How to set overhang?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dunkyboy, Apr 18, 2005.

1. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

So, uh, how do you know when your cartridge's overhang is correct? I use the HFN test record's supplied cartridge alignment chart to align the cartridge - do I need something else to set overhang?

Cheers,

Dunc

dunkyboy, Apr 18, 2005
  2. dunkyboy

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

If you used a two point alignment protractor and the cart lined up at both points ... then its already set.

Uncle Ants, Apr 18, 2005
  3. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Well, I've got it lined up as best I could... Never quite got it exactly right at both points. Is this perhaps a symptom of incorrect overhang...? Is there a guide somewhere for setting overhang maybe?

Dunc

dunkyboy, Apr 18, 2005
  4. dunkyboy

Joolsburger

its a pain in the bum to do but the two point system is very accurate. Try again and with enough fiddling you'll get it right.

Joolsburger, Apr 18, 2005
  5. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

I was afraid you were going to say that. :(

Oh well, no pain, no gain.......

Dunc

dunkyboy, Apr 18, 2005
  6. dunkyboy

Yes it is. Get it lined up on the first point, if its skewed on the second point the cart needs to go a bit forward or backward in its mounting. Move it and try it again (if it gets worse you probably moved it the wrong direction). Not doing the mounting bolts up too tight during this stage and leaving one looser than the other helps. When it lines up on both points and only then is it properly aligned and overhang correctly set. Worth it though. Like you say, no pain no gain. ;)

To be honest, once you've done it a couple of times its pretty quick and painless.

When you do the final tighten, hold the arm firmly and don't overtighten, some say you can damage the bearings if you aren't careful when doing this and suggest you actually remove the arm. I don't bother personally, and I've not knackered any bearings yet (that I know of), but then I try to be careful.

Uncle Ants, Apr 18, 2005
  7. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Yeah, my friend whose dad is a longtime Linn junkie insists that you MUST remove the arm when tightening the bolts or you WILL ruin the bearings... Seems crazy to me, and hugely impractical. Actually, you're the only person other than him that I've ever seen mention it. :)

Dunc

dunkyboy, Apr 19, 2005
  8. dunkyboy

Well I'm sure if you went at it like a bull in a china shop you could do some damage. But frankly cartridge alignment really would be a pain in the arse if you had to do it this way. Its too easy once you've got it just so to knock it out again when you finally tighten the bolts and if you had to remove the arm you would have to recheck alignment once remounted, realign if you'd knocked it out, unmount the arm try again etc. Life's too short. Its easier just to be careful.

Edit: and in my wanderings I found this, which is a pretty solid guide to how to use a twp point protractor as well as some useful discussion as to what kind of protractor.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2005
    Uncle Ants, Apr 19, 2005
Ask a Question