How to get the best from a Benchmark Dac1

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Markus S, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Markus S

Markus S Trade

(Also posted on pfm)

There seem to be a number of people here who have a Dac1 these days. The information on how to get the best out of this Dac seems to be all over the place.

May I ask all users to give their tips and hints here, so we can collect it in one thread.

I'll start with something that may or may not be useful: a German review recently stated that the balanced output (XLR) of the Dac1 sounds better than the single-ended one (RCA), even when the unit is connected to an RCA input on your pre. This is said to be the case because the Dac1 generates a balanced signal internally and de-balances it through a bipolar transistor (someone with more technical nous than me please explain this; I think it means that the bipolar is used to invert the phase of of one side of the balanced output, which is then added to the other side's output?).

Anyway, the review recommended using the XLR outputs, only using pins 1 and 2 on the sockets and not doing anything with pin 3, for lowest distortion.

I've had one of my cables converted to an XLR plug on one side, as prescribed above, to connect it to an RCA input on my pre. First impressions are of a slight but worthwhile improvement. I'll do a more thorough comparison over the weekend.

Markus S, Oct 20, 2005
  2. Markus S

Garmt

Change all standard NE5532 (SMD) opamps by Burr Browns and further improve the power supply.

Garmt, Oct 20, 2005
  3. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

Or better still replace the Ne5532 with ad8065 or ad847. Then install a better output buffer and stepped attenuator as well as improving the psu.

anon_bb, Oct 20, 2005
  4. Markus S

zanash

Use decent cables .....clean mains feed to the whole hifi chain....look at the units support in an attempt to minimise transmitted vibration.

zanash, Oct 21, 2005
  5. Markus S

michaelab desafinado

:cry: :banghead: :rolleyes:

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 21, 2005
  6. Markus S

Markus S Trade

MOFW today, Michael?

Markus S, Oct 21, 2005
  7. Markus S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

strange I knew Mike would say that :D
    And I'll happily demo cable changes with it too. as they make NO difference with this unit I will look a wazzack :D ;)
    Though thats not the reason I've posted, I really tweaked this unit up, I feel its the internet hypebol machine at work (ala' NOS dac too)
    Its just not that special and as it sound the same as all cdp's, buying a 63KI would have been just as fruitful :)
    Its also very piccky about system placement, (fitting in with other kit)
    I go back to from time to time just for acid test, still have the same feelings about, its OK nothing more.
    bound to get lynched, cest la' vive'

wadia-miester, Oct 21, 2005
  8. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

CDPs do tend to sound pretty much the same. Especially if no care has been taken with the output stage, psu etc. Only dacs like the PT de capo and a few others sound radically different - with prop dac and discrete filters and an output stage derived from the pip preamp and a discrete regulator psu. Can you make a few other recommendations tony? I quite like some of the avi players too - solid engineering and good psu and o/p stages - even though they use off the shelf dac and filters - a bargain 2nd hand.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2005
    anon_bb, Oct 21, 2005
  9. Markus S

michaelab desafinado

Markus - MOFW? I'm guessing - Man Of Few Words?

michaelab, Oct 21, 2005
  10. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Yep.

Markus S, Oct 21, 2005
Ask a Question