tenths of thousands this is unlikely to be done).

However, I didn't know that if the cello was fairly new it would only pay for a child's seat :eek: . I must try that one! It's brilliant! :MILD:

I do however order a meal for the cello and eat both. After all, I paid for both! :p

:beer:
    Jack

JackOTrades, Nov 1, 2004
  7. MO!

JackOTrades

well, fair enough, but I've heard voilinists complain about having trouble even bringing it on the plane, "for security reasons"... rubbish! :rolleyes:

my violin is only about 90 years old, but it belonged to my great-grandpa. Still, I much prefer the sound of a cello to any violin... :p
    (i know, i'm biased).

:beer:
    Jack

JackOTrades, Nov 1, 2004
  8. MO!

JackOTrades

:eek:
    No, I can't beat that either... :(

Jack

JackOTrades, Nov 1, 2004
  9. MO!

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I'm still using Ditton 66/2s from about 1980..
    And I won't be changing them until:
    a) they melt and there's no possibility of repair (possible if I overdo the volume at the moment!)
    b) when a) happens, and speaker manufacturers start making speakers with at least 12" cones, preferably made of paper!

And I still use a Musical Fidelity B200 amp with 1970s Kef Cadenza speakers for the telly..

leonard smalls, Nov 3, 2004
  10. MO!

dunkyboy

Well I just bought a mint Rega Planar 2, with the old style wood surround and R200 arm, so it must be at least 20 years old, maybe 25..? Sounded rough with the old cart (an obscurer than obscure Adcom) but bought a shiny new Ortofon 520 and it's sounding glorious. :D

Dunc

dunkyboy, Nov 3, 2004
  11. MO!

jimmymcfarrell Anyone fancy a pint?

I'm regularly using a Nytech CTA252XDII and CXA252 active system with ARC 101s and it sounds really nice.
    I've also got an A&R A60 and SA60 active system with ARC 50s in the study. the A&Rs were serviced the other day and sound superb.
    Got some RAM Monitors which I've rewired with QED Silver Anniversary and they sound amazing (well for £60 anyway) and get used loads as well.
    I quite often forget about my TAG McLarens / AE120s and go for days listening to hifi thats all older than I am - but it makes the new setup seem even better when I go back to listening to it!!!!!!

jimmymcfarrell, Nov 3, 2004
  12. MO!

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

As I am fairly new to this forum I maybe covering old ground, so apologies if anyone has heard this before.

In my opinion, you are entitled to your own, is that older equipment sounds much more musical than modern equipment, please note I said musical not better !

I think this is partly to do with modern convenience living and people buying music are very much limited into buying a digital sound, therefore they do not know how music sounds, thus if not for a better term “They do not know any difference”

Most manufactures of equipment will follow the public in what they want, normally convenience, why earn £10 when you can earn £100 doing the same thing ! The recent trend has been for AV systems, as far as I know all AV is played digitally, thus the equipment is made to make a 1 or a 0 into a nice flowing curve, it is just not possible.

How many people do you know play music through an AV system, sounds awful ?

I have what I call half an AV system, in effect I have added AV to my Hi Fi system, but the AV system or half system is added in such a way that it does not interferer with my Hi Fi in any way shape or form.

To go back to the original question, the oldest thing I own, I think is a pair of Kef Reference 2s. However, as some of you are aware I am looking at a 15 year old Exposure 14 pre amp and 9 power supply, which is regarded as being the best sounding active pre amp.

I hope this answers your question !

Levi_501, Nov 3, 2004
  13. MO!

Mr.C

I totally agree with this idea. One hundred years ago the vast majority, if not all the music people listened to was live, and acoustic. Today that has been turned on its head - how many people listen to live acoustic music on a regular basis? The perception of what music sounds, and feels, like comes from our mini/midi/stereo/hifi/A/V system today, and that in turn relates directly to what we as music lovers expect to hear, and also to the type of sound that a manufacturer will try and achieve - something of a vicious cycle I believe :(

Mr.C, Nov 4, 2004
  14. MO!

Rocket 88

My two most recent purchases have been a Thorens TD124 mk1 and a Decca Gold (to use in a unipivot on a Cranfield Rock). My speakers I have had 15 years or so (Snells)and my valve amps are (ultra-reliable) Edison 12s which have served me for the same period. And now I want some horns (Vitavox Klipsch say)..
    My earth is getting flatter, you might say!
    However, I would argue that you shouldnt go back in time where phono stages are concerned. A Michell Iso blew away the phono stage in my Sumo Athena and that was $1000 dollars in its day. (And you wouldnt call the Michel the last wordnowwould you?)

Rocket 88, Jan 2, 2010
  15. MO!

RobHolt Moderator

There is some excellent old kit around but you need to cheery pick and buy very carefully because there also a lot of rubbish.
    Vintage kit that tends to still perform well today is pretty much the range topping or statement products from yesterday.

However, we have seen huge strides forward in electronics and manufacturing techniques so some proper perspective is needed.
    I recall reading Ross Walker of Quad stating that he had huge argument with his Father over the build process for both the ESL and ESL63. Essentially, the manufacture process for the latter in the 90s was still largely that applied to the older speaker in the 50s!
    The reject rate was approaching something like 50% - not sustainable for any company.
    Now you can buy effectively the same or better performance as a 63 in the current 900 series - and yes they are expensive, but terrific value against many high-end large speakers.
    I dread to think what they would cost is still manufactured by hand in Huntingdon!

RobHolt, Jan 2, 2010
  16. MO!

Smithy

My golden oldies are a Garrard 401/3012 and a pair of work in progress Dahlquist DQ10s.I keep on looking at the plans for Altec A7s as I have a pair of 803b bass units in my boys room.

Smithy, Jan 3, 2010
  17. MO!

hifispock hifispock

The oldest item in My system is My Mother... I use Her to wind My Gramophone:JPS:

hifispock, Jul 12, 2011
  18. MO!

speedy.steve

My tonearm must 30-40yrs old.
    Dac/transport 15yrs perhaps.

I don't use my Tannoy HPD's any more (they were early 70's) but do use a pair of JBL2482 drivers with phenolic diaphragms and I think they are pretty old.

speedy.steve, Jul 16, 2011
Ask a Question