Hybrid tube/ss amps?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sanj, Jun 3, 2004.

1. sanj

sanj follow the tao

Being the lucky purchaser of the cal sigma II dac (from sideshowbob, who BTW is a the most laid back/easy going seller I've come across :) ), I've got tempted by tubes, well a bit more.

What do folks think about the few hybrid tube/ss amps out there? Not ready yet to go the full tube amp way and also amp would be driving a pair of dyn contours 1.3 mk2.

I suspect getting a tubed preamp would be more sensible, but adding another box is difficult to justify & nor do I have the space.

I've come across the jolida 1501 which has rave reviews us-wise, but sometimes anything with tubes gets +ve reviews. In uk, the RC version can be had for £650 new, & can be imported for a bit less
    Also, there's the unison research unico amp.

My budget would be around 650 new or s/h.
    Any thoughts on the jolida or other hybrid amps would be appreciated

cheers
    sanj

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2004
    sanj, Jun 3, 2004
  2. sanj

Lt Cdr Data om

my thoughts are don't mix really, either have it all both ways trans. or tubes. There are tranny amps that can sound tubey, and tube amps that can sound like a bad tranny, namely kt88s.

Lt Cdr Data, Jun 3, 2004
  3. sanj

merlin

Maybe a little sweeping and misguided there LCD:)

IMO, the quality of a valve amp seems to have as much to do with the transformer as the tube itself. What does a vavle amp sound like then?

merlin, Jun 3, 2004
  4. sanj

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Also I think that KT88 are better than you do. It's all in the implementation, whether SS or valve.

I do agree with the some SS sound tubey and visa versa though. And I do agree about all one or the other, except convenience re remote control where just about every SS has got oe whilst most valves one don't. (real men don't use remotes ;) )

LiloLee, Jun 3, 2004
  5. sanj

Tenson Moderator

Well, just to muddle things up a bit... I think its far far better to go for a valve pre with a solid-state power.

The Jolida you mentioned is a good amp.... though not hugely exciting.

Tenson, Jun 3, 2004
  6. sanj

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

hmm.

Tom be honest, I think the Dyn's you have need power to thrive.

Ive heard them with a warm sounding amp to good effect (a long time ago)..

Difficult to get the power from valve you need on your budget. Or morever, its difficult to get a QUALITY valve sound on that budget, even second hand.

I'd probably stick solid state on that budget if it were me.

From my old favourite the emporium, these sound interesting..:

YAMAHA F2200 professional series power amp 200 watts per channel,big
    and heavy with grab handles, gain controls and vu meters 350

THRESHOLD CAS 2 100 watt per channel mosfet power amp, boxed 500

QUAD 77 PRE, carbon with system remote 400

ATC PREAMP, sc2 half width line only, boxed 500

DNM 2 preamp, metal cased but 3 boards, mc 400

DOLAN PM1 canadian high end amp, used to be a stereophile recommended
    component,
    excellent phonostage with adjustable gain,impedance
    etc,CHAMPAGNE FRONT 2500 600

To get quality power from valves, you'd need to up your budget in my humble opo.,.. about 1,500 ish for a pre/pow used.

Chris

bottleneck, Jun 3, 2004
  7. sanj

sanj follow the tao

Ta for the replies so far.

I've pretty much ruled out valve amps for now, in terms of expense and maintenance.

Tube preamp (with ss power amp which I could use my existing integ. caspian for) is tempting, but no way can I add another box - so says the g/f! Also, could I live without a remote control :rolleyes:

So the 1-box hybrid tube/ss amp is a possibility.
    Otherwise tubey sounding ss amps like the AA puccini se? (though not sure if it could drive the dyns, but I don't play music at room shaking levels)

sanj, Jun 3, 2004
  8. sanj

merlin

I think you are going to be better off saving up a little more and spending around £1000 s/h for something like a Primare A30 or Sim I-3 to be honest. You are going to need that kind of amp to properly drive the Dyn's IMO.

merlin, Jun 3, 2004
  9. sanj

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Why? Not that I entirely disagree with you, just interested in your opinion.

LiloLee, Jun 3, 2004
  10. sanj

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Sanj, no disrespect to the puccini mate, but some of the combinations mentioned above (and others like them) are IMHO in a different league.

NB If you sold your existing amp, would your budget increase to 850 ish?

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Jun 3, 2004
  11. sanj

penance Arrogant Cock

dare i mention Rotel?

penance, Jun 3, 2004
  12. sanj

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Only with appropriate mains treatments ;)

technobear, Jun 3, 2004
  13. sanj

penance Arrogant Cock

indeed:)

penance, Jun 3, 2004
  14. sanj

sanj follow the tao

Penace: I think a rotel would be a bit too upfront for my tender ears, esp. with the all too revealing dyns.

Bootleneck: Hmm...I was planning to sell my current amp and spend not too much more. But I can see the logic in pushing it up to the 8-900 mark if it jumps to another league. Though, my bank balance is shouting NO! NO!

The Exposure 3010 new is for 800quid, which may be another possibility, if I do go on a spending spree. Any ideas how it compares against the primare?
    In essence, looking for that warmish sound that ain't fatiguing, but with the power of ss.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2004
    sanj, Jun 3, 2004
  15. sanj

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

why?
    you could always bi amp,using solid state at the bottom and valves for the top,and if you take things one step further you could even split the crossover into valve and solid state,but then again youd have to be pretty mad to do that,but it does sound rather nice

themadhippy, Jun 3, 2004
  16. sanj

Tenson Moderator

... in my experience an all valve system can not do rock music. They simply have too high levels of distortion and they sound 'shouty' and too loud at a decent volume. It's not that they don't have bass, or PRaT or anything.. just that they have too much distortion.

Solid state obviously is harsh sometimes and lacks finesse. I have found that a valve pre with solid-state power gives ultra low distortion and keeps the smooth silky finesse of valves. I especially like the treble. I think its something to do with the harmonics.

You have to match the pre with power very carefully though. Personally I am running an active pair of PMC speakers (AML1's) with a 'Ming Da MC-7R' pre-amp. The pre-amp is a very fast sounding one compared to a lot but still have warmth.

Just my 3$ (my 2cence is free!) ..sorry I think that's a lyric from something ;)

Tenson, Jun 3, 2004
  17. sanj

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Tenson wrote,
    "in my experience an all valve system can not do rock music. They simply have too high levels of distortion and they sound 'shouty' and too loud at a decent volume. It's not that they don't have bass, or PRaT or anything.. just that they have too much distortion."

You obviously haven't heard many valve systems then

wadia-miester, Jun 3, 2004
  18. sanj

Robbo

Tenson,

Utter bollocks mate, sorry.

Robbo, Jun 3, 2004
  19. sanj

Philip King Enlightened User

"you could always bi amp, using solid state at the bottom and valves for the top, and if you take things one step further you could even split the crossover into valve and solid state, but then again you'd have to be pretty mad to do that, but it does sound rather nice"

I've been thinking about this option for a while now, I currently run active speakers using 4 out of the 5 channels on my Rotel 1095. Using tubes for the top end has a real appeal, as does changing the huge Rotel block for a smaller class D/T thingy.

Or as someone else pointed out a tube pre with a SS power can sound pretty good as well. I've heard the Hovland Pre with the Halcros (the big looking H shaped things?) and that sounded really cool.

Hmm so many options......:D

Philip King, Jun 3, 2004
  20. sanj

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Tenison,

I have to go along with Robbie & Big Tone on this one. It seems you haven't heard many different valve amps. As Lilolee as pointed out, it's all in the implementation, whether SS or valve.

I suggest you read
    this thread. Take note of the comments with regards to AC/DC.

There are a number of areas that will improve a valve amp. Power supplies & output transformers are just two of the main ones. To do this, it cost more money.

Like with SS, matching with suitable speakers will give excellent results.

Hi Sanj,

I wouldn't just look at hybrids at that price. I would look at some of the suggestions made. I don't know your speakers but on the face of it it does seem that they do need some driving. You need to have a few dems if possible.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jun 3, 2004
Ask a Question