Hybrid amps anyone?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by la toilette, Aug 14, 2007.

1. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

I was thinking of changing from my valve amp back to SS, but then thought of the hybrids I've seen about.

So, do hybrids supply the solid bottom end of SS coupled with silky valve loveliness, or do they fail to deliver on one or both counts?

Basically the story is that whilst my Copland was having it's melting resistor problem diagnosed and fixed (which turned out to be partially my fault for not checking that the 1 amp fuse that the shop gave me was in fact a 1 amp one, and not a 10 amp one :() I was using my old 70's Marantz receiver as an interim, and although it wasn't close on overfall sound quality, it kicked arse on bass drums compared to the Copland! So, I'm contemplating a change.

la toilette, Aug 14, 2007
  2. la toilette

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i use a hybrid amp - a vincent sp-t100 which i find gives me a healthy dose of valve lovelyness with some ss bollocks. neither is as good as the best in each category but as a cost / performance compromise it's served me well for the past few years. i may be changing them in the near future but only because my musical priorities may be changing but for the moment i love 'em.

julian2002, Aug 14, 2007
  3. la toilette

Mister_Tad coffee bunnee

I'm a big advocate of hybrids as well, have a Pathos ClassicOne mk2

from the hybrids I've heard, they do have an aspect of "best of both worlds", but as julian said, I don't think they're ever going to beat the best in either category. They certainly can give decent bang/£ though.

Mister_Tad, Aug 14, 2007
  4. la toilette

kmac

Another hybrid owner here - Pathos TT. Agree you do get best of both worlds. Very happy with mine. Havn't heard that many hybrids (other than Pathos Classic One Mk2and a Dk designs, now called LSA Refererence Mk2) The latter sounded a bit "sharp" to me for a valve input stage so I do think you still need to choose carefully to get the sound you want.

kmac, Aug 14, 2007
  5. la toilette

Elberoth

Mister is on the money. Even my 16.000 GBP Lamms M1.2 Reference hybrid monos could be described this way.

Elberoth, Aug 15, 2007
  6. la toilette

Thanks for the replies, sounds like a hybrid may be worth looking out for as a good compromise for me, if I can find a well reviewed one in my price range. Good stuff, cheers chaps :).

P.S. Julian, if you're serious about selling your Vincents in the not too distant, do let me know what you'd be after for them!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2007
    la toilette, Aug 15, 2007
  7. la toilette

hifienthusiast

Don't forget the Unico hybrid integrated amp which sounds superb, especially the stock ECC82 valves are changed to Mullard :). It has the midrange to die for.

hifienthusiast, Aug 16, 2007
  8. la toilette

Found a 2nd hand Unico for sale, cheque is in the post, wehey!

Now all I need to do is to sell the Copland to pay for it, quick-smart like.....;)

la toilette, Aug 18, 2007
  9. la toilette

Rana

I had a 10 year old Vincent behemoth hybrid earlier this year and it was fab (once I got it working again). I sometimes regret selling it. Vincent amps are now made in China but I expect quality would be as good if not better than the German ones. They are certainly better looking than they used to be!

Rana, Aug 27, 2007
  10. la toilette

JANDL100

Yup, nice amp - I had one a while back. Valve smoothness & naturalness and solid state crunch & control - great fun.

JANDL100, Aug 27, 2007
  11. la toilette

Jimbo

Yes they are made by Shengya and i have one of the Behemoths.

Someone said do they do bass, well i think mine does and at 150 watts per channel loads in reserve.

Bought mine straight from China so some good deals against Vincent prices. Jim.

Jimbo, Aug 27, 2007
  12. la toilette

Received my Unico yesterday, sounds bloody great! Perhaps not as sweet at the top end as the Copland but easily as good in the mid range and bass is smooth and extended, and has the punch that I was looking for. Good call hifienthusiast, very pleased.

And what's more the copland sold within a few hours of me sticking it on ebay, :cool:

Might look out for some alternative ecc82's in time, for a bit of tube rolling fun, but for now I'll just sit back and enjoy the music!

la toilette, Aug 31, 2007
  13. la toilette

hifienthusiast

Glad to hear that you like the Unico. I had the Unico P and it sounded marvellous, midrange is easily warmer and more real than a Sugden A21a. Your Unico has more power than the Unico P.

hifienthusiast, Sep 1, 2007
Ask a Question